Former Member
Reaction score
pedobearfrontimage.jpg

Pedobear

Link

"Pedobear" Stars In Convicted Sex Offender's Ad
Internet meme used to promote computer firm

cpdistribut.jpg

...The bear pictured, though, is no ordinary mammal. It is actually “Pedobear,” an Internet meme that is shorthand for pedophiles, perverts, child molesters, child *advertiser censored* aficionados, etc. Pedobear, of course, is positioned next to the oversized letters “CP”--the acronym for child *advertiser censored*.

The advertisement, it appears, was an inside joke by whomever designed it for America’s Favorite Coupon Book, which distributes monthly coupon books in various Florida counties.

The owners of CP Distributor, though, are not laughing. Especially since one of the firm’s principals, records show, happens to be a convicted sex offender who spent seven years in prison for sexually assaulting a child under the age of 12....

...Along with the firm’s North Combee Road address and phone number, the coupon book ad includes a second Lakeland address for CP Distributor. That Hendricks Road location is the home of Dicks and his sister and brother-in-law. It is also the address at which Dicks has registered with the Florida Department of Law Enforcement, which maintains the state’s sex offender registry....

This raises an interesting question. Did the woman who made the ad know there was a child sex offender working there?

Was it a subtle message? What did the message mean? Maybe she was just effing with him and saying I know who you are and where you live. :waitasec:

:eek: I've never heard of pedobear.
Yuck.

Neither had I. It must be some kind of communications tool for pedophiles. Just a guess. :waitasec:

I've seen pedobear around for years - he's mostly a way for people to make fun of people who trawl for kids online (or people who are creepy or guys who date younger girls, etc). Perhaps not the most sensitive of things, but it is a joke meme for the most part - though I'm not sure exactly how he started.

Link

Origin

The character of Pedobear popular on 4Chan originally comes from the popular 2Chan character, Safety Bear....

kumasafety1.jpg

While many people on WS might be disgusted by pedobear, I am not - he's actually a subversive way for young net people to ostracize the pedophile community online by satirizing their use of cartoon figures in luring and grooming. In way, he often becomes a way for people to discuss the presence of such trawlers in a meme - meaning it sticks and spreads and communicates very easily.

Is the reality of pedophilia funny? No. But I see no harm in people using a bad joke as a way to address something that is a constant reality of online community life.

Just my :twocents:

While many people on WS might be disgusted by pedobear, I am not - he's actually a subversive way for young net people to ostracize the pedophile community online by satirizing their use of cartoon figures in luring and grooming. In way, he often becomes a way for people to discuss the presence of such trawlers in a meme - meaning it sticks and spreads and communicates very easily.

Is the reality of pedophilia funny? No. But I see no harm in people using a bad joke as a way to address something that is a constant reality of online community life.

Just my :twocents:

I think that article cinches it. The woman knew the meme and was trying to warn those who understood the meaning. JMO

I think that article cinches it. The woman knew the meme and was trying to warn those who understood the meaning. JMO

That's an awful lot of work to go to, researching out all the RSO and forming their ads, etc. Yet, it can't possibly be a coincidence, could it? Unless that town has so many RSOs, it was like shooting fish in a barrel.

I think it is possible the ad makers didn't know about the RSO history and just plugged in pedobear because of the "CP" use... which makes me wonder why on earth they used "CP" as their company handle, knowing the history of one of the owners...?

(Makes me wonder what secondary industries they are running out of their computer company and who they are trying to reach on the QT.)

That's an awful lot of work to go to, researching out all the RSO and forming their ads, etc. Yet, it can't possibly be a coincidence, could it? Unless that town has so many RSOs, it was like shooting fish in a barrel.

I think it is possible the ad makers didn't know about the RSO history and just plugged in pedobear because of the "CP" use... which makes me wonder why on earth they used "CP" as their company handle, knowing the history of one of the owners...?

(Makes me wonder what secondary industries they are running out of their computer company and who they are trying to reach on the QT.)

She may have some connection to the victim. JMO

My first thought was that this company might be signalling that they can wipe your computer of...whatever it needs to be wiped of so you don't land in jail. That is what I would have thought if I saw that ad irl.

My first thought was that this company might be signalling that they can wipe your computer of...whatever it needs to be wiped of so you don't land in jail. That is what I would have thought if I saw that ad irl.

The company didn't design the ad. A woman working for the coupon company did.

The company didn't design the ad. A woman working for the coupon company did.

I realize that is what they are saying, but I was just hmmmming over the message she was actually putting across to people/me and wondering if she meant to. Maybe she was just being "funny," I don't know.

The fact they wouldn't name the employee makes me wonder if it's a relative or possibly the victim. :waitasec:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back