2011.03.23 - 03.24 Frye Hearing Summary Thread *NO DISCUSSION HERE PLEASE*

Status
Not open for further replies.

beach

Verified Expert
Reaction score
The purpose of this thread is provide succinct daily recaps of courtroom highlights and rulings. It serves as a companion thread to the real time discussion daily hearing threads that always become lengthy.

A couple of requests and guidelines:

1. There is to be no discussion, cross-talk or responding to previous posts.
  2. Try to post in subsequent order of the issues addressed in court to be true to the "flow" of the proceedings. It is not necessary that each post addresses EVERY issue; you are free to post about one or two, just try to keep it in order of the proceedings. It might be a good idea to post during the breaks; or maybe a short recap after each issue/witness. If you are one who takes notes and would prefer posting one lengthy summary at the end of the day, that would be fine too. Just recap however it works best for you. :)
  3. Try to hit the highlights - important testimony elicited from the witness, demeanor of the witness, Judge Perry's comments, rulings, etc.. I realize some opinion is going to be necessary to get your point across, but please try to keep it to a minimum.
Summary threads have been requested by many members. Those who are working, otherwise busy and are unable to watch the live proceedings appreciate being able to open a thread where they can read "just the facts". Thanks in advance for your participation!

I like this sticky thread idea and don't want it to go away, so...I hope I get it all right...please correct if wrong, but I'm trying to stick with very basics here. I only watched most of the second part, and am skimming raw video now of morning (also reviewed some of morning's thread)

• Casey arrives wearing a button-down light pink blouse and her hair back in a bun.
  • JB, CM sit at defense table, other DT lawyers/aides (?) sit behind them.
  • FBI forensics expert Karen Korsberg Lowe is first up, via some sort of electronic transmission, but first some discussions about whether or not all the evidence and related cases have been provided by both sides. Reserved ruling until judge can review disc containing info.
  • We couldn't hear this witness for a long time, so it's difficult to say what she said...we could only hear the people actually present in the courtroom...discussing postmortem hair banding and applicable peer-reviewed journals, etc....historical perspective on the area of post-mortem hair study...discussing which journal (Joypath let us know that the journal they're talking about is highly respected--Journal of Forensic Sciences)
  • Finally we get sound...discussing relevant journal articles and experiment(s) done on hair.
  • Explaining why hair shows postmortem root banding. Discusses another case where a body was in a trunk and moved then put back. Yet another case with four bodies where two of them showed hair decomp.
  • Discuss differences re: scientific validity of peer-reviewed journal information--articles vs. case studies.
  • Whether or not a hair is actively growing or not seems to have an effect re: hair decomp evidence because of the differences in the keratin part of the hair. (Think I got that right :))
  • JA asks if it is "generally accepted" that "root banding" is "characteristic of a hair that has been attached to a decomposing body." Answer: Pretty much yes (my paraphrasing).
  • JA asks if we know why this happens (root banding). Answer: No.
  • JA: Does this happen with bodies that are not dead? Sometimes hairs that have came off [a living person] end up in certain types of water or soil which later show some decomp (putrid roots), but this witness hasn't seen root banding in that type of environment, no.
  • Defense objects saying the FBI contacted JB Friday stating "research had been conducted with regard to this" and DT have requested the research, and it indicates that this decomp changes that were not postmortem have been found. "And we need this research in order to cross-examine this witness," and DT believes research contains exculpatory evidence and they don't have the research manuscripts.
    There were two studies, DT states they don't have either one. JA states SA only found out about this on Friday, too ("we found out together), and he says the research actually states that root banding is not found in these other methods. JA says we (SA and DT) had already discussed this and JA thought they'd decided not to have the witness testify to that today as it doesn't go to the specific issues of Frye.
    JA says manuscript hasn't been turned over because it hasn't been peer reviewed yet. JA says he thinks there's some stuff the DT can have if the witness is going to testify to it now, but he doesn't get what the issue is right now.
    DT says they understood there were two research studies and that one was listed on a powerpoint presentation as complete, but they haven't gotten any of it so they don't know if the results show what JA is saying they show. HHJP asks DT, "Okay, what is the subject matter of the manuscript?" She (AF?) says she understands it to show root banding in a non postmortem case. HHJP asks witness about manuscript and does it lead to any exculpatory evidence? Witness paraphrase: The manuscript is only examining hairs from deceased--didn't include live individuals. That study is complete and the paper is in the review process at FBI lab. Second study is still in progress so no manuscript exists yet--that is the one that talks about the hair found in water/soil which showed some evidence of decomp, but not root banding--only putrid roots and other environmental stuff, but not root banding. (I think lots of WSers agreed this witness was great, btw, me included--clear and concise). Witness: "...the information from either of the studies would not change the results from this case...it would not change the fact that the characteristics seen in the hair from this case were consistent with postemortem root banding."
    HHJP to witness: were any of your opinions stated here today influenced by the completed study? Witness: No, sir. HHJP: When will that manuscript be available? Witness: I don't know. DT: Powerpoint said manuscript is in review process, which means manuscript does exist....even if this witness isn't using it, we still want it...we want to know who everyone is in the room where the witness is...witness and some type of supervisor person from lab. JA paraphrase: The studies that ARE available already indicate that postmortem root banding study isn't always found in hairs from decomposing bodies, so the study they're talking about is talking about the timing of this, not the general existence of it.

Also, excellent post in Today's news has links for key pieces of today's hearing
(thanks MADJGNLAW:) ):
[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6245070&postcount=16"]http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6245070&postcount=16[/ame]

That's all for part one, folks! My fingers are tired, so we'll have to take a break. Please correct any mistakes, but mind that this is a no discussion thread. Thanks:)

(Dorothy Simms is the DT lawyer who I referred to above as (AF?). Sorry)

ETA: just noticed this was my 666nd post LOL:)

(OT LOL to my ^ 666nd instead of 666th, somehow sixth became second in my head)

Let's see how long I last now:p (Disclaimer: If it's not in " " then it's not a direct quote and is me paraphrasing. If it's in " ," then I did my very honest best to get a straight quote and any mistakes are coincidental and unintentional).

Wait, gotta do my finger pulling exercises;) Get my headphones arranged and my shirt smoothed...and off we go:

• JA continuing about this manuscript, and how the witness isn't discussing that, as requested. I don't know what the objection is, JA says. DT DS wants to approach and does. We can hear it, though, and it sounds like DS is saying but the not the witness uses these studies in teaching her students and HHJP says it doesn't matter and HHJP says if there are so many studies out there whose responsible for getting them here, but first let's talk about whether or not she's using this study for her testimony today. And if she's not, then we look at whether or not this exculpatory or not and I can't tell if I haven't seen it! During cross, DT will have latitude to discuss this study and how it effects her testimony today. The Powerpoint is used to teach, not something she's used to base her opinion on today?

DS: but we don't know what SA knows about WHAT the study shows! But the FBI called JB because they were concerned that it is relevant and/or exculpatory. JB says it's his call to make whether or not it's exculpatory, not SA's call.
    JA says he still doesn't get what the problem is as he has no issue with DT getting the materials, he just doesn't see what it has to do with today.
    HHJP agrees DT should be able to see evidence and has a point and has the right to find that this is exculpatory evidence.
    JA agrees, but states that the FBI volunteered this evidence.
    HHJP says let's continue with what we're doing now, we'll get you what you need, etc. and we'll mark it as blah blah blah a portion of a composite (?)
  • JA done questioning witness.
  • DS up for cross.
  • DS: You said that banding is less common than "brushlike" (putrid) effect in decomped (I know that's not a word, but I think YKWIM) hair, correct?
    Witness: That's what was referred to in the (somebody's) paper.
    They discuss the confusing issue of the number/lettering stuff in different labs....Q-12 when debris, Q-12.1 later when there was mitochondrial dna tests done. Same thing, different designation when moved on to different tests.
    DS: You haven't ever used hair banding to determine time of death have you?
    Witness: No.
    DS: So the most you can say is that Q-12 or Q-12.1 appear to have characteristics consistent with decomp, yeah?
    Witness: Correct. I added "apparent" to add that there is a possibility that there was something else that caused this...I don't know what could possibly do that, but I can't rule out the possibility that there is something that could.
    DS: Okay, so you got the root portion, not the entire root, yeah?
    Witness: No.
    DS: You had the entire root? Are you sure?
    Witness: It was an andogen hair...there was root material above the root banding and on the rest of the shaft.
    DS: But you didn't have the entire root, did you? You had a root portion?
    JA: objection re: this isn't relevant to Frye
    DS: I need to know if the procedure is new and methodology is correct and conclusions are reached blah blah blah this isn't just a Frye hearing there's also stuff in our motion (!)
    JA: This witness was subject to deposition, why is DT asking this stuff now?

{OT brief intermission while flourish watches the series finale of Big Love with DH--done & it was good}

• Objection sustained, HHJP: I thought we were doing a Frye hearing.
    DS: Well, um, her deposition is evidence, isn't it? (JA answers "if you all have submitted it to the court")
    HHJP: reminds DT what a Frye hearing is and that today is a Frye hearing. Trial testimony is subject to objection dealing with relevancy or materiality and the rest of it goes to the weight that some juror or jury may place to her testimony...
    DS: Okay, so (to witness) your testimony was apparent decomposition, NOT that it was postmortem root banding in this hair, yeah?
    (I keep typing "postmodern" heh)
    Witness: "The characteristics present in this hair were consistent with postmortem root banding, which I reported as decomposition."
    DS: Revisits what root banding is...and the blah blah blah...JA objects because this is a Frye hearing and objection sustained AGAIN and HHJP reminds DS AGAIN that we're in a Frye hearing.
    DS: Reviews phases of hair growth and their percentage on the head (I think). Revisits the powerpoint as a teaching tool when teaching postmortem root banding (PMRB now).
    Witness: It's a powerpoint (PP now) I put together for today's hearing.
    DS: In the PP the example that you used for PMRB actually is much closer to the root than the darkened area in Q-12?
    JA: Objection relevance
    HHJP: Response?
    DS: If I'm allowed to cross-exam her...I have to know that her data/research is scientific...
    HHJP: Objection overruled
    Witness: what was the question
    DS: And the PP example shows the darkened portion much more closer to the tip than in Q-12, doesn't it?
    Witness: I haven't directly compared them...this might have been a hair..it's just a photo we use in a PP at school
    DS: silent...
    HHJP: For the edification of the court, is this a PP for teaching or relative to this case?
    DS: It was PP you were using prior to providing it for this, yeah?
    Witness: This particular photo is used at the school on its PP, but this particular PP was prepared for this
    DS: I thought this PP was for school-- that is what we asked for...we wanted to see what you were instructing individuals prior to this case though, yeah? and there might be exculpatory evidence, so [protest to judge]
    JA: I know DS wasn't on the DT when this happened (dig) but I believe this info was provided to DT back a while ago I don't know why we are hearing about this now...There was a lot of stuff asked for and maybe they got it and don't remember, but I don't know for sure.
    HHJP: I just was trying to understand why that PP was prepared and now I know
    DS: But we didn't receive that, so can we add that to the list of stuff we need?
    Witness: May I add something?
    HHJP: Yes
    Witness: The PP that is used at the school...root banding is only mentioned a little in one class so this slide IS what we use at the school...I added the rest for this presentation in this section to show what characteristics show where on the body the hair is from, race, etc...
    DS: So this is all you teach on PMRB? There's no other slides out there that were used prior to your deposition re: hair decomp, yeah?
    Witness: This is what is used in THAT school on this topic
    DS: and there's no other slides on that topic that are used when you are teaching?
    Witness: Right, no other slides, what I gave you is what I gave you
    DS: Am I understanding that you've never testified in a case where you rendered an opinion that a single hair w/apparent decomp characteristics definitely came from a deceased individual?
    Witness: One-I have not testified to this, and Two-I would never say it came from a deceased individual only that it was consistent with root banding or another decomp event and that it was apparent that it came from a deceased person
    JA: objection due to frye hearing guidelines
    HHJP: Let me hear the complete question first..witness wait before you answer
    DS: repeats what was just said and JA objects and says that is what she just said
    HHJP: Overuled
    Witness: that is what the email said and that's what i just testified to
    DS: you also sent an email saying if there are vacuuming I will take them, if I find one hair...
    JA: Objection
    HHJP: Sustained. Let's revisit again what Frye is about (focus, folks!) and I'll cite you case law and read it out loud to you. Get to the point this isn't a deposition this is Frye! (artistic license on the paraphrase there:) )
    DS: But this motion isn't just a Frye hearing, there are other areas...
    HHJP: Then file a motion so we can hear it you knew what this was...how many times do I have to say it?
    DS: with regard to the procedure and conclusions having to do with apparent decomp, you communicated in an email that the case would be stronger if you had more than one...
    JA: Objection relevance
    HHJP: sustained
    DS: Tries again and JA objects again and HHJP tells him to let her finish the whole question....there were multiple hairs you examined and only one resulted in an opinion of you of apparent decomp
    JA: objection relevance
    HHJP: reply?
    DS: we're looking at a procedure where multiple hairs are examined and only one person saw one hair, that goes to the credibility of the process
    JA: credibility isn't an issue, it's general acceptance
    HHJP: answer, but you're treading
    Witness: yes, a single hair was found with apparent decomp...
  • When this process occurs in this case you were contacted initially before you were called to look at Q-12, yeah? (??)
    DS: you don't know what else the hair had been subjected to, yeah?
    DS: root banding...no one...well....um...are you aware of a published article that indicates that a single hair using this process to definitively state was from deceased person
    JA: objection she didn't tell us the name of article
    DS: I'm asking if she is aware of any published article...
    HHJP: overuled
    DS: are you aware...
    Witness: no, i'm not aware of any article, but again, it would be consistent or not consistent, not definitive
    DS: PMRB has to be at the root, yeah?
    Witness: There's typically some distance, in the research usually 1/2 millimeter from root to band

Part Two over. Break time.

Where does one START with this one's testimony? Perhaps by making a statement that I :innocent: have NO BIAS against ANY category of anthropologists :)floorlaugh: some of my best friends are.......)!

IMHO, Dr. Fairgrieve has "leached outside the quadrant" of anthropology by declaring himself an expert in the full quadrant field of "cadaver" (colloquially spoken for those of us without Ph.Ds) dogs aka canines. He is NOT a "hands on" expert WITH the dogs (but he can provide the bones), he DOES HAVE extensive experience in reading articles & the internet regarding the activities OF the canines. NONE of the information he provided were "referenced back" to peer review journals, point of fact, his favorite statements seemed to be "what I read...." yet did not quote chapter & verse of the studies.

This was NOT a FRYE hearing, cadaver dogs ARE an acceptable tool utilized by LE so no one had to prove the "infallibility" of the dog.

From the testimony (http://www.wftv.com/video/27298973/index.html ) of the ACTUAL DOG HANDLER: Sgt.Brewer HAD IT under control at the Anthony homestead (IMHO!), just as in control on the stand and Scott Fairgrieve, Ph.D's BOOK opinions will be interesting to hear during the trial phase!

Please see above for disclaimer

• DS: when you say "at the root portion do you mean near or adjacent?
    Witness: It's at the root end, not the tip of root, there's a space (~1/2 mm) from tip to band..and I consider that area to be the root end, but it's not at the tip necessarily...
    DS: Can you draw a picture that shows what consitutes the root and what constitutes the shaft on that picture?
    Witness: you asked me this in depo and like I said I don't feel comfortable doing that with a photo...I'd want to look microscopic
    DS: but in order to determine this hair falls in this category (PMRB) we need to know where the root is and where the shaft is and you aren't comfortable saying where that is from a photo
    Witness: Wasn't comfortable doing that on a photocopy of a photograph, correct.
    DS: when you got Q-12 it was in a petri dish, yeah?
    JA: objection relevance (copied and pasted now)
    DS: we have the ability to determine the process by which she got this conclusion
    JA: that's what depositions are for
    DS: you are aware that there are articles indicating that there is a lack of scientific proof of hair identification
    JA: objection name of article
    DS: well, I'm referring to her (witness's) depo, are you aware of articles that indicate there may be problems with scientific proof of hair comparison
    Witness: There have been articles that have attacked hair comparison, yes.
    DS: starts question, JA objects and HHJP says finish question first...DS repeats...1988 article was first article that refers to apparent decomp (hair) and that was the earliest article, yeah?
    Witness: Yes
    DS: do you remember testifying that this science has been around for 50 years
    Witness: I said hair comparison at FBI since 1930's....DS: but not hair banding...Witness: I was referring to hair comparisons
    DS: asks about some guy's study
    Witness: tells about study (growth phase of hair stuff here again)...changes to root area in hairs depending on environmental changes, etc.
    DS: and this is a darkening (on the hair) yeah?
    Witness: study isn't done yet but so far none have showed root banding but some earlier stages of decomp
    DS: hair banding is a darkening of the hair, yeah?
    Witness: clarifies science stuff but basically yes
    DS: and there are hairs that have that but aren't from deceased people, yeah?
    Witness: no
    DS: but didn't you just say...
    Witness: No, I said early decomp (putrid root) which is not root banding
    DS: (IMO seems to be trying to get witness to say that all darkening is root banding)...okay so putrid root is also used to determine that a hair came from live or dead person yeah?
    Witness (NOW "W"): It's possible, but it's also possible that a root could get that way (putrid) from other environmental factors and that's been shown in studies other than ours
    DS: other research...thesis...blah blah blah...deforest was thesis advisor...talked about in depo...
    JA wants copy of thesis judge says ok...waiting...flipping of pages, JA reading...
    DS: this thesis ...scientific name...research indicated that...(flustered)...flipping of pages...oops, gave you wrong thesis...now this OTHER thesis with a scientific name...root morphology...deforest advisor....(JA getting copy and reading)....
    JA now objecting...is witness familiar w/this thesis?
    DS: okay...her thesis advisor is deforest...are you aware of research that says if you take a hair from alive person...
    JA: objection misstatement of counsel that this isn't published and objection to something else I can't hear--oh counsel's "take" on resarch
    HHJP: okay (i think that's sustained)
    DS: I'll rephrase...are you aware of research wherein the thesis advisor, deforest, exposed hairs from living people to the elements and
    repeat objection sequence above
    HHJP: Mr. Ashton...objection at this time is overruled...do not interrupt witness before question is completed...JA says same question HHJP says I didn't get to hear it yet...
    DS: are you aware...soil and water and banding occurred and those hairs were from living people
    JA: objection
    HHJP: overruled...witness can answer question if they understand it
    W: I haven't read the thesis heard of it some characteristics have been noted similar to the ongoing FBI study....a full PMRB was not found but other early decomp did
    DS: then before you reach an opinion that a hair under a microscope is more consistent with RB rather than exposure to our environment...that's something you'd want to read and see the pictures isn't it?
    W: I've seen some of the pics but from a photocopy of a photograph it's hard to tell what things really look like so it's difficult to say that it could be PMRB...when I say that in a CASE that's due to my experience
    DS: and you say that b/c PMRB characteristics can be caused by soil water enzymes, yeah?
    W: no, not PMRB, but early decomp and putrid root can be mimicked by environmental factors, but not full PMRB
    JA starts to object but DS starts talking again
    DS: you say full PMRB is there a standard to which I can read to determine ...
    DS: i have to know the processes to know...
    HHJP: overruled
    W: full band in photo you provided band covers whole shaft...other's show spaces..but not on the entire width of hair
    DS: you didn't measure banding in this case, yeah?
    W: it spanned the shaft
    it doesn't extend on the entire hair does it?
    W: yes it does...the width...
    DS: no the length...you didn't determine the length of the hair banding...(confusion ensues) JA: objection relevance, HHJP sighing, asking clarifying questions...overruled
    DS: you did not measure the length of the hair which you alleged to have the banded portion, correct?
    W: I did not but the width of the shaft
    DS: and the length of the hair didn't have the band did it?
    W: no, it would only be seen in an area where the hair transitions from soft to hard keratin so it wouldn't be anywhere else on the hair...
    DS: are there measurements in the research of the length ....studies of living people....(???)
    W: Not that I know
    DS: (continues to try to get her to say hair can get this band on living person's hair)....FBI study showed putrification...witness reminds her that putrid root is NOT THE SAME as hair banding....blah blah going around in circles...
    DS: that's the whole point!
    W: again, to date....it's not a PMRB...it's an area of putrid root where the area is darkened but...I'm not sure what you're asking
    DS: that's my point...the FBI says you can get that in a living person hair
    JA: objection asked and answered
    DS: it's areas that are DARKENED, aren't there?
    W: either at the very end, which is putrid roots, or portions of the cortext, neither of which are PMRB
    DS: repeating (can we all say putrid root is not postmortem hair banding? got it? good:) )....
    W: repeating...
    DS: doesn't understand what hair root is...clarifies...so the root shows areas of darkening in some of the FBI hairs, yeah?
    W: yeah
    DS: okay so when you render an opinion that something is consistent w/decomp you wanna make sure you are correct and scientific and there's a paper out there that's got info and it's from the guy you referenced earlier wouldn't you wanna read it?
    W: again, I am familiar with some of it and it doesn't repute my findings
    JA: objection asked and answered....circling again and again...a little snark...because DS paused and JA thought she was done....
    DS: so you won't do this on a photo and you're only seeing photos on this thesis and aren't using it to rule out possible conclusions here
    W: repeats doesn't want to look at photocopies of photos...
    DS: did you try to look at the actual photos?
    W: no
    DS: and you said there's an enzyme no one can pronounce...that hairs exposed to that also show evidence of decomp even though they are from living people, yeah?
    W: yes, according to the article, the enzyme dissolves the material leaving something that may look like earlier decomp but doesn't look like a PMRB

DS: and these enzymes are found in food--cheese?
DS: the whole point is if she's saying PM was cause of RB and there's other research out there, then it call question into her conclusions b/c there was garbage in this case
JA: in this case the issue is whether or not the principles are correct...opinion is for trial, not Frye
DS: I'll rephrase unless you were gonna overrule him
HHJP: no, you need to bring it in
DS: ok this process of looking at hair under microscope and saying it's a band consistent with PMRB...same question different words
DS: rephrase same same and cite the articles if you are aware...isn't it more likely to be environmental than PMRB
W: again, differences in PMRB and early decomp
DS: your conclusion is PMRB i'm talking process do you know articles that say enzymes can cause darkened area on hair from living person....blah blah....rephrase yet again...enzymes darken hair...is there general acceptance that when you expose hair to the enzymes the hair darkens and it's is not considered to be caused from enzymes but from PMRB (???)
W: was waiting for objection...could you repeat?
everyone laughs LOL
DS: we know there is research that says if you expose a hair to an enzyme it can cause that hair to darken, correct?
W: yes, exposing a hair to (enzyme) caused rest of the root...(repeats how early decomp and PMRB aren't same thing
DS: (attempt at word boggle again)...slide referred to hairS but there was really only one hair, yeah?
HHJP: it seems you have more significant cross exam yeah?
DS: yep
HHJP: let's take a break and get refreshed

DS: is there a proficiency test re: PMRB
DS: you had 2-3 courses during which some discussed PMRB, yeah?
W: yes and a year long training program under the direct supervision of other examiners and reviewed literature and the reference collection saw thousands of hair and that was just training.
DS: including hair comparison
W: yes and also PMRB included of course
DS: there are no published standards on how to determine whether or not a hair meets listed criteria of PMRB (length, how far exactly from end of root, etc.), yeah?
W: there are no written standards but if it doesn't go on the whole width of hair I wouldn't consider it PMRB but it's (microscopic) visual not measurements
DS: and that's your opinion?
W: backed up by another examiner
DS: so the error rates...blah blah blah...
DS: (arguing)
W: i'm not aware of the error rate (for this process)....(repeats basically...)
DS: and you've had some cases where wrong, yeah?
DS: in this case..there was a conversation with FBI guy...and before he got the hair you talked to him about what to look for...?
W: he would have been given glass slides and confirmation form indicating I had considered hair to show apparent decomp and comparison to hair from hairbrush
DS: there's no one else who rendered an opinion that it was consistent with decomp other you and Mr. Shaw, yeah?
DS: goes to procedure and process to reach conclusion
JA: the basis is Frye...
DS: it is part of Frye...
HHJP: sustained rephrase
DS: the FBI trains people for blind verification, yeah?
W: it's conducted a lot yes
DS: since you'd already talked to Shaw, it wasn't a blind verification yeah?
W: nope it was a confirmation
DS: there's no study as to your personal error rate and this process is there?
DS: your opinion is less strong because you only one hair, yeah?
HHJP: nope, sustained
DS: in terms of root banding, you don't know what causes it, do you?
W: No
DS: asks about examiner's personal test scores
DS: (JA) went into her background...
DS: how many cases have you given an opinion where you have reviewed a hair and you thought it was evidenced to PMRB
JA: experience isn't Frye
DS: you aren't a hair expert are you?
W: not from a medical standpoint
DS: how many other labs engage in analysis of a single hair to determine PMRB?
W: it could be part of any case...so any lab that looks at human hairs...
DS: there are groups that exist for scientific analysis of evidence, yeah?
W: yes
DS: and there isn't one for root banding is there?
W: No, it would be part of (some hair committee)
DS: but they don't tell you what the criteria should be
W: no they don't, there's no checklist but there's definitions
DS: ...
JA: objection asked and answered and compound question
DS: part of the hair that was used to reach this was destroyed, yeah?
DS: part of the item that she is reviewing is gone
HHJP: that goes to her opinion, not her methodology..sustained
DS: in your depo re: FBI studies and PMHB, you didn't say that you and Mr. Shaw were doing research...why not?
W: study hadn't started
DS: had you talked about it
DS: and the FBI can do research, have a manuscript that documents it, indicate inadequecies in a field, yet not choose to publish it?
DS: does the FBI publish all the of the research it performs?
W: I have no way of knowing that....in my office we publish but I can't speak for all
DS: but if research says that environmental can cause hair banding, what happens to all those cases where they said PMHB
JA: objection relevance and speculation

DS: (again asks about hair being destroyed)
W: it wasn't destroyed
DS: did you cut it?
W: I submitted a portion of non-banded area to mitochondrial dna lab
DS there was a reference to an article...Lintz Lynche? ....re: application of this process...
W: yes, which article?
DS: long article name
W: okay
DS: you know that one?
DS: you understand it to say that lab enzymes and other LABORATORY enzyme processes can cause hair banding?
JA objects needs article (again)
DS: of course!....(reading, etc.) 2001 article, p. 17...bottom of first paragraph...
end of part 4

DS: (still going on with the enzyme thing)...witness's response keeps getting screwed up due to technical difficulties...
W: repeating the hair in article's photo does not show a band that is consistent with PMRB but shows early decomp...
DS: withdrawn...you had a depo in 2010...everyone has copies...p. 161...asked about the enzymes...nope, p. 160, line 7...witness's copy has different page numbers...DS reading into record witness's depo testimony...I can't hear her...(she wandered away)...(they are getting help form JA and HHJP)...p. 161 line 7...
JA: objection relevance (I think...hard to hear...HHJP sustained)
DS: p. 160 (?) line 15...is there anything that could cause this besides to postmortem
JA: objection asked and answered...HHJP: let her finish
DS: ...(again on about standards and still not getting witness's opinion of difference between root banding and a dark band caused by something else...IMO)
DS: if someone else looks at the dark color, they might call that banding even though it's caused by an enzyme, yeah?
W: I wouldn't think someone well trained would, no
DS: how many micrometers from the root was the band...blah blah
W: I don't know...re-explaining parts of hair...again explaining difference between PMRB and other types of decomp
DS: did the articles refer to PMRB re: toddler or where they adults?
W: don't know
DS: do you know difference between hair composition on toddlers and adults
DS: in terms of using this process to reach a conclusion that something is consistent with PMRB, you can't tell us the process of finding it consistent with something else... (??)
W: all I can say is whether or not something is consistent with what is present in PMRB
DS: but using this technique in the manner which you used it you can't deny that it may be more likely caused by something else?
JA: objection (?)
DS: if you only look at hairs from deceased how can you say hairs from living couldn't have bands?
DS: if they are ignoring science that shows...it's not just Frye...
HHJP: quoting case law...long and I didn't get it...sustained
DS: (arguing) that's the application and procedure that is a problem and that falls under frye
HHJP: you didn't ask about procedure
DS: if you're called that there is a hair with found with a band on it... there isn't a manual on the procedure for collecting only for hair banding, is there?
W: it would be handled as a hair from any other case
DS: and there isn't quality assurance re: an outside source observing your conclusions
DS: argues it's relevant because it refers to another case
JA: (can't hear)
DS: arguing this case talks about quality assurance
JA: (can't hear)...has nothing to do with it
DS: I did read it and I would disagree
HHJP: (can't hear...asks DS something)
DS: yes, sirt
DS: (takes a moment then continues w/ lack of standards re: toddlers vs. adults)
W: same as I said before...product of training and experience
DS: FBI wanted someone to be an expert in this case and wanted someone to be an expert to support your fingdings, yeah?
JA: objection relevance (can't hear it all)
HHJP: sustained (can't hear)
DS: did you suggest that an email be sent to look for other experts to support this process?
JA: objection relevance (can't hear)
HHJP: (can't hear)
DS: repeats question
W: not that I recall...I might have mentioned the sample was preserved and available for defense expert
DS: so the process of reaching a conclusion re: cause being PMRB has no standards for me to cross on?
DS: there's no published criteria on how to analyze root banding with males vs females, yeah?
W: there are no standards for males vs females
DS: that's all and can I confirm that the rest of the issues in this motion can be heard in another hearing?
HHJP: you said in your motion that it's about Frye. Can you give me a filed motion that has something besides Frye?
DS: silent or quiet...
HHJP: if there's anything in here besides Frye, can you show me?
DS: can i have a moment?
HHJP: you may
DS: thank you...sits down
JA asks if he can redirect, HHJP says yes
JA: counsel refers to "error rate" are you familiar with that?
JA: does that term apply ....doesn't that term apply to error rates in which an instrument might be...it's a measurement error...like if a ruler only goes down to 1/8th of an inch, then the error rate would be 1/8th of an inch, right?
W: an error rate refers to something reproducible...an expected rate of error, so even in her comparisons, he didn't apply
JA: b/c hair exam. is an opinion by its very nature
JA: so no lab in the world has an error rate for how often its experts are wrong, yeah?
DS: objection
JA: I just don't want "error rate" to be misunderstood
JA: purpose was what I said
HHJP: rephrase
JA: are you aware of any lab that produces an error rate re: expert opinions
JA: (refers to depo)
W: reads out loud from summary (from 2001 article) ---postmortem head hair proximal end changes are sufficiently specific for expert to offer an opinion that hair might have come from decomposing scalp tissue. (not a quote)
JA: is there anything in either of the articles where Lynche (?) opines that this enzyme can produce a banding that is mistakable for PMRB?
W: No.
JA: no further questions
DS: you were asked about error rates and you were of the opinion that they do not apply if someone is giving an opinion, yeah?
W: I don't think so.
DS: you can be wrong, right, you can make an error in this process, yeah?
W: hair comparisons in general don't work w/error rates b/c it's supposed to be a reproducible error...not possible for this type of discipline.
DS: then you don't know how often you may be wrong, yeah?
W: (missed part..no sound)....it might be referred for more analysis
DS: (keeps on re: error rates)
DS: he brought up error rate...
DS: you have been wrong, right?
W: there have been cases where mitochondiral dna lab hasn't associated the hair, but they might have shown similar characteristics but came from different individuals
DS: so if you don't have standard for opinions or individuals then how can you...
witness excused

[I do not know why I took this task on today...I'm overzealous sometimes and it's Spring Break so no teaching this week...let's call it laundry and housework avoidance]

Aw, Yuri :loveyou: :loveyou: :loveyou: :loveyou:

JB: July 17, 2008...you're detective on this case...you remember contacting deputy forgey (?) to come out?
JB: and he was a cadaver dog handler?
JB: you know distinction between human remains dog and cadaver dog?
W: I asked Forgey about it
JB: you talked to him re: car, yeah?
JB: and it was at OCSO forensics bay, yeah?
JB: and you had doubt at 1st re: how helpful dog might be, yeah?
W: no, not doubts, just questions
JB: was one of your concerns (grr) whether or not dog could ascertain whether or not remains had ever been vehicle?
W: my question was would his dog alert to a vehicle?
JB: and he told you he'd "take a shot at it?"
JB: exact words?
W: don't know
JB: remember your depo?
JB: need a refresher?
W: sure
JB: refers to dep...

Oh funny this is when the crazy guy stands up...wow, his statement was said in a very weak voice! LOL ROTFL :floorlaugh:

JB approaches Yuri...tells him page and line...did he inform you he'd "give it a shot?"
W: that's what I said...not to be taken as his words
JB: (repeats the "give it a shot" thing ???)
JB: where are you when forgey arrives?
W: in the bay...I think, I don't remember
JB: did he ask it be moved from garage? (forensics garage)
JB: did you move it?
W: no personally
JB: need another refresher?
W: sure (unruffled IMO :loveyou: )
JB: ...so Forgey arrives...car is positioned where
W: outside bay door...don't know how far
JB: so it wasn't a parking lot?
W: no it was...remember when you came...lunch...
JB wants Yuri to step down and draw a diagram...reminds Yuri he's not an artist
Yuri reminds HIM it's not to scale
Yuri draws [no pictionary fantasies going on over here...nope!]
JB: were there any cars in this spot...(gesturing I think)
Yuri explaining where car is...I'm not typing all of that...
JB has Yuri put "1" where Forgey began search...
JB: which doors did he open? did he open the trunk?
Yuri: don't know, checking report...doesn't indicate
JB: do you know if he inspected any other cars?
Yuri: No
JB: got it in notes?
Yuri: No
JB: did you talk about this in your depo?
Yuri: I don't recall
JB: refresher?
Yuri: yes, please
JB: and you saw him stop at the trunk area?
Yuri: yes
JB: how do you know the dog alerted?
Yuri: I think it sat.
they discuss how he knew and what kind of alert blah
JB: did Forgey give you any other info?
Yuri: don't recall
JB: you also had him look at AL's car, yeah?
Yuri: yes
JB: (hard to hear b/c Yuri still over by wall chart) ...has JB label the cars on his chart (CMA and AL)...Yuri doesn't remember where exactly Forgey started on AL's and JB has Yuri autograph his drawing with a "joke"
Yuri sits back down in witness stand.
JB: before the pontiac search, you had Forgey go to the house, yeah?
Yuri: I don't remember who asked him to go, but yes...but was on vacation when that happened...discussing if Forgey was deployed where Caylee's remains were found...he wasn't but had been at end of suburban

No further questions...looks like no cross...hm, seemed kind of abrupt, IMO

(I know these are coming late in the day and maybe you would have wanted them earlier while you were at work, but I was still asleep then...anyway, you don't want to watch ALL the raw video tonight, do ya? :giggle: )

JB establishes witness was present when Deputy Forgey (sp?) looked at car and witness did a report...you moved car...who asked you to?
W: Forgey
JB: how did he conduct his search?
W: He walked around vehicle with canine
JB asking this witness to play pictionary...oops, sorry, draw a diagram on big chart paper of where car was in parking lot/driveway
JB: where did Forgey start search?
W: shows him on diagram and said Forgey and dog walked around car, then asked CSI to open driver's side door and trunk, which were done simultaneously and dog sniffed around by driver's side door, then stopped and sat down by right rear of car.
JB: did he ask you to open car door?
W: yes....later...
JB: were there any other cars that he searched that day?
W: that was the only vehicle in the area
JB: were you present when he did the search re: TL's car?
JB: you weren't working that day?
W: I wasn't there when he looked at that car
JB has him sign drawing and sit back down

JB: did you see Forgey at the A's home?
W: yes, same day
JB and CSI establish that Forgey was called b/c of some sand/soil disturbance in the backyard
W: yes, he did his inspection with his canine and that was it...didn't see the canine alert in backyard...
JB: oops, back up, another car question...was the dog on a leash?
W: probably yes...he went by himself
JB: they asked everyone to leave backyard?
JB: so only Forgey can testify to that
JB: were you there when the second canine unit came?
W: yes didn't see don't remember her name (deputy Brewer)
JB: was everyone asked to leave backyard when she came?
W: no one was back there anyway
JB: was Forgey allowed back there?
W: I don't remember
JB: did you know the dogs had alerted in the backyard?
W: yes, we marked it
JB: and then these areas were dug up?
W: not the same day....we removed some areas and checked the ground and then the next day the squad arrived and searched...scene was secured overnight
JB: next day, CSI came out?
W: yep, my day off
JB: did you witness any other deployments by cadaver dogs in this case?

no cross

witness excused

ahhh nice and short:)

JB: were you present for cadaver dog re: ICA's car?
W: yes, me, Melich, Bloise
JB: you didn't do report b/c Bloise did?
JB: someone asked for car to be taken out of garage?
W: yes, Bloise
Diagram time again...
JB: were there any other cars in the bay?
JB has him label and clarify front of car location
JB: where did Forgey start his search?
W shows on diagram...says he went around the car...may or may not have stopped the first go around...not on a leash...then Forgey asked Bloise to open driver's side door and trunk...then dog went around again...stopped at right rear corner and sat down...not on leash...JB has W label alert on diagram, then backs up...did Forgey tell you he alerted? Yes...(can't hear)
JB: were you there when AZ's car was deployed cadaver dogs on it?
JB: you weren't there THAT DAY
W signs and sits
JB: after this, did you go to the A home?
JB: was Forgey brought in there?
JB: you see it?
W: nope everyone left
JB: so only Forgey could say what happened?
JB: were you told where dogs alerted?
W: we were told three spots in backyard...didn't say specific areas b/c he wanted to call in other dog for verification
JB: on or off leash?
W: don't know either first or second searches
JB: was Forgey there when Brewer did her search?
W: I don't remember, maybe
JB: then after Brewer's search what happened?
W: we excavated two of the sites that night and the next one preserved for next day
JB: find anything?
JB: dogs return next day?
W: wasn't there, don't know
JB: you know whether they were?

no cross, witness excused

[ETA: I'm not done listening to the rest of what I missed today, but I'm done typing for today... ]

(AZ=AL above) :blowkiss: to AZLawyer who must have been on the brain:)

:eek:fftobed:

3/24/11 Jason Forgey OCSO K-9 Handler Deputy

I’ll be more brief today :blush:
Taken from Raw video and DVR’ed Insession

ICA=Inmate Casey Anthony
W=Witness
DT=Defense Team
SA=State Attorney’s Office Team
(JB=Jose Baez, JA=John Ashton, and so forth)

• ICA in dark rose cable-knit V-neck sweater and dark pants; hair in bun, HHJP in black robe, no bun
  • Gerus was German Shephard…worked w/Forgey for ~6 years, including when working on this case
  • Gerus had lots of training (400 hours at OSCO, 2 seminars by authority on cadaver dogs)
  • Gerus was trained in: human remains, decomp…rags soaked in chest cavity of cadavers, placentas, body parts, bones, blood, and pseudoscent
    JB: putricine and cadaverine?
    W: Don’t know—I know it was drown victim pseudoscent and I don’t know which one pseudoscent at seminar)
  • Discussed training log protocols
    JB: why did you keep a log?, etc….who gave you the bright idea to write that stuff down?
    W: It’s general practice to save training logs…it’s just what the unit does, don’t remember who specifically trained me back in 2001
  • There are guidelines within the unit re: what to record in logs
  • Some log items are choices from drop-down computer lists
  • Are there scientific guidelines for dogs? Do you know who SWIGGDOG (sp? Canadian anthro yesterday discussed it)
    JB: ever look them up?
    W: No don’t know who they are
  • Gerus was certified after basic full-service police dog service, then specialty school for specialized service
  • Dog not certified yearly, but evaluated quarterly by trainers
  • JB: when you was your dog last evaluated just prior to this case? 2/29/2008—noon—cadaver training—Deputy Ramos was trainer…target was 2 bones in open field and dog found target both times in two searches. It was cold and night, w/S winds from south. No problems noted.
  • JB arguing trainer was really just an observer/witness during the quarterly evaluations.
  • June 2, 2008 was also an evaluation day, and JB is pressing about details actually written in log.
  • No more evaluations logged in 2008.
  • JB: Were 2 evaluations double-blind?
    W: I don’t recall—isn’t in log.
    JB: Wouldn’t it be good note keeping to do so?
    W: Possibly.
    JB: Is it possible you wanna be thorough with these logs? It’s possible you’ll go before judge (duh)
    W: Um, yeah, very possibly.
    JB: are there any indications as to what kind of testing (double or single blind) in the log?
    JB: Are there any log evaluations indicate single or double blind testing?
    W: I can look
    JB: ok
    W: 10/06/2007…12/6/2007—no deputy name, but Forgey remembers occasion, as it was not test, it was a training in an other place to test prior to real search.
    JB: Asking about witness’s familiarity and definitions of single and double blind
    W (what do I believe you are talking about?? LOL) then says single is when just the dog doesn’t know, double is when handler and the dog doesn’t know [where something is], but in either case the dog doesn’t know…
    JB: why don’t you specify if it’s single or double-blind testing?
    W: It’s not a box on the form (LOL totally sounds like my dad)….I guess it would just be assumed…
    JB: aren’t you required to do double blind testing when training?
    JB: you agree there’s such a thing as handler bias?
    W: I don’t think I’d agree…is there stuff out there? Yes
    JB: you’ve read cadaver manual
    JB: you and dog are a team, yeah
    JB and W: and you work on preventing the handler from cuing the dog as dog reads body language, etc. and wants to please…we talk in commands…one way conversation (verbally, as witness specifies)
    JB: you know the handbook cautions you against cuing the dog…in 2008 you don’t have one single piece of documentary evidence to indicate that your dog was trained double blinded, right?
    W: Within that year, correct
    JB: farthest back is 2007
    W: I can go to 2005
    JB: no indication on any logs that dog was double blinded
  • Witness now going through entire log which looks to be about three years worth of logs…to find any instance of where it specified double or single blind training (seems like JB knows there’s single page in all that which states double or single and we get to wait while poor witness plays find the word on national tv
    W: 7/29/05 is first one I’ve come to [chronologically beginning w/05 I take it]…all finds were unknown to me (Gerus, I believe, good dog), this was my certification, no problems noted.
    JB: so not since ’05?
    W: No, I started at the beginning and that’s first one found
    JB: ok keep going
    W keeps going…11/8/2005…cadaver trng…no trainer written, but it’s the Redmond et al trnrs…we did lots of box searches…31 searches 31 targets 31 finds [can WS all say 31 DAYS :banghead:]…witness keeps looking…
    JB: does it “say” they were double blind?
    JB: memory?
    JB keep going
    W…same thing 11/9/05 all day…
    JB: memory?
    JB: keep going
    JB: let me ask you this: do you have any memory of putting double blind trng in this dog’s log in 2005 school?
    W: 2006 school
    JB: any not from school?
    W: not that I recall

End of part one

Part 2

ICA=Inmate Casey Anthony
W=Witness
DT=Defense Team

• JB: there’s no documentation in logs that shows you have conducted any double blind testing with the dogs other than the school/memory
    W: there’ve been other witnesses, just not in logs
    JB: it’s fair to say the integrity of these logs are critical then, yeah?
    W not understanding…
    JB: indicates there might have been cues but no one would have known
    W: there were a lot of other people there, they all witnessed it all
    JB: but you haven’t told me who they are…
    W: reminds him of Redmond
    JB: pushing “nothing in logs”
    JB: so you admit a trainer can cue a dog and double blind testing is the only way to prevent that
    W: I don’t think you can prevent it all (at all..not sure)
    JB: the only evidence that your dog was trained on those days is your words?
    W: wait…when…2008?
    JB: besides the two times (evaluations) are there any other times?
    W: No b/c you asked me to stop looking in 2008 and then you had me go back…you’re jumping around
    JB: but you said there’s only those two times
    W: wait you’re jumping around you said ’08…then ’05…
    JB: ok let’s stick to only ’08…start from ’08…besides those two previously mentioned times, the only evidence of that dog’s trainings and results is your word and what you wrote down, yeah?
    W: within 2008, yes
    JB: so answer is yes?
    W: for ‘08
    JB: so the integrity of those is critical in judging reliablility w/dog
    W: clarify “critical”
    JB: we have to rely on you for credibility of dog
    W: It is true and correct and I can fill in blanks
    JB: so is that a “yes?”
    W: to…?
    JB: the only way that we can tell the accuracy and reliability of trng of dog is by you?
    W: and..[other scientist]
    JB: let me break it down again…other than those two occasions, the only way we can accurately look at the reliability of these logs is you, ther’s no one else who can verify them
    JB: so your logs are critical and so are there omissions…you’ve heard the phrase “lying by omission”
    W: I guess
    JB: you know someone can lie by not telling complete truth
    W seems to wait hoping for objections, and JDB does it
    HHJP: relevancy?...relevancy??
    JB: silent
    JB: you took oath to tell whole truth…whole truth is important
    W: correct
    JB: that is my point
  • JB: let’s start w/your first search in this case. When was it?
    W: search car in forensic bay
    JB: prior to that you talk to Yuri?
    JB: he ask if it’s possible to run search on a car that has no body?
    W: don’t remember
    JB: you recall telling him you’ll “give it a shot?”
    W: don’t recall…told him where how long till I get there, etc.
    JB: do you recall telling him you’ll “give it a shot?”
    W: don’t recall
  • JB: you got there, what did you do?
    W: went to forensics, talked to tech, walked out to bay
    JB: did you instruct anyone to do anything?
    W: yes move vehicle…waited with door closed of bay…moved my own car I think…took out Gerus…and ran search
    JB: on what car?
    W: two cars..there was car next to white car…
    JB: whose car was that?
    W: your client…or their parents…didn’t know who other car belonged to…blue….truck…doesn’t remember off-hand
    JB: please refresh self as needed but tell us what it is
    W: my depo transcript
    W looks at transcript
    JDB asks to help w/page # for witness…is thanked
    JB: refreshed?
    W: yes still looking…says same thing about parking…
    JB wants diagram drawing again, so W goes to draw on big chart paper where everyone’s car was in relation to bay/garage/each other, whatever, labels everything, (UNK=AL’s car, which was unknown to witness etc.)
  • JB has W put mark where he started search…started on one of bumpers, not sure which side…would have to look at notes…started out on UNK car (AL’s)…
    W: says…deployed dog…gave command…(can’t hear) in counter-clock manner around vehicle…labels…it was ICA’s car..
    JB: and you knew it was ICA’s car, yeah?
    W: I didn’t know who she was…knew it was car in question…walked around like this…(gesturing, drawing arrows I can’t see…) (JB said something about direction wind)
    JB: what next?
    W: he started to give alerts around vehicle…had guy on standby to open vehicles...second time around dog started alerting…had guy open driver’s door…dog stuck head in and immediately looked toward back seat…
    JB: are you referring to your bond hearing testimony)…
    W: yes (he’s holding it in his hand)

[cell phone goes off for w a y too long—HHJP not happy]

W continues describing search while referring to bond hearing transcript
    JB asks him to stop and instead use it to refresh memory then answer after that
    W reads
    W continues…had tech work ahead of him and had him open trunk…dog put head inside and front paws…made eye contact, got back out of trunk and sat down at right rear tail-light/bumper area (final trained alert)
    JB is final trained alert a scientific term
    W: I don’t know…it’s what he’s trained to do..that’s his alert
    JB: like “that’s your final answer?”
    W: I guess…are you talking about a game show?
    JB: yeah…as opposed to a preliminary alert…there’s no such thing, right?
    W: no…he gave a “final alert.”
    JB: there’s no preliminary alert but there’s a final one?
    JDB objects
    JB: I’ve noticed you have to refer to your prior testimony to answer
    W: yes so I’m correct
    JB: and that is why it’s important to keep your logs accurate, etc., detailed, etc.
    JB: that goes back to the “whole truth” portion, right (referring to oath grrr)…gives W copy of police report…asks W how long is that report?
    W: not very long, you want word count, sentence, paragraph?
    JB: does it at all indicate there was a blue car there that day?
    JB: you’re aware that you’re supposed to have more than one vehicle best practices?
    JB: the manual doesn’t say that?
    W: yes in training
    JB: in training only but not real life?
    W: I don’t know if it says that specifically, no
    JB: so the point of having more than one car is so handler won’t alert, yeah?
    W: I don’t know
  • JB: why do they want you to have more than one car
    W: in trng?
    JB: no real life
    W: doesn’t work in real life generally…
    JB: but you say you did it here, yeah?
    JB: so what was the purpose of that…of searching blue car…??
    W: to let dog know he’s working
    JB: not to make sure you didn’t cue dog to other car?
    W: no…look I don’t know exactly why I decided that…this case is different... it’s odd…first time something like this had happened besides a trng scenario…I can’t say for sure why I did it
    JB: so this was your first non training vehicle search?
    JB: and you indicate there was a blue car during that
    JB: but you don’t mention it in report?
End of Part Two

Part 3

ICA=Inmate Casey Anthony
W=Witness
DT=Defense Team

• JB: and blue car isn’t written on other bond hearing thing, yeah?
    W: right
    JB: so you didn’t ever tell anyone else about the blue car, right?
    W: well there people present when I did the search…
    JB: right…are you aware that all of them testified that there was only one car…
    JDB: objection leading
    JB: Judge, I would say this is an adverse witness and ask court to recognize him as such
    HHJP: JDB?
    JDB: I think he means hostile and I don’t see evidence that W is
    JB: I think the requirement would be that this witness may be called by opposing party and is on their witness list and sould be considered adverse/hostile witness
    HHJP: well you haven’t established him to be [chuckle] hostile, so…the judgment on leading is sustained
    JB: read last question please?
    Court reporter does
    JB: did you watch the news yesterday or watch this case on tv?
    JB: so you didn’t see previoius testimony
    JB: report says no blue car
    JB: bond hearing testimony says no blue car
    JDB: objection asked and answered
  • JB: did you ever talk about blue car in this case?
    W: Yes, in my deposition
    JB: Judge, I need to ask this for record…when you testified for the Grand Jury, (someone groans warningly and loudly, while JDB objects) JB says, “I can finish the question, judge.”
    HHJP: you can finish question but W do not answer unless I instruct you to and …
    JB: when you testified on GJ, did you tell them about the blue car?
    HHJP: JA? JDB?
    Both object, JDB: that testimony isn’t public record…(flustered)
    HHJP: offers JB free legal advice…advises W not to answer
    JB: I understand judge but just so you know we’ll follow this up with a motion for the court to evaluate that testimony in evaluating this witness’s testimony and that’s the only reason why I asked it (yippee)
    JB takes a moment to consult or grab other papers
  • JB: was this search video’d?
    W: not that I know
    JB: weren’t you trained they should all be videoed?
    JB: did you read in the handbook where it says you should?
    W: big requirement between suggestion and rule…it’s a book, not my policy manual or guidelines
    JB: but did you read where it said videos could be entered in trial?
    W: I read the book don’t remember that sentence
    JB shows him book
    W: that’s the procedures for scent line-ups…it’s referring in general…chapter says line-ups…some of it is vehicles, some are about clothing…an array…
    JB says something I can’t hear
    W: that sentence is in there…the exact sentence “the line-up should be [videoed].
    JB: then vehicle line up is a line up
    W: I think of line ups as people…two paragraphs prior to that are re: articles and cars
    JB: is it your understanding that car lineups should be videoed?
    JB: did you not video a line up with pizza in one car and a bunch of cars…prior to this case
    JB: why you tape that?
    W: that was actually for a different dog I was training…it was at request of that trainer for that dog to set up that scenario b/c of all the irrationality of that exact scenario [in this case]…so I set up that scenario up for the new dog to run the scenario for them, but the dog didn’t make it that day so I figured since it’s set up already I’ll run it.
    JB: so it was just a grand coincidence
    W: I just said it was all the…hype..
    JB: The MEDIA hype??
    HHJP: M r . B a e z…look at your motion…look at the four corners of your motion for what we’re here for today…while that may be interesting…it might be a possible subject for cross in actual trial, not today… and remember ya’ll only scheduled two days here
    JB: Well, I happen to think it does, and that’s why I’m asking
    HHJP: well, I don’t
    JB: did you complete any other reports in this case?
    W: not that I know
    JB: but you did other searches, yeah?
    JB: where?
    W: A’s backyard
    JB: tell us about it
    W: we went to yard and searched whole thing…got alert in SE corner of yard by play area…
  • JB: just one alert?
    W: that was a final trained alert…he was alerting in that area and gave me the final trained alert in the southeast corner of the yard
    JB: I’m confused did you say he gave you premliminary alerts prior to final?
    W: no like we said no prelim alerts only final, there’s alert and “final alert”
    JB: what is the difference?
    W: you can train a canine to be passive and give you a final alert, or aggressive and give a scratch alert, final trained alert, passive down, retrieve…whatever you train them to is the final trained alert…but whenever you have a behavior change in a dog that’s an alert b/c the dog is telling you he’s onto something…when working to an odor, I can read that he’s giving me an alert…stance, prance, hair, breathing pattern,
    JB tries to pick apart stance, prance, hair, etc.
    W describes changes in dog…puffed up hair, is statuesque… etc…hackles coming up but with different tail appearance
    JB: when he alerted in this case, was it strong alert?
    W: it was an alert
    JB: what next
    W: let dog work…he went to SE corner near play area and gave final trained alert
    JB: then what?
    W: I think that was the final part of entire search, but I’d like to look back at bond hearing… (reads)
    JB: so did you tell somebody?
    W: I took dog out of yard told and detective, which it doesn’t say here, but I told detectives…called Brewer (saw her yesterday I think) b/c I wanted second opinion, second dog…so I could be as thorough as I could be?
    JB: just like you were w/the first search?
    W: well…
    JDB objects unclear
    JB tries to talk and HHJP shushes him (literally)
    HHJP: sustained rephrase
    JB: just like you were w/vehicle search
    W: I was thorough there
    JB: did you call Brewer and ask her to come out then?
    JB: why not?
    W: my knowledge of the case had changed since then
    JB: what about your knowledge in the case had made you more able to know if your dog alerts or not?
    W: I don’t know usually anything about the cases before I get there…I just go and do my thing and dog does work…I don’t recall asking if it was involved in missing person, hit and run, whatever,…obviously after I alerted, I was informed more, and we went to house
    JB: but what about your newly gained info makes your dog more or less reliable than before (why did you not get second opinion before then?)
    W: nothing
  • JB: your answer was that you knew more about the case and that’s why you wanted someone else to come in and look.
    W: I wanted to go above and beyond and do the best job I could do.
    JB: was dog off or on leash
    W says he thought off…checks depo…answers that it doesn’t say…JB asks about car search and W says on
    JB: okay, so off minimizes handler bias, yeah?
    W: I don’t believe so
    JB: aren’t you directing the dog more when you have dog on leash?
    W: you’ll refine search pattern yes, but you’re asking me about causing a false alert here…
    JB: just answer
    W: …please repeat question
    JB: repeats --having dog off minimizes bias yeah?
    W: I don’t think so
  • JB: so Brewer comes out, yeah?
    W: yes, I tell her yard and I probed three areas, and gave her time frame and area has been clear and told her what we did in the yard EXCEPT what my dog did in yard
    JB: so what does she do
    W: searches w/her dog
    JB: did dog alert?
    JB: weak or strong?
    W: ask her
    JB: so then detectives secured scene
    W: I don’t know what they did
    JB: are you aware they secured scene?
    W: I don’t know
    JB: they began to search that area for two day
    W: forensics did for one day I think
    JB: did CSI come back next day?
    W: Did I?
    JDB objects
    JB: this has not been asked and answered
    HHJP to witness: you know what they did?
    HHJP: that’s that
    JB: were you asked to come back next day?
    JB: did it appear someone had searched
    W: it appeared someone had skimmed the area
    JB: most likely cops or csi?
    W: I’d guess
    JB: did dog deploy again
    JB: did alert?
    JB: you call Brewer?
    JB: she alert?
    W: don’t think so
    JB: are you aware if they found any remains or items of forensic value where your dog alerted?
    W: I’m not aware..(something I can’t hear)…
    JB: so that could be a false positive, yeah?
    W: it’s possible
    JB: so yes it could be?
    JB: not just from you but from other dog?
    JB: is it proper to send one dog in when another dog has already searched?
    W: is it common practice? Yes
  • JB: did you note your false positive anywhere?
    W: I wouldn’t say it’s false positive, you are saying that
    JB: what you call it?
    W: what I said earlier (repeated earlier answers)
    JB: and reason you no call false+ is cuz dog could be alerting to blood, yeah?
    W: sure
    JB: someone could have cut their skin there
    W: ?
    JB: like someone could have left a piece of skin threre?
    JB: what else could have happened?
    W: someone could have laid a deceased person on the ground while it was decamping (!!!!!)
    JB: what else?
    W: blood...tissue…body…
    JB: no way for you to tell difference or if false +?
    W: if forensics didn’t recover anything then I would have no way of knowing
    JB: and you didn’t note this poss false +?
    W: you asked me about it at depo and bond hearing and at depo you said I didn’t tell you but I did tell you at the bond hearing
    JB: we’ll get to that..is there any report that shos a poss false + in this case
    JB: is there anything that talks about that?
    HHJP: Attorneys Approach PLEASE
    They do and talk for long time…people adjust DT’s laptop screens to the semi-down position…ICA and aide clerk Medina talk…
    End of Part Three

3/24/11 Jason Forgey OCSO K-9 Handler Deputy Part 4
Taken from Raw video
HHJP=His Honorable Judge Perry :loveyou:
ICA=Inmate Casey Anthony
W=Witness
DT=Defense Team
(JB=Jose Baez, JA=John Ashton, and so forth EXCEPT for some reason I keep calling Linda Drane-Burdick “JDB” instead of “LDB” and expect that continue sometimes but always with my apologies…I’m not a professional;) )

• JB: Forgey, in your trng logs, any trng on residual odor?
    W: don’t think so
    JB: so you can’t testify as to reliability of your dog for residual odor?
    W: I don’t believe there’s any, but no
    JB: based on your previous testimony, there’s no way to confirm false +, yeah?
    W: that is not what I said
    JB: is there a way to prove false + if you don’t find human remains
    W: you talking car or yard?
    JB: either
    W: not same
    JB: backyard…is there anyway for you determine whether the yard search was false +?
    W: unless forensics found something, for me, no
    JB: and what about car? No way for you to confirm false +
  • W: I smelled the odor…
    JB: not what I asked
    W: well that’s confirmation for me…I don’t know what forensics has found
    JB: are you certified to ID (can’t hear)
    W: I don’t know about certified but I’ve smelled lots of training aides and dead bodies
    JB: how many cars have you smelled that have bags of garbage in them that have been sitting in the hot Florida sun for three weeks?
    W: there’s no telling.
    JB: is that often?
    W: no but I couldn’t say either way I’ve lived in Florida my whole life…I’m sure I’ve walked past…stuff with rotten trash dumpsters, etc. my whole life
    JB: that wasn’t what I asked, (repeats)
    JDB: objection relevance
    JB takes a moment
  • JB: so review, the only thing you have to confirm what was in car is your nose?
    W: I said I don’t know what forensics has
    JB: is only thing you have to confirm not a false + is your nose, yeah?
    W: the way you’re asking it, yeah I guess…dog knew it, I knew it, I don’t know what forensics has
    JB: can your dog tell difference between something from live person or dead?
    W: depends…if it’s material from live person that is de-comping independent from the person, then it will still start to decomp…confused as to your question
    JB: is there any way for you to know if dog alerted for live or dead person?
    JB: was there any way for your dog to alert that the smell was Caylee Anthony?
    W: no I don’t believe so
    JB: all done
  • JDB up for cross-examination
    JDB: how long you worked there?
    W: 17 years I think
    JDB: how long you do K-9 unit?
    W: 10 years
    JDB: you’ve trained and used about six dogs, yeah?
    JDB reads through dog names and specialties
    JDB: and Gerus is more than just cadaver dog, yeah?
    W: he’s full service---multipurpose…building searches, criminal apprehension, scent-discrimination—man-trailing/tracking, obedience, area searches
    JDB: so he does a lot more than just detect a cadaver
    W: yeah, that’s his specialty, but he does other stuff
    JDB: you have Griffin right now? Is he full-service?
    W: yes and not yet
    JDB: Bones is the dog that Brewer has now?
    JDB: same Bones you had? And where was he from?
    W: yes, gotten through breeding programs
    JDB: where did Bones go before you
    W: other handler…I got him in 2001
    JDB: how long did you have him before it was decided he wasn’t going to be full service, but only cadaver?
    W: 2003…I also had another dog that didn’t turn out in-between Bones and Gerus
  • JDB: you had Gerus from 2004 until he retired in 2010 (good dog!)
    JDB: okay, let’s go back to Bones, was he trained on old and fresh blood?
    W: yes don’t know hold old though?
    JDB: trained on all types of human decomp? tissue, adipocere, wet and dry bone, body fluids, would that include urine and semen?
    W: all but urine and semen
    JDB: burned tissue?
    W: don’t recall
    JDB: fecal material?
    JDB: fecal material or urine w/decomp?
    W: No ma’am
  • JDB: he provided lots of different search environments…up down underground, blank search?...
    W: yes to all but blank search was don’t know
    JDB: did you use distractors in his trng?
    W: believe so, I know in real finds there were lots of people…I can look in the logs you gave to me, but all the originals went with dog to new handler
  • JDB: did you determine the quantity of odors we talked about by measuring? Like did you vary amounts?
    JDB: length of time aides had been out…on and off lead trng
    W: yes to both
    JDB: he’d already done a basic human remains detection course, yeah?
    JDB: any certifications he has were after you finished with him, though, yeah?
  • JDB: did you train Gerus similarly?
    JDB: different b/c he’s full-service?
    JDB: more stuff for specialty?
    JDB and W go over lots and lots of training Gerus has had in many areas and from Redmond school, etc. (impressive)
  • JDB: in his trng was he trnd for all those things mentioned earlier, yes he was on all yes burn tissue and mummified tissue…no semen, no fecal material, no urine…was exposed to many types of searches (elevated, buried, etc.)…different environments, distractors like animal bone, vary lots of aspects of searches so dog isn’t used to one thing etc.
    W all yes
    JDB: he have maintenance trng?
    JDB: requirements say monthly trng for dog, yeah?
    JDB: supervised quarterly but done monthly?
    W: yes and re-certified for full-service stuff yearly
    JDB: and Gerus was Florida certified for full-service?
    JDB: and the cadaver is training other than that and Florida doesn’t have school so you go to private trngs for that, yeah?
    W: yes…Florida doesn’t have that for any detection, whether cadaver, explosive…
    JB: objection strike unresponsive
    JDB: also additionally you have had lots of trng on just you (no dog) and on the job trng, yeah?
    JDB: lots and lots of different kinds of searches (W’s long resume is confirmed by W)—20,800?
    W: yes accurate
  • JDB: you were asked about if you have had trng on residual odor? What is your def. of residual odor (RO)?
    W: if I went out and laid out trng aide and then moved trng aide and it was then contained and only contaminated one little area and then dog came and alerts, that would be RO, at which point I would consider that to be a negative
    JDB: why?
    W: b/c it’s negative on the dog
    JDB: are you defining RO to be circumstances where someone was found dead and body was removed after a while…do you continue those circumstances in the RO definition?
    W: don’t understand
    JDB: Gerus has been taken to locations where a dead body was found, but taken after body was moved, and he alerted even though a body had been removed?
    JDB: you did that for trng even thought those were real circumstances?
    JDB: so he’s done experiences where dead thing gone now and left odor?
    JDB: in logs?
    JDB takes a moment
  • JDB: going to show you this paper…are these the right sheriff records re: you and dog?
    JDB: and it’s got all the dog’s credentials and what-not
    JDB: then trng records
    LDB enters records into evidence, JB objects but knows it’s already overruled HHJP says ask in exhibit
    HHJP: overrules objection and enters evidence
    LDB goes over more credential stuff w/ W

LDB is done
  • JB redirect
    JB: LDB asked you if you train on fecal matter or urine, yeah?
    W: yeah
    JB: but you don’t know if what your dog is alerting to as far as which part of decomp, yeah?
    W: I was talking about trng…I’ve never purposely trnd him for those things…not trying to be funny, just don’t get where you’re going
    JB: your dog ever distracted with urine?
    W: not that I know of
    JB: ever get a false alert on urine?
    W: I’d have to check logs
    JB: go to 2010…2/15/10…do you indicate that Gerus was slightly distracted to dog urine near sources?
    JB: so urine has distracted dog and you had to tell it to go back to work
    W: I believe it was animal urine
    JB: I said urine
    W: yes, he was slightly distracted by Dog urine
    JB: but you don’t know which chemical your dog alerts to in decomp, yeah?
    W: not a chemist so no…don’t know biological chemical breakdown of decomp…
    JB: in your “very impressive 20,800 hours where did you mark down all the false positives like you had in this case?”
    LDB objects relevancy
    JB: goes to reliability and trngs
    HHJP: allows, but then
End of Part Four

P.S. bet you can’t guess who is the easiest to summarize?

Part 5
Taken from Raw video
HHJP=His Honorable Judge Perry :loveyou:
ICA=Inmate Casey Anthony
W=Witness
DT=Defense Team
(JB=Jose Baez, JA=John Ashton, and so forth EXCEPT for some reason I keep calling Linda Drane-Burdick “JDB” instead of “LDB” and expect that continue sometimes but always with my apologies…I’m not a professional;) )

• W: where would I indicate the false?
    JB: you testified earlier that the dog didn’t alert the second time at the A’s home, yeah?
    JB: and you testified that you didn’t document that in any way, yeah?
    JB: so in those 20,800 hours that LDB brought out, where did you mark down your false positives for those sessions?
    W: which…false + trng session…that’s not what this is…this, he was distracted…I’m talking about “crittering”
    JB: so in your trng are there indications of false + where you haven’t verified?
    W: in here there were parts that did, but you only wanted me to talk about 2008
    JB: is there a Training Log for Real World searches?
    W: no, because that’s not a training scenario
    JB: so in this case, you wouldn’t put down where dog alerts and you can’t verify human remains
    W: those weren’t trainings, so…see, these say “Training Logs” so I wouldn’t put that down under training.
    JB: LDB talked re: residual odor, yeah?
    JB: you did go out on Suburban when Caylee Marie Anthony’s body was found, yeah?
    JB: and you deployed you dog when they were done sifting, yeah?
    W: yes b/c they were missing two or three bones of her
    JB: and you have actual evidence there had been a body there
    JB: and your dog didn’t alert?
    W: not a full trained alert, he was alerting, but I was trying to keep him away from the area where the actual remains in the bag were found
  • JB: you gave depo in this case, yeah?
    LDB objects relevancy
    HHJP: Mr. Baez, this is beyond the scope
    JB: uh no judge it isn’t beyond the scope…LDB brought up this trnr and his dog’s experience and reliability
    HHJP: it’s beyond scope, sustained
    JB: did you testify in your deposition
    HHJP: Mr. Baez did you hear what I just said?
    JB: I was gonna rephrase
    HHJP excuses and JB interrupts to move drawings and demonstrative aids into evidence and no one objects and W is excused

No more witnesses except one that is going to be heard in other motion so we wanna deal with it then (Dr. Vass)
End of Part Five

3/24/11 Arpad Vass, Part One

Taken from Raw video
HHJP=His Honorable Judge Perry
ICA=Inmate Casey Anthony
W=Witness
DT=Defense Team

• JA discusses that witness works at Oakridge lab, but isn’t here as agent of them, isn’t being paid by them, is part of private practice…you’re on vacation and we’re paying you expert witness fee
    JA: what is your position?
    W: senior research scientist
    JA: how long?
    W: 4-5 out of 19 full years working there
    JA goes over degrees…Bachelor’s in Biology and Master’s in Administration of justice for forensic science…and then worked for U of Tennessee in microbiology doing solely research…discussing unique facility’s actual name, but it’s commonly known as the Body Farm…
    JA: and you wanted to get a PhD in forensic anthro?
    W: yes b/c I wanted a PhD to go along with my Master’s…U of Tennessee had forensic anthro dept. so went with that
    JA: so you didn’t get into this field to become professional witness?
    W: NO I did not (laughs)
    …
  • JA: did you become interested in particular aspect of Forensic Anthropolgy (FA)
    W: yes b/c I realized it was lacking in postmortem interval interval ID’s so I wanted to study that
    JA: were there lots of FA’s approaching this from a bio-chemical perspective?
    W: most were morphological at that time…I think I was one of first to bring in biochemical
  • JA establishes this guy studied this stuff for a long time and very intricately…looking at soil solution…ten yrs spent looking at chemical determination of PM interval…has developed formulas…methods…re: PM interval stuff…lots of peer-reviewed stuff…in early 2000’s started looking at other areas of forensic anthro, such as location of clandestine graves (b/c anthros can’t do job if we can’t find remains)…goes over previous methods of looking for clandestine graves (soil densitity, radar, dogs, etc.)…
  • W isn’t expert at those other methods, though…thought looking at clandestine graves would be productive to try to understand cadaver dogs can do what they do, which is odor analysis…they devised technique to ID chemical signature of stuff coming up from clandestine graves was and develop procedure…
    JA: how
    W: we used 4 subjects…morphologically different…buried them in various depths…put gas collection piping system surrounding body and surface of soil to monitor how all the decomp spreads around down there
  • JA asks about collection procedures
    W: ports at tips of tubings, collected w/absorbent material inside piping…activated carbon like in fish aquarium…air withdrawn through absorbent traps, then traps taken to lab and looked at…triplesorbant (?) trap was adapted from other uses and has been used for years…study about this was 4 yr longitudinal…varied times of collection due to soft tissue disintegration patterns

JA: and that was to see how it would change over time?
    W: exactly
    JA: did you get ready to publish on initial findings?
    JA: when you publish?
    W: 2003-4…was inclusive in terms of chemical signatures and their classes and looking at environmental factors
    JA: did that end your research?
    W: yes…continued into 2006…monitoring original sites…also expanded to look at other stuff….like surface decomp not just anaerobic under the ground conditions…that was all done w/ traps…done at body farm and some control sites and the gross crematorium that didn’t cremate people just left them out back and they looked at the composite chemical profiles…6 or so people part of that test…longitudinal study…and these aerobic bodies decompose faster than anaerobic…tested more than with original bodies b/c decomp so fast…
  • JA: did you publish again?
    W: yes 2008
    JA: did you see anyone studying what you were studying? W: Yes, some Greek person whose name I’m sorry I can’t pronounce…2005 article
    JA: did you quote that article in your 2008 article?
    W: referenced
    JA: have you found the findings of that study and compared to yours?
    JA: similar to you?
    W: yes, traps too, only major diff was specific time slices…like just a few samples…not longitudinal…that article were similar in terms of compounds detected…
    JA: significant difference?
    W: same classes of compounds were same yes
  • JA: 2008 article and previous article of yours peer reviewed by big deal awesome journal?
    W: yes to both
    They discuss what peer reviewed is and how it’s evaluated…
  • JA: is it common for some articles to have some sort of revisions?
    W: I’ve never had one that hasn’t come back for something…even minor things
    JA: any w/major from first version of your article?
    JA: any dispute w/your findings registered in scientific community?
    W: not that I know about
    JA: and Greek paper…that one criticized?
    W: not that I know of
    JA: your 2008...same thing…peer reviewed no big revisions or objections, etc.
  • JA on to this case in 2008…this was W’s first time using this on actual crime case…called by Yuri Melich, who said he had some “odor issues” (chuckle) with a car and wanted you to know if W could find out source of odor…W agreed…can’t remember any directions or instructions about methods of collecting material, but knows it showed up in the way he would have instructed, so it’s possible…sealed can…airtight, etc…first test was actually done by colleague who is an analytical chemist…W explains process (getting air in syringe and putting in instrument GCMS which is used for all the studies)…and result was some very small peaks then some very large peaks, which we subsequently identified as Chloroform
End of Part One

3/24/11 Dr. Arpad Vass, SA’s Odor Expert, Part Two

Taken from Raw video
ICA=Inmate Casey Anthony
W=Witness
DT=Defense Team

• JA: what was your reaction seeing that result?
    W: surprise
    JA: and had he [colleague] done anything to concentrate the sample for that run?
    JB objects move to strike testifying for other person
    HHJP: JA?
    JA and HHJP discuss, JA disagrees but understand ruling, objection sustained
    JA: you were surprised why?
    W: I’ve never seen chloroform be the largest peak in anything I’ve ever ran at 20 years at lab…hundreds maybe even thousands of samples…never seen chloroform like that
    JA: what did you do?
    W: thought we would concentrate sample to see if there was something else
    JA goes over technique and is generally accepted process for concentration…carpet removed and put into Tevlar bag so they could ensure gases coming from carpet itself…blah blah blah…then used special port in bag and put in machine
    JA asks clarifying about what “off-gassing” is…which is basically that if you put something in an airtight place then take the gasses from it you can pretty much bet the gasses came from the thing in the bag

And that is to isolate that whatever they were testing was coming off the actual carpet, not just from something that had been around the carpet…air in bag includes room air, which they took into account as a control issue
  • Result of new concentrated test still had big peak of chloroform…and 51 compounds…
    JA: did you try to determine if those 51 compounds came from another source?
    (my sound cuts out to static for a while…technical difficulties please stand by…)
  • And we come back to JA saying, “And what about the Squirrel…why’d you test a squirrel?” :floorlaugh:
    W: I can’t recall where I heard that a ran-over squirrel may have contributed to the odor in the car…I don’t remember where I heard…possibly the media…it was interesting scientifically, so we looked into it, and let a dead squirrel decompose on a piece of carpet…then we examined it and it’s gross…and analyzed that carpet, and result was there was not characteristic signature of other analyzed decomp
  • JA: did you use some laser induced breakdown spectroscopy (we’re calling it LIBS) or something, too?
    W: yes…b/c we wanted to use as much as possible of a non-destructive technique…LIBS allowed us to look at carpet’s elemental profile as well as other control carpets…got dr. Martin from somewhere to help…

…they did do some chemical extractions of carpet…also got sample of paper towel…they had very large amounts of fly pupae on them and he was asked to look at chemicals that would attract fly pupae…he noticed stains visually and chemically they found stains were characteristic of adipocere (grave wax) series of fatty acids to other kinds of acids that I can’t spell and saturated and unsaturated stuff
  • JA: is compounds that make up adipocere peer-reviewed?
    W: yes, Canadian woman scientist talks about it and published stuff, etc.
    JA: based on what you found on paper towels, is that what inspired you to do that kind of analysis on carpet?
    JA: And you found?
    W: some kind of volatile fatty acid I can’t spell…isoputeric acid ?...ID’d back in 1990’s of key decomp product of human fat and muscle…appears very early in decomp process, followed by other kinds of acid
    JA: is that all based on peer-reviewed journal publications?
  • JA: then you used pattern analysis?
    JA: and you compared your stuff to peer-reviewed and then discussed that in report?
  • JA: back to chloroform, were the peaks in second test high?
    W: dominant peak, yeah
    JA: and were you able to compare that one to the bunch you’ve seen before…is chloroform found in human decomp?
    JA: is your opinion that this particular case the chloroform could have been caused by human decomp?
    W: yes because of quantification (known concentration used as basis on instruments)
    JA: did you do that in this case?
    W: couldn’t even get a precise amount of chloroform from case sample b/c our known sample wasn’t anywhere near enough to compare to the huge peak from trunk sample…
    W discusses processes, etc….my report shows comparisons between two samples…
  • W: in the trunk material, it was 10,000 times greater than what we would expect (chloroform in trunk vs. normal amounts of chloroform from human decomp)
    JA asks about witness’s experience smelling human decomp in various stages…hundreds…gross…W says human decomp has a unique odor…has also studied some limited sets of animal decomp…deer, pig, dog, and now the squirrel;)…used as comparison method vs human decomp…dog and deer were road kill…gross he picks up roadkill…heh…W and his nose have had lots of experience and can tell the difference between human and animal decomp…it’s unique like a skunk…if you’ve smelled a skunk, you don’t need to see skunk again later in life to recognize the smell of one…
  • JA: you smell common household garbage ever?
    W: absolutely [as well as] swamps, bogs, marshes, septic tanks, cisterns, landfills, and not one has ever smelled like human decomp
  • JA: What was your reaction when you opened up the thing w/carpet from trunk?
    W: jumped back two feet (laugh)
    [shot of ICA showing facial response that in my experience indicates feeling offense, irritation, disgust, and disdain :cow:]

W continues: It smelled to me of Human Decomposition.

JA all done
  • JB up for cross
    JB: Dr. Vass, you’re not an analytical chemist with a phd in chemistry
    JB: in your report you signed report as a research scientist
    JB: your aforementioned colleague (Wise?) is also a research scientist
    W: well…he’s considered that as well, yes…
    JB: you describe him as analytical chemist
    W: I think that’s his job title…you’d have to ask him
    JB: he’s not here
    W: what his division denotes as his job title I don’t know
    JB: you put down Dr. Martin as a Physicist, right?
    W: I think that is what she calls herself, yes
    JB: and research scientist is fairly vague, isn’t it?
    W: intentionally so b/c I work on a lot of things
    JB: let’s look at your CV…what did you put down as your PhD?
    W: dissertation time since death determinations on human cadavers
    JB: you don’t actually indicate what you got your PhD in, do you?
    W: no that seems like an oversight
    JB: you weren’t being intentionally vague there? Like in your report?
    HHJP: relevance?
    JB: JA said it first
    HHJP: I’ll allow
    W: repeat questions
    JB: were you being intentionally vague in CV?
  • JB: do you represent yourself of as a biochemist?
    W: I study that but I don’t… represent myself as such
    JB: do you have a facebook account?
    W: goodness no!
    JB: have you posted stuff on yourself on Wikipedia?
    JA: OBJECTION can we approach??
    HHJP: yes
    …
    JB: now this database (DB)…you developed a chemical DB…and you’ve refused to turn over the database to the defense in this case
    JA Objection relevance can we approach?
    HHJP: yes…
End of Part Two

3/24/11 Dr. Arpad Vass, SA’s Odor Expert, Part Three

Taken from Raw video
ICA=Inmate Casey Anthony
W=Witness
DT=Defense Team

• HHJP: sustained rephrase
    JB: the DB has not been turned over to the defense in this case…are you aware of that?
    JB: and the reason you understand is b/c it belongs to the company that paid for the research
    W: the sponsor, yes
    JB: so there’s no way to look at your DB and test its validity, is there?
    W: the publications are taken from the DB…the conclusions were based on the peer reviewed articles, not the entire DB
    JB: but entire DB is lots and lots of chemicals, right?
    W: I didn’t claim…my conclusions weren’t based on all 478 compounds, just the ones ID’d in those publications…those top 30
    JB: but to accurately verify, you’d need all of it, right?
    W: depends on what you want to verify
  • JB: if you were trying to verify another scientist’s work, you’d want all of his information, right?
    W: it would really depend…my conclusions weren’t bsed on the entire DB…weather patterns, barometric pressure issues…
    JB: did you understand my questions, sir?
    JA: Objection! Witness hasn’t finished answering…
    HHJP: sustained and finish answer
    W: I’m sorry what was question?
    Court reporter reads
    W: again I think all the info needed to verify the stuff in this report is in the publications
    JB: you aren’t answering my question…if you were verifying another scientist’s report you would want all of their information (like, ALL of it? You wanna know what color toothbrush they have and their favorite color of drapes, too?)
    W: well I would assume that the relevant info was in their peer-reviewed publications
    JB: you would ask for full disclosure, would you not?
    W: repeats above
    JB: you would want all of the bench notes
    JA: object asked and answered
    HHJP: it was a run-in on last question make it separate
    JB: you would want bench notes
    W: no I don’t ask for those
    JB: you would want bench procedures?
    W: they would be listed in peer-reviewed article
    JB: my question doesn’t take into account peer-reviewed article, I’m asking if you were trying to verify a scientist’s work would you want all the information?
    JA: objection is counsel asking about case work or research work…I think witness is confused
    HHJP: you understand question?
    W: not sure not really
    JB: judge, I’m gonna object to Mr. Ashton speaking objections where he’s actually coaching the witness.
    HHJP: Mr Baez, Mr Baez, he’s not coaching, he made an objection, I asked for clarification, witness does not understand your question, move on to another question.
  • JB: so when you verify another scientist’s work, either in peer-review articles or in actual comparative analysis, partial disclosure is acceptable to you?
    W: I’m not sure what partial disclosure means.
    JB: that means all the info
    W: if I have enough info to replicate the experiment based on peer reviewed article, that’s all I require
    JB: so partial disclosure is all right with you?
    W: I don’t understand what partial disclosure means
    JB: not getting all the info
    W: that’s a very vague question b/c there’s a significant amount of info that might not be relevant to replicating
    JB: so partial disclosure is acceptable?
    W: if amount of info is enough to replicate and that’s considered partial disclosure then yes
    JB: how would you know that if you didn’t have all the info?
    W: replicate
  • JB: so w/all your DB info you want to make handheld thing to find clandestine graves (CG) yeah?
    W: yes…that’s a different funding agency, but yes…
    JB: that’s call Labrador, right?
    JA objection to relevance
    JB: he has used the DB in both studies
    HHJP: relevancy?!?
    JB: financial interest
    HHJP: that goes to some form of impeachment
    JB: (stutters)
    HHJP: and the reason I ask that is …aren’t we in a Frye hearing?
    JB: yes and part of Frye is financial interest
    HHJP: I’ll allow
    JB: this Labrador is still in trial stages, yeah?
    W: there’s only one
    JB: and it hasn’t been validated?
    HHJP: Mr. Baez, you said this was financial interest
    JB: I’m getting there
    HHJP: get there
    JB: the goal of Labrador is to attempt to sell to LE agencies this handheld device to find clandestine graves, yeah?
    W: the goal isn’t to Sell it, it’s to make it available to them
    JB: for a price
    W: they aren’t gonna be buying directly from me
    JB: and you have a patent on this thing
    W: the lab has filed for one yes
    JB: and you get royalties for patent, yeah?
    W: in certain circumstances yes
    JB: “So you would stand to earn money if your sniffer machine is validated in a court of law?”
    W: there’s no guarantee anyone will actually buy it
    JB: if you are involved in a high-profile case…
    (JA objects then apologizes and lets JB finish question)
    …in which you DB has been validated, it would be much more beneficial to Labrador program so you could sell your device and sit back and collect on your patent.
    JA objects assumes conclusion of future fact
    HHJP: overruled if he understands question
    W: I don’t
    JB: if your Labrador gets validated in a court of law, that will make the selling of the product, “the sniffer machine” a lot easier, right?
    W: yeah it’s possible I suppose and it wasn’t used on this case
    JB: I didn’t ask you that…And if your Labrador sells you stand to benefit financially as a result
    W: I’d say the licenser will stand to gain
    JB: and also the royalty holder, which is you, will also gain?
    W: I don’t know the patent arrangements are…royalty fees are simply from the licensee to the technology…if they sell I don’t even know if we get royalties from that
  • JB: are you aware that you get 15% royalties on this specific product?
    W: yes if a licensee comes in and that’s split between the inventors
    JB: and if every agency buys this device, you stand to make lots of money, yeah?
    W: I guess, but that’s not the goal.
    JB: and you would also get financial gain in terms of the lab, yeah?
    W: you’d have to ask the patent lawyers about that
    JB: are you aware if the lab will benefit financially?
    W: I don’t know their financial arrangements and don’t care
    JB: a high-profile case is pretty good advertising for a product like this isn’t it?
    JA: objection asked and answered!
  • JB: you have your CV…you applied for the patent back in …
    JA objection relevance
    JB financial interest
    HHJP you’ve established that
    JB credibility then
    HHJP you’ve established that w/other
    JB I want to establish more as to credibility
    HHJP: you have done enough…is Frye hearing…he has financial interest and lab might too so let’s get to the science
  • JB can we approach
    HHJP: yes
  • JB gets visual aide for SA to look at then puts it on easel and JA helps school him in admitting it and HHJP says he can’t read it far away and IMO is funny…they manage to admit it
  • JB: what is your definition of some terms…error rate=% of unexpected results?
    W: it is qualified to measurement type analysis
    JB: would you like to expand on this def or expand on it?
    JA objects he just did that
    JB now wants W to come down and write out definition changes on the pre-printed chart
    JA objects relevance
    HHJP: overruled right now
    W goes on down to chart…expands definition of error rate and the rest of the definitions on the chart…add to them/amend/change/whatever to fit W’s definition of same terms…they all chat and laugh about it…HHJP reminds them it’s a question/answer format and court reporter has to type everything…W has to kneel on floor to finish…
  • W sits back down in witness area…Baez reads back some of his definitions and asks clarification questions…asks W if he’s “trying to confuse us”…W says no and admits he’s “totally frazzled” by this…Baez continues reading all W’s definitions…
  • JB: now b/c your study can’t be looked at by another party, you can’t exactly give us error rates for your DB of decomp stuff, can you?
    W: in…for the peer-reviewed publications, which is based on DB, we’re looking for presence or absence of particular compound…error rate doesn’t apply to such a comparison
    JB: I’m not asking you about peer-reviewed publications, so if you could stop…
    [Someone’s cell phone rings (again???)]
    HHJP calls for recess
End of Part Three

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads