Defense Expert Barry Logan Resigned in 2008 with controversy

Capri

Reaction score
2008 story re: Defense expert Barry Logan resigningas Head of State Crime and Toxicology Lab
Story Published: Feb 14, 2008 at 3:38 PM PDT

-- Dr. Barry Logan, head of the state crime and toxicology labs, has resigned following the discovery of deficiencies in the way DUI testing was conducted at the toxicology lab.
Logan's resignation is effective March 14.

As head of the Washington State Patrol's Forensic Laboratory Services Bureau, Logan was responsible for operation of the state crime lab and toxicology lab.

.....In King County, three judges referred to what they called ethical lapses and a climate of compromise in the state toxicology lab.

http://www.komonews.com/news/15643687.html

And another article addressing the same resignation :

http://www.constlaw.org/resignation-of-crime-lab-chief/
Resignation of Crime-Lab ChiefBarry Logan resigned his position as director of the Forensic Laboratory Services Bureau, two weeks after a King County panel of judges ruled that the state toxicology lab engaged in “fraudulent and scientifically unacceptable” practices in the preparation and analysis of breath tests that are used to help prosecute Washington drunk drivers. Frankly, Dr. Logan’s actions, as well as those the state toxicology lab, particularly as they relate to Washington DUI cases involving breath or blood tests, are a complete embarrassment to crime labs around the country.

Not sure what effect all this has on his credibility as an expert witness, but thought it deserved addressing, since it is/was based on ethics issues and how tests were run:

http://cowanlegaleducation.com/wp/?p=8

In October , two Skagit County judges challenged Logan’s credibility as they cited careless and potentially flawed work at the lab.

Last month, three King County District Court judges questioned his ability to serve as state toxicologist and found that the lab was fraught with ethical problems, scientific errors and carelessness — making all breath tests unreliable.

(2008)

Not sure what effect all this has on his credibility as an expert witness, but thought it deserved addressing, since it is/was based on ethics issues and how tests were run:

In October , two Skagit County judges challenged Logan’s credibility as they cited careless and potentially flawed work at the lab.

Last month, three King County District Court judges questioned his ability to serve as state toxicologist and found that the lab was fraught with ethical problems, scientific errors and carelessness — making all breath tests unreliable.

(2008)

I think this is the same article in a different format.

http://www.californiacriminallawyerblog.com/2008/02/california_dui_defense_news_cr.html

What a lousy choice defense team made! I would think Logan's "lack of credibility" would have followed him around like a scent dog hitting on decomp.

What a lousy choice defense team made! I would think Logan's "lack of credibility" would have followed him around like a scent dog hitting on decomp.

Agree, but it does seem to fit in with the DT and the choices they have made throughout with picking their help. It almost seems like a prerequisite that there has to have been some shady dealings in the past in order to fit in with the defense of ICA. There was TM, who was under investigation by the CA bar for misappropriation of funds and later disbarred. There is, of course, the famous HL, who was found to be lacking in the Spector trial. Then there was DC, a sort of private investigator who was seen acting inappropriately with the mother of the accused and video taped near the remains of a murdered toddler a full month before her remains would be found. Even the new PI has been accused of trying to get witnesses to change their testimony. And the best witness they had, LB, has been accused and is under investigation for tampering. All in all, I'd say that Logan fits right in!

Certainly the forensics community is aware of this. Is the Defense team just betting on the jury not being made aware of it?

(2008)

I'm not sure if you have read the SA's depo of him that was released today - but Mr. Ashton blew him out of the water and tore him to shreds.

He was trying to pass his opinion as an expert witness against Dr. Vass, without any backing, experience or education to challenge him.

It was the most ridiculous depo I have ever read. Give the man a clown suit and send him on his way! :banghead:

Ashton was brilliant of course.

I was blown away that Dr. Logan was clueless about Mr. Ashton's legal landmark with DNA evidence. JA was the first prosecutor in the US to get a criminal conviction (rape case) using DNA testing.

The last several pages are awesome. JA is brilliant.

Oh for the love of Pete!!! Can the defense NOT pick a decent expert to save their lives? And wouldn't you think their caliber of experts should tell them something about this case? Like how freaking badly they're going to LOSE IT? :banghead::maddening:

I'm not sure if you have read the SA's depo of him that was released today - but Mr. Ashton blew him out of the water and tore him to shreds.

He was trying to pass his opinion as an expert witness against Dr. Vass, without any backing, experience or education to challenge him.

It was the most ridiculous depo I have ever read. Give the man a clown suit and send him on his way! :banghead:

BBM
And to top himself even further he has the bombastic audacity to insert legal opinion. As if!

Dr. Logan had no idea who he was tangling with. Ashton rocks! I believe these Frye hearings can be summed up in these depositions we have been reading as well as in this one, Jose's "we have no questions."
I just have this mental picture of Jose, going through the motions, eating , snoozing, snoring, snorting, etc. during these depositions. I get the impression that LDB, FG, and JA are the grown-ups and Baez and Mason act the toddlers. The irony is indeed rich.

You would think that JB would at least google his "experts" names before he hires them. Or maybe he does. Maybe he thinks they will be more ameanable to defense suggestions. IMO

Is there a thread and a link to this depo? I looked and I don't see it. Thanks!

Certainly the forensics community is aware of this. Is the Defense team just betting on the jury not being made aware of it?

I just hope that JA is aware of this....:innocent:

I was blown away that Dr. Logan was clueless about Mr. Ashton's legal landmark with DNA evidence. JA was the first prosecutor in the US to get a criminal conviction (rape case) using DNA testing.

Maybe I'll give it another try then...my head was swimming 2/3 of the way through.

My favorite:
JA (addressing CM): Yeah. She didn't hear any of that, what you just said, but I don't think we're missing anything.

:giggle:

Attachments

• logan.JPG
    logan.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 73
My favorite:
JA (addressing CM): Yeah. She didn't hear any of that, what you just said, but I don't think we're missing anything.

:giggle:

thanks for sharing some of the dep....the site takes forever to open for me

Oh for the love of Pete!!! Can the defense NOT pick a decent expert to save their lives? And wouldn't you think their caliber of experts should tell them something about this case? Like how freaking badly they're going to LOSE IT? :banghead::maddening:

It's Casey's life that they seem to care naught for saving....

You would think that JB would at least google his "experts" names before he hires them. Or maybe he does. Maybe he thinks they will be more ameanable to defense suggestions. IMO

Well, taking a guess based on the fact that JB couldn't get most of his experts to call him back, I'd say the top experts aren't saying what the defense needs them to say. I bet if you look long enough you'll find someone who will agree with you.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back