1167 users online (225 members and 942 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

cops cannot locate little girl's 911 call location

How terribly sad. Police do not think this is a hoax.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/Northeast....ap/index.html

My mommy got hit," the tiny voice on the other end of the 911 call said. The girl said mommy was in the bathroom and wasn't breathing.

A dispatcher kept the girl on the line as long as she could, but the child finally hung up after five minutes, saying she was tired. Authorities could not trace the call -- made from a cell phone -- and have run into a series of dead-ends in their search for the girl.

"The worst-case scenario is there's a 4-year-old girl home alone and her mother is injured," said Paterson police Capt. Danny Nichols.

The department's entire 22-member detective squad was working on the case Thursday. Having exhausted numerous leads, including tips from well-meaning callers from as far away as Pennsylvania and Florida, investigators were working with cell phone providers to try to determine the number of the phone, and the person to whom it was registered.

This is terribly sad. That little girl is going to haunt me tonight as I try to fall asleep. Please find her!!
    Karen

Search On for 4-Year-Old After 911 Call

Thursday, September 23, 2004

PATERSON, N.J. — "My mommy got hit," the tiny voice on the other end of the 911 call said. The girl said her mommy was in the bathroom and wasn't breathing.

A dispatcher kept the girl on the line as long as she could, but the child finally hung up after five minutes, saying she was tired. Authorities could not immediately trace the call — made from a cell phone — and have run into a series of dead-ends in their search for the girl.

"The worst-case scenario is there's a 4-year-old girl home alone and her mother is injured," said Paterson police Capt. Danny Nichols.

The department's entire 22-member detective squad was working on the case Thursday. Having exhausted numerous leads, including tips from well-meaning callers from as far away as Pennsylvania and Florida, investigators were working with cell phone providers to try to determine the number of the phone, and the person to whom it was registered.

"We've had 50 to 60 phone calls with all different types of information," said Detective Lt. Donald Giaquinto. "We've even had a psychic call."

Detectives believe the call was legitimate and not a prank.

The call came in at 9:20 p.m. Tuesday. The dispatcher asked the girl for identifying information, such as where she goes to school, and what her teacher's name is.

The girl said she is 4 years old, her name is Jessica, and that she lives on the first floor of a white house near a candy store, but didn't know the name of the shop. She said she goes to either school or day care, and her teacher's name is Miss Winter.

Police checked with the Paterson school system, as well as local day care outlets, but none had a teacher with a first or last name even close, Murray said. The girl might not even attend school in Paterson, so surrounding districts were also being questioned, police said.

The girl told the dispatcher she lives at 150 Sparrow St., but no such address exists. Police visited every house on the street, as well as several others that might sound similar to a child, but no one knew about anything amiss.

Carlos Roman, who was washing his car on Sparrow Street on Thursday morning, said no one in the area knows of a 4-year-old girl, let alone one named Jessica.

Murray said no one has filed a missing persons report that might correspond to the girl or her mother; local hospitals also have been checked, to no avail.

The dispatcher repeatedly asked the girl to stay on the line until police arrived at her door, at one point even asking her to sing the alphabet to keep her talking.

Shortly after the girl sang the A-B-C song, the line clicked dead

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,133310,00.html

With prayers they find her, and soon.

With all the technology out there - they should be able to triangulate cells... they need to fix that ASAP.

Poor little girl, it does not sound like a hoax

Oh how sad. She knew enough to call 911, thought she knew her address and still could not get the help she needed. I am picturing my 4 year old in the same situation. I think she'd go to a neighbors house for help if it didn't arrive. I hope someone finds this little girl and that she is okay. I hope her mother is okay too, but I suspect that will not be the case. Do you remember a few years back where a 2 or 3 year old was found living alone with her/his dead mother for a few days? I can just imagine the same thing happening here. Poor thing. I hope she is found soon, or calls back or something.

Please keep us posted on updatees!!!!!

I hope they find this little one soon ! She must be so scared !

This is a stark reminder why we need to teach children the necessities as soon as they can retain them.

Home address, incuding CITY and STATE

Home phone number, incuding AREA CODE

How to use a phone, 9-1-1 (nine-one-one). Not 9-11, some will search for 11 on a keypad and it simply isn't there. Do not say the letter O if you mean zero. I cannot tell you how many times I got a recorder and someone said "you've reached nine O four, xxxx (instead of nine-zero-four, xxxx)". There is a difference, and a child might hit the letter O instead of the number zero. Show them, practice with the phone.

If this baby can sing the A B C's, she could have retained such knowledge.
    I pray this does not have a tragic ending. Possibly we can learn from this before we know the ending. I pray that is the case.

Education is saving lives. Let's all educate ourselves how to protect us, as well as our children. They're our future, let's teach them NOW.

Prayers for this little one, and her mother.

I just read about this on Fox News and was heartbroken!! I hope they find this little girl ASAP!!

WasBlind,
    Excellent advice!
    Ive always practiced with my children how to call 9-1-1 and what to say (and to not hang up!).

In addition I keep right by the phone,at all times, a note with our address/phone and other info for my older kids because although they know the info I worry in an emergency they may panic and forget so this way its right there(or there for a babysitter)
    The saints are the sinners who keep trying...

I wonder if someone came in and hung up the phone. Maybe someone killed her mom? She said her mommy was "HIT". not hurt, not fell down, but hit. I hope she's ok.

Quote Originally Posted by blueclouds
    I wonder if someone came in and hung up the phone. Maybe someone killed her mom? She said her mommy was "HIT". not hurt, not fell down, but hit. I hope she's ok.
    BC,
    I had the same thought!

I think there was a domestic violence situation and the mother ended up in the bathroom and whoever beat the mom hung up the phone...........chilling!

On another note,please let me know BC when your Sharon Marshall site is up!!!!
    The saints are the sinners who keep trying...

You bet Messiecake. I'm gonna have the link in my signature everywhere so everyone can check it out. Poor sweet girl.

sounds like domestic violence to me...

How sad. I pray that this little girl and her mom are found safe quickly.

Does anyone know if the audio is available to listen to? I'm thinking that if they play her voice on the air, someone may recognize her. I heard a small portion of the 911 tape this morning, mostly just the operator talking, the little girl only says one word: yeah. It did not sound like a small child to me, but it went by so fast, and I was listening to my husband talking at the same time, so I'm not sure.

Edited to add: When my children were small, we taught them to remember their entire phone number, with the area code, their address, etc. by putting it into a little song. It started out, "If I want to talk to Mom, I just dial....If I need to find my home, I can find just where it is." We used a common tune, like Twinkle, twinkle little star. Children often can remember all the words to a song before they can repeat "dry" information. Moms and Dads of little ones can maybe use this information. My boys were very young when they learned to sing "Our Song" I think one of them was not quite three.

Angry Hoax!!

Police: Little Girl's 911 Call A Hoax

http://www.nbc4.tv/news/3758114/detail.html
    PATERSON, N.J. -- Prosecutors in Passaic County confirm that the 911-phone call allegedly made by a 4-year-old was apparently a hoax.

Officers were reportedly able to trace the call back to a 17-year-old girl.

Charges are pending against the teenager.

Police initially believed a four-year-old who identified herself as Jessica made the call.

About two dozen Paterson police detectives had been hunting for what they believed was the young girl who made a mysterious 911 call.

The girl called police Tuesday night and told a dispatcher that her mother had been hurt, then hung up a few minutes later. She said her name was Jessica and that she was four years old.

The girl said her mother had been hit and wasn't breathing and gave authorities an address on Sparrow Street that does not exist.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast