1429 users online (318 members and 1111 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

OK - Hospice nurse who had sex with dying patient loses lawsuit

Oklahoma nurse who had sex with dying patient loses lawsuit to get her license reinstated

The Shawnee hospice nurse who had sex with her dying, disabled patient lost her legal efforts to get her nursing license reinstated.

The Oklahoma Nursing Board in August revoked Amber Van Brunt's license for 20 years for unprofessional conduct. She appealed, but an Oklahoma County judge upheld the disciplinary action.
    ---
    The story within the story:
    ---
    A few days later, the nurse wrote she had to tell him something and that he was probably going to dump her. She then wrote, I'm knocked up so we can't have cocktails. She also wrote she was sorry.
    ---
    Chris Reiter attempted suicide on March 4, 2010, two days after the nurse told him she was pregnant from another relationship, according to the evidence. He was hospitalized. His wife, Liz Reiter, then discovered graphic text messages that revealed the affair.
    ---
    more sordid details plus a picture at link above

Amazing that she would try to get her license re-instated. I guess that just goes to show that we all have different views of reality.

I thought the twenty year revocation might have been a bit stiff; true, the behavior was unprofessional by any standard, but nurses are an invaluable commodity and, if redeemable, perhaps ought not to be cast off for two decades.

I'm an RN and my first reaction from the headline was OMG but reading along it's clear this was a consensual relationship with a patient "healthy" enough to enjoy sex, albeit about as inappropriate as you could possibly get.

What makes this disgusting is the mental atmosphere in this nurse that enabled her to give herself PERMISSION to do such a thing in the first place. There is something wrong with the character of this woman, and 20 years is NOT long enough unless she gets a personality transplant.

I've been a nurse for 20 years, and have watched many nurses come and go. Student nurses with characterological disorders like this chick get weeded out fairly early on, most of the time. Their sense of entitlement, lack of empathy and disregard for basic decency is incompatible with nursing itself. Obviously, a few of the cleverer ones slip past. They can usually put on a pretty good "show", are charismatic and smart enough to fly under the radar.

Nurses are in a position of responsibility and authority over vulnerable people. It's the LEAST we can do to not have SEX with them or steal their medication for god's sake.

Truthful Lies is offline "Life shrinks and expands in proportion to one's courage" ~ Anas Nin
    Quote Originally Posted by wfgodot View Post
    I thought the twenty year revocation might have been a bit stiff; true, the behavior was unprofessional by any standard, but nurses are an invaluable commodity and, if redeemable, perhaps ought not to be cast off for two decades.
    This deserves more than a "thanks" =) I agree completely. I understand other's views as well. Not a good situation, but she wasn't a predator (IMOO).
    Where is Jennifer Kesse? www.findjenniferkesse.com

the woman sounds like a sociopath, she likely hastened the poor man's death after hurting his heart.
    i really hope the wife and children win the lawsuit.