970 users online (193 members and 777 guests)  


Websleuths News


Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    The South, USA
    Posts
    2,405

    Children's Train Derails

    http://www.wyff4.com/news/27249257/detail.html

    This is a children's train in a park my family likes to frequent. It's a lovely park. Baby Mr. E has never ridden the train, as she's always been too little (in my opinion).

    The boy who died is from my hometown.

    This is just a sad, sad tragedy. This train has operated for something like 50 years without a problem.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    The wild Rogue
    Posts
    691
    So sad

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    12,328
    Oh sooo sad. I'm sorry this hit so close to home for you

    Hugs,

    Mel

  4. #4
    keeponsearching's Avatar
    keeponsearching is offline The mighty Oak was once a little nut that stood its ground.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    3,332
    Very sad. And to hear it pass inspection just wednesday, goes to show accidents can very well happen no matter how much we try to prevent them

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    The South, USA
    Posts
    2,405
    http://www.wyff4.com/news/27255357/detail.html

    Just an update. I've heard from some friends that the mother of the little boy who died has gone into labor. I can't even imagine what their family is going through right now.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    2,210
    So sad. We have an old train like that here at our local city park. As a matter of fact, we were just there on Saturday with my daughter. I was wondering as we went round and round what would happen if the thing derailed. Many areas are covered by guard rails but several areas that are around rocky creek beds just like the ones in these pictures are not. I think I will forward this to our park officials.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Posts
    6,178
    Quote Originally Posted by keeponsearching View Post
    Very sad. And to hear it pass inspection just wednesday, goes to show accidents can very well happen no matter how much we try to prevent them
    I don't have the link right now, but I heard that it wasn't actually inspected. The inspector signed off on it without actually inspecting the train.
    I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it left.


  8. #8
    Daisyjane's Avatar
    Daisyjane is offline "All the clouds are clearing, and I think we're over the storm."
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    721
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuffy View Post
    I don't have the link right now, but I heard that it wasn't actually inspected. The inspector signed off on it without actually inspecting the train.
    Here's an article on that inspection. Seems there was a dead battery.

    Spartanburg, SC --
    The inspector of a miniature train that crashed Saturday injuring dozens and killing one was terminated, according to Gov. Nikki Haley.

    Haley, along with the head of the LLR, Catherine Templeton, talked about the crash Monday at a news conference in Columbia. Templeton said the inspector, Donnie Carrigan, did not report a dead battery on the mini train on the day of inspection.

    Because of the dead battery, Carrigan was not able to check the speed of the train. Templeton says the permit to operate the train should not have been issued. Because the battery was not mentioned in the report, Carrigan was terminated for falsifying documents. He has been an inspector for 20 years.

    Officials at the news conference say Carrigan came to them immediately and admitted he did not report the dead battery on the inspection report.

    Templeton says Carrigan’s national certification, along with national certification for six other inspectors, was lapsed. All seven inspectors, however, still had basic certification.


    http://www2.wspa.com/news/2011/mar/2...rk-ar-1601189/
    Last edited by Daisyjane; 03-22-2011 at 05:54 PM. Reason: to correct link

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    STEELER COUNTRY!
    Posts
    27,332
    I just saaw this on WTAE news.
    Horrifying.............
    Kyron, HALEIGH, ADJI & Gabriel NEEDS PRAYERS NOW TO FIND THEM!. Zahra & Jonathan in heaven
    Justice for Hailey!!!!
    No Justice for Caylee Marie..........

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Not Alabama but Sweet Home just the same , SC
    Posts
    126
    This is local for me. It is so very sad! The funeral was on Thursday. The inspector who faked the inspection has been fired but I hope he is pursued criminally. If he had actually inspected the train this tragedy could have been prevented.


  11. #11
    keeponsearching's Avatar
    keeponsearching is offline The mighty Oak was once a little nut that stood its ground.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    3,332
    Quote Originally Posted by Daisyjane View Post
    Here's an article on that inspection. Seems there was a dead battery.

    Spartanburg, SC --
    The inspector of a miniature train that crashed Saturday injuring dozens and killing one was terminated, according to Gov. Nikki Haley.

    Haley, along with the head of the LLR, Catherine Templeton, talked about the crash Monday at a news conference in Columbia. Templeton said the inspector, Donnie Carrigan, did not report a dead battery on the mini train on the day of inspection.

    Because of the dead battery, Carrigan was not able to check the speed of the train. Templeton says the permit to operate the train should not have been issued. Because the battery was not mentioned in the report, Carrigan was terminated for falsifying documents. He has been an inspector for 20 years.

    Officials at the news conference say Carrigan came to them immediately and admitted he did not report the dead battery on the inspection report.

    Templeton says Carrigan’s national certification, along with national certification for six other inspectors, was lapsed. All seven inspectors, however, still had basic certification.


    http://www2.wspa.com/news/2011/mar/2...rk-ar-1601189/
    This scares me so much. My husband use to inspect bridges, and carnival rides. He was very strict and did the right thing. But somethings he has told me, like we are never allow to ride some of those rides unless he inspected it, because sometimes he gets crap when he wants stuff redone. Of course he does the right thing, but It makes me wonder about who doesn't. I am always worried on elevators.. Or even planes. Just hoping there are more honest people out there than not.
    For this man, glad he step up. Now he will have to remember that after 20 years on a job he let something go and it cost a childs life, and a family one member short

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    The South, USA
    Posts
    2,405
    Quote Originally Posted by keeponsearching View Post
    This scares me so much. My husband use to inspect bridges, and carnival rides. He was very strict and did the right thing. But somethings he has told me, like we are never allow to ride some of those rides unless he inspected it, because sometimes he gets crap when he wants stuff redone. Of course he does the right thing, but It makes me wonder about who doesn't. I am always worried on elevators.. Or even planes. Just hoping there are more honest people out there than not.
    For this man, glad he step up. Now he will have to remember that after 20 years on a job he let something go and it cost a childs life, and a family one member short
    This is just terrifying. I've always been wary of carnival rides, but it makes you wonder about things we take for granted every day, like elevators.

    Gaffney is a small town, so the little boy's death has affected everyone in some way. If you didn't know the family, you knew people who knew the family. I've seen lots of pictures of him on facebook recently. What a sweet, happy little boy he seemed to be. Nearly 600 people attended his funeral; his dad was injured in the crash.

    http://www.wyff4.com/news/27311682/detail.html



Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-08-2016, 02:30 PM
  2. To train up a child, book has lead to the death of 3 children
    By zombiepie in forum General Information & Discussion
    Replies: 100
    Last Post: 11-26-2013, 06:43 PM
  3. Amtrak Train Derails in South Carolina
    By BetteDavisEyes in forum Up to the Minute
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-25-2013, 12:50 PM
  4. Baltimore County - freight train derails, major fire
    By Wolf Dreamer in forum Up to the Minute
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-28-2013, 06:39 PM
  5. Beer Train Derails
    By sherri79 in forum Bizarre and Off-Beat News
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-30-2007, 07:29 PM