Berlin zoo: Beloved polar bear Knut has died

Dark Knight

Reaction score
BERLIN – Berlin's beloved polar bear Knut, who rose to stardom when he was hand-raised by zoo keepers after being rejected by his mother rejected at birth, died on Saturday, a zoo official said.

The world-famous bear died alone in his compound, bear keeper Heiner Kloes told The Associated Press.

"He was by himself in his compound, he was in the water, and then he was dead," said Kloes. "He was not sick, we don't know why he died."

A post mortem will be conducted on Monday to try pinpoint his cause of death, he said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110319/ap_on_re_eu/eu_germany_knut_death

RIP Knut! You were a rock star during your short life. :(

:( Poor widdle Knut.
Run free at the bridge dude, no more cage for you.

How sad, especially at his young age. :cry:

Rest in Peace, Knut :rose:

This is so sad. I didn't know about Knut until a couple of years ago; Baby Mr. E had to listen to the "Knut" song on youtube and read a Knut board book before going to bed. She loved that little guy (although I realize he wasn't little when he passed)!

Poor Knut, I just adore polar bears and he my fav. Maybe his mom sensed something when she refused to care for him? I recall there being a big uproar that people interviened to save him. I'm still glad they did. He was one cool bear:)

R.I.P. Knut

Poor Knut, I just adore polar bears and he my fav. Maybe his mom sensed something when she refused to care for him? I recall there being a big uproar that people interviened to save him. I'm still glad they did. He was one cool bear:)

R.I.P. Knut

I think it would be extremely unlikely for the mother to sense he was going to die four years later after being perfectly healthy all this time. From what I've read, he was moved into the enclosure with three adult older female bears (one was his mother) and might have been suffering stress as a result. I also hope that when they do an autopsy they check his blood to see if he ingested something, especially considering he did receive a death threat in the past.

"An attempt to get him to mate with a female polar bear failed and when he was moved into an enclosure last year with three older female bears, including his mother, Tosca, animal rights organisations and fans complained he was being bullied and suffering stress as a result."
http://www.thenational.ae/news/worldwide/europe/germans-mourn-death-of-polar-bear-knut?pageCount=0

How sad. :( RIP Knut. :heartbeat:

I think we watched a movie about Knut? I remember being so sad when I read that his person that he was so attached to died. RIP, Knut...

ETA... Yes it was 'Knut and Friends'...

Berlin zoo: Brain problems led to Knut's death

BERLIN – Brain problems apparently caused the shockingly early death of Knut, Germany's four-year-old celebrity polar bear, the Berlin Zoo said Tuesday.

Initial findings from a necropsy performed Monday by an institute in the German capital showed "significant changes to the brain, which can be viewed as a reason for the polar bear's sudden death," the zoo said in a statement.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110322/ap_on_re_eu/eu_germany_knut_death

There is a video on liveleak that shows his passing. He definitely appeared to suffer some kind of seizure before falling into the water. So sad but at least he went quickly. RIP Kunt!

oh so sad :( poor bear its so sad his own mom rejected him too ..

R.I.P. Knut

His autopsy showed no sign of any genetic defects.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BossJoss
Back