1309 users online (271 members and 1038 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

OK~Coach, Ben Forsythe, charged with rape/"affair" with 18 yr. old player

Here's a very interesting case I stumbled upon. Make sure to read the details. I was all ready to fire off another letter to the editor about rape of a student never being an affair but now I'm unsure, being that the woman in question is 18.

The law is crystal clear and my guess is that Mr. Forsythe knew the law and thus will have to face the music. He can't say that this issue wasn't mentioned in coach training. There is the issue of authority.

As I said, a very interesting case to watch.

http://enidnews.com/localnews/x14981...o-face-charges

Former coach to face charges

"A former Hennessey [OK] girls basketball coach will face charges accusing him of having an affair with a student. Ben Davis Forsythe, who has been charged with two counts of second-degree rape, will face the charges after a judge ruled against a motion filed by his attorney claiming the charges were unconstitutional...."

and

"....Associate District Judge Robert Davis saw otherwise and overruled the motion and bound Forsythe over on the charges. Forsythe is accused of having an affair with a student, who also was a basketball player, between Feb. 1 and April 1, 2010. The student was 18 at the time.

According to state statues, rape includes situations “where the victim is at least 16 years of age and is less than 20 years of age and is a student, or under the legal custody or supervision of any public or private elementary or secondary school, junior high or high school, or public vocational school, and engages in sexual intercourse with a person who is 18 years of age or older and is an employee of the same school system.”

more at link (plus comments)

My guess is that this case is going to generate a lot of debate in Oklahoma. I know it's bothering me. As much as I do NOT want to see people of authority misusing it for sexual gain, something seems amiss here. There are many many ways to have authority over a person. Does this mean that if this young woman worked as an employee at a local grocery store or restaurant and this man was her boss, that noone would consider this a case of rape? It's strictly confined to authority in the schools? The way the law reads is that certain agents of the state are in violation if they have sexual relations with a person under their authority. What about state colleges, state employees or LE? I see a lot of land mines in this case. And who brought the complaint? What would have happened if the couple would have married? JMO.

I don't know the answer and the law seems clear. But sometimes, it is real live cases such as this that bring about changes to the law. I just don't understand how a young adult can vote and enter the military but not be trusted to choose his/her sexual partners.

ETA: I guess this issue has come up before, quite recently, for this town:

http://enidnews.com/localnews/x16665...draws-concerns

DCLA coach’s past draws concerns
    Prior termination for moral turpitude raises questions
    Last edited by Missizzy; 03-18-2011 at 11:23 PM.

Well, gee, that last article was a real joy to slog through. Why can't men and women who work with children and teens seek companionship with people their own age? I was going to say of "and of similar maturity" but I have to say that this young woman sounds FAR more mature than the coach who is pursuing her.

I have no problem with an 18 year old dating an older person but there's something so slimy about a coach or a teacher or employer (not covered in the OK law) wielding power of a younger person...even if it merely implied. It's just not healthy or right. I'd be upset too, if I was a parent of students in this district.

To me, it seems that children and teens are literally "hit on" non-stop. I think it's always been this way, to tell the truth. So, our kids have to be raised to resist and report this garbage. A youth can't even go out for track anymore it seems. Or choir, or scouts or church youth group..........

What a sad commentary on the state of our youth.