03-22-2011, 06:15 PM #1
FL - Jacksonville, WhtMale 1616UMFL, 22-48, suicide by zip gun, Nov'99
The Doe Network:
Hot Case 1452 http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1616umfl.html
NamUs UP Case 745 https://identifyus.org/cases/745
Unidentified White Male
* The victim was discovered on November 28, 1999 in Jacksonville, Duval County, Florida
* State of Remains: Partial Skeleton
* An intraoral gunshot wound is present in the cranium
* Estimated age: 22-48 years old
* Approximate Height and Weight: 5'9".
* Distinguishing Characteristics: Fracturing of the cranium is consistent with an intraoral gunshot wound; a sternal foramen is present, located 10 cm from the manubriosternal junction.
* Clothing: Green shorts; shirt remnant; sandals.
* Fingerprints: Not available
* Dentals: Sliver amalgam restoration on #3, 18, 19, 30, 31; postmortem dental radiographs are available.
* DNA: Available - University of North Texas.
The victim was discovered adjacent to a small clearing in a wooded area at 10014 Atlantic Boulevard in Jacksonville, Florida on November 28, 1999.
Remains were discovered by two transients who had entered the woods to smoke; they noticed the remains after moving some old tires to sit on.
Found in association with the remains were two live shotgun shells, one spent shell, and a zip-gun constructed of PVC piping. Embedded in the dirt against the maxilla was a piece of plastic which appeared to be shotgun shell wadding.
Last edited by CarlK90245; 04-03-2013 at 03:37 AM. Reason: updated link
03-22-2011, 06:16 PM #2
This one looks good on resemblance, as well as age and timeline:
John Leslie Welty
The height is a little off (FWIW).
Last edited by CarlK90245; 10-12-2012 at 06:53 PM.
03-22-2011, 07:51 PM #3Registered User
- Join Date
- Jun 2008
Major issue is distance and method of death.
Davie, FL is 325 miles from Jacksonville. If John were taken there and killed, the method of death seems odd - a staged suicide with an unhidden body seems too elaborate for a drugs murder. If he killed himself, why go so far to do it? As a drug user would he have had the ability to do so?
None of that is necessarily inconsistent of course. 2" on skeletal remains seems less of a problem to me.
03-22-2011, 07:59 PM #4
It certainly looks like a good match. It mentions the UID was wearing sandals... I personally wouldn't wear sandals into a wooded area. He could have been forced at gun point. If John was abusing drugs there's a good chance he was involved with some shifty people. A gunshot to the head for some outstanding cash perhaps doesn't sound too far fetched.
By chaddylex in forum The UnidentifiedReplies: 18Last Post: 02-29-2016, 07:29 PM
By OkieGranny in forum The UnidentifiedReplies: 16Last Post: 09-23-2014, 05:35 AM
By tifflee in forum The UnidentifiedReplies: 3Last Post: 03-02-2014, 09:52 PM
By suzihawk in forum Crimes in the NewsReplies: 1Last Post: 03-06-2012, 07:38 PM
By tifflee in forum The UnidentifiedReplies: 28Last Post: 12-14-2011, 01:45 AM