992 users online (168 members and 824 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Deposition: Michael Vincent, CSI

Here is the lead-in and link to Michael Vincent's deposition.

http://www.cfnews13.com/article/news...l-Caseys-jury-

ose Baez: What did the car smell like?
    Vincent: It smelled like a dead body.
    Baez: And how do you know that?
    Vincent: Through my experience of dealing with a lot of decompositions.
    Baez: How many decomposing bodies have you encountered in your career?
    Vincent: Probably anywhere from 30 to 40.
    Baez: And how many cars have you dealt with that you've processed that had a bag of garbage in the trunk for 3 weeks?
    Vincent: Never.
    ============================================

That 'garbage' argument is going nowhere. No jury is going to believe that rotting pizza
    will overpower or mimic the smell of a dead body. I HOPE Baez stays with this line of defense.

The 'air samples' do sound more problematic however. I never knew they were Mellech's idea and the CSI tech had NEVER tried them before. That could be a problem.
    “Every day that they don’t find something is good for me.“ Billie Dunn

JSR is offline Maybe all one can do is hope to end up with the right regrets. -Arthur Miller
    Fine then. I say let the jury decide. Have them examine a car that has had garbage in it for over 30 days and then have them examine a car that has had a dead body in it.

Then try to float that argument to the jury. I'm pretty sure the defense doesn't want that scenario to go down.

There's no way a jury is going to buy the garbage or dead squirrel story.
    Indeed the Irony IS Rich

Jodi Arias- "Quick on the slime, Slow on the facts"- From Juan's Closing Argument

"The difference between a stumbling block and stepping stone is the character of the person walking the path."- Travis Victor Alexander

I work at a bar... and I can tell you that the smell of liquor, beer, food, puke, smells BAD when you get near the dumpster, but I can tell you that when an animal died in the dumster... I could tell the difference!! An animal! I don't know what a human body decomposing smells like, but I can tell you a decomposing animal has it's own unique smell to it! I am sure the same can be said about a human body decomposing.

Quote Originally Posted by JSR View Post
    Fine then. I say let the jury decide. Have them examine a car that has had garbage in it for over 30 days and then have them examine a car that has had a dead body in it.

Then try to float that argument to the jury. I'm pretty sure the defense doesn't want that scenario to go down.

There's no way a jury is going to buy the garbage or dead squirrel story.
    If I remember correctly, the jury in the Michael Peterson trial went to his house and inspected the murder site at the stairwell, so I don't see a problem with the jury being able to inspect the car and decide for themselves "does it smell like a dead body?" - I so hope the State is able to push for this to happen, especially when Baez is saying the dogs were wrong, LE is wrong, all the FBI analysts are wrong, in fact everyone is wrong about the car smelling like a dead body in Baez fairy world.

Quote Originally Posted by LolaMoon08 View Post
    I work at a bar... and I can tell you that the smell of liquor, beer, food, puke, smells BAD when you get near the dumpster, but I can tell you that when an animal died in the dumster... I could tell the difference!! An animal! I don't know what a human body decomposing smells like, but I can tell you a decomposing animal has it's own unique smell to it! I am sure the same can be said about a human body decomposing.
    As the man said in his depo, ...it's like marijuana. Once you smell it, you know what it is the next time you smell it!

I laughed so hard at that because it's so true! (yes, I am a child of the 60's) My kids NEVER pulled the old Oregano trick on me!

the prosecution can do their own experiment(s) prior to trial. like they do at the body farm ...

they can put two cars somewhere secure and put the same kind of garbage/pizza in one trunk and a dead body in the other & replicate the weather conditions somehow

then bring CSI guy in and see if he knows which one is a dead body and which one is garbage ...

yes I know I'm living in a fantasy world but it would shut Baez up for a minute or so

Is there any person who has smelled the Pontiac who thinks it does NOT smell of a decomposing body?

Quote Originally Posted by ZsaZsa View Post
    Is there any person who has smelled the Pontiac who thinks it does NOT smell of a decomposing body?
    errr....um...I know this one.....oh! George and Cindy

Quote Originally Posted by katydid23 View Post
    Baez: And how many cars have you dealt with that you've processed that had a bag of garbage in the trunk for 3 weeks?

That 'garbage' argument is going nowhere. No jury is going to believe that rotting pizza
    will overpower or mimic the smell of a dead body. I HOPE Baez stays with this line of defense.

The 'air samples' do sound more problematic however. I never knew they were Mellech's idea and the CSI tech had NEVER tried them before. That could be a problem.
    Have you read Dr. Logan's deposition re Dr. Vass yet? Trust me, an inexperienced CSI tech could do better. What a bunch of nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyL View Post
    the prosecution can do their own experiment(s) prior to trial. like they do at the body farm ...

they can put two cars somewhere secure and put the same kind of garbage/pizza in one trunk and a dead body in the other & replicate the weather conditions somehow

then bring CSI guy in and see if he knows which one is a dead body and which one is garbage ...

yes I know I'm living in a fantasy world but it would shut Baez up for a minute or so
    In my fantasy, the SA asks Baez to stick his head right into the trunk of the car and take a deep breath.

Jose looks at HHJP and says - Yer honorrrr....HHJP nods and waves him onward.

Then the SA says thank you Mr. Baez. Now put your head in this garbage bag which replicates exactly the garbage bag left in the trunk.

Now, Mr. Baez, which one smells like decomp to you? Oh excuse me - do you need a brown paper bag to use before you answer?

long live my fantasy life.

Quote Originally Posted by ClockWatcher View Post
    errr....um...I know this one.....oh! George and Cindy
    Not according to CA's third 911 call or GA's lengthy interview with LE when he discusses never forgetting the smell of human decomposition and dreading opening the trunk in case it's Caylee or Casey in there... It's on the record. Of course they tried every permutation possible to deny/disallow those statements, but thank goodness they are all coming in...

Quote Originally Posted by katydid23 View Post

Why would it make any difference 'who' suggested that these tests be done? Yuri was not the one who actually did the tests. He just heard/read about the tests and maybe the CSI hadn't. Was it Vincent who did the 'air sample' or was it the Body Farm expert? Who collected the 'air sample'?
    JMO

Quote Originally Posted by Paintr View Post
    Why would it make any difference 'who' suggested that these tests be done? Yuri was not the one who actually did the tests. He just heard/read about the tests and maybe the CSI hadn't. Was it Vincent who did the 'air sample' or was it the Body Farm expert? Who collected the 'air sample'?
    I think Baez is going to try and present to the jury a case whereby LE were looking at his client and no one else, using experimental or new science to tie his client to the crime as LE were intent on persecuting poor little ICA. So he might be trying to present Yuri as a cop hell bent on charging ICA when there were "supposedly" plenty of other suspects. The only thing Baez can try to do is discredit LE and the evidence, he has nothing else to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by darnudes View Post
    I think Baez is going to try and present to the jury a case whereby LE were looking at his client and no one else, using experimental or new science to tie his client to the crime as LE were intent on persecuting poor little ICA. So he might be trying to present Yuri as a cop hell bent on charging ICA when there were "supposedly" plenty of other suspects. The only thing Baez can try to do is discredit LE and the evidence, he has nothing else to work with.
    Thank you kindly, darnudes. I knew I was missing something. I guess I find it difficult to think 'like a defense attorny'.
    JMO

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast