GUILTY FL - Fede Datilus for raping, impregnating 9yo girl, Lantana, 2009

Missizzy

Reaction score
How heartbreaking. A little girl comes to a new country and should be enjoying school, friends and fun activities. Instead she's raped and delivers an infant at age 10. Stolen innocence.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/c...or-impregnating-1345999.html?cxtype=ynews_rss

Lantana [FL] man gets life in prison for impregnating girl, 9

"Fede Datilus, 33, was convicted and sentenced on Wednesday to life in prison plus 5 years for impregnating a 9-year-old girl, according to Palm Beach County State Attorney Michael McAuliffe.

The trial evidence showed that Datilus sexually battered and impregnated the victim when the two were living in Lantana. The victim carried the baby to term and delivered the infant when she was 10, prosecutors said. The victim's father learned of her pregnancy when he took her to a clinic on March 18, 2009. She reluctantly identified Datilus as the man who impregnated her during questioning by investigators and counselors through a Creole translator, according to court records...."

and

".... She had been in the U.S. for only 2 1/2 years and told a counselor she feared being returned to Haiti if she revealed what happened to her..."

more at link

SICK! Glad he's going away for a very long time.. forever. I'm also saddened the 10 yr old delivered the baby...

I just read this on the PB Post! I am happy to he will be gone for along time!

I wonder if she and the baby are alright, and if they placed the baby up for adoption.

Poor child.

It sounds to me as if she was living with friends or family and that when her father learned of the abuse, he got her help. If her family is supportive and had no hand in the abuse, she'll stay with them. If there's a need to place her in state care, every state has certified homes for mothers and infants were are both minors.

It's actually a very fulfilling type of foster care. I know I would have enjoyed it, if we hadn't chosen to specialize in working with children with mental health and developmental disabilities. I've known a number of foster parents that have done this and even one adoptive family. You essentially get the opportunity to allow the young mother to regain some of her childhood while still learning the essentials of parenting. An immense amount of mentoring is required.

You know, I've often wondered if a child has the legal right to relinquish her child to the state. It's a binding contract and children cannot enter into contracts. It's an enigma as children do have the right to seek an abortion, in many states without parental consent. I'll have to research that and check back in.

ETA: It looks like different states treat these cases very differently. I just sent an email to a caseworker who handles relinquishments and when I hear back, I'll post.

What a complete & utter nightmare for this little girl!!!!

What kind of person does this sort of thing? I know that we read about injustice all the time, but really!?

Did this, um... "man"... Datilus Fede... really feel like a man by exerting this type of control over a scared little girl by threatening her that if she told she'd be sent back to Haiti!?

Angel girl probably didn't know up from down or right from wrong...

But she knew scared... :-(

My prayers for a normal life going forward for this child.

I know in MI, children that are mothers are allowed to enter into binding contracts with regards to the child. It's basically partial emancipation. It used to be that once a child became a mother, it was automatic full emancipation in reference to all matters of medical care, educational decisions, and custody, unless a parent could prove a good reason to object. Now, it only relates to issues of custody of their own child. There were too many 14, 15, 16 year old girls being hit with medical bills and dropping out of school.

Is"pregnant at 16, mother at 17" a good enough reference? LOL.

In regards to this case, I hope that she was allowed to remain with her family, and the chances are that she was and will be allowed to. Her parents immediately sought treatment and it does not seem that she was blamed for being a victim (as we all too often read about here). I can't believe that there is a doctor out there that wouldn't have gone for a medically mandated abortion or immediate delivery considering her age, but it seems her body was able to tolerate the condition.

The fear that she would have been deported for telling of the rape has to be something that the sicko planted in her head. Just one more example of a predator using a child's greatest fear to ensure the child's silence.

As some of you know, our family once parented a child from Haiti (for two years). I've dealt with a number of families with adopted Haitian children over the years. The ones who were older when they came over were literally terrified of being returned. In fact it seemed to be a source of great anxiety for them. Another interesting thing I noticed which is surely a stereotype, but worth noting, is that the Haitian children were slim and slender. It is beyond me how a slender 10 year old could carry a child to term. Heartbreaking. Little children's bodies were not intended to support a pregnancy.

NMK--I noticed a number of states that have automatic emancipation upon parenthood. In some ways that makes sense as they are going to be making medical decisions for those children. But just thinking about it for a moment really gives me pause. Couldn't a young woman come back and say that she didn't understand her rights later on--years after a child had been placed for adoption? How many 16 year olds, let alone 10 year olds, can truly understand the lifelong impact of their choices?

Might not be pertinent at all in this case but I'm always curious about these things. I'm very hopeful that this little girl has appropriate support and guidance and love.

I heard from my friend at DHS today, but keep in mind this is Oregon. She said that minors do relinquish children all the time but there must be full support from the court. She had not heard of a case involving such a young child, though, and felt that a team meeting would be held with all those concerned for the child's and the infant's welfare, and a decision made which would be presented to a judge. If this young girl chose to relinquish her infant, I would hope that the adopting family would maintain a semi open relationship with her, if that's what the girl wanted. To me, I just see so many pitfalls. Who actually knows what they want at age 10 and this is one of the few things that simply can't be undone.

My heart is aching for these babies (and yes, I consider them both babies). I didn't even think it was possible to get PG at 9 years old. I am so incredibly sad for what this little girl went through. To imagine not only being raped and abused, but being scared to death about the growing life inside you. It's times like this I wish I could turn back time and make sure that monster never had a chance to touch her.

I sincerely hope he rots in prison. Slow and painfully.

Mel

Anyone who's not actively parenting daughters, might be interested in reading up about how menstruation is occurring at younger and younger ages. In years past, anywhere from 9-16 was considered normal. That's been shortened by almost two years now, within the course of only a hundred years. There are a number of theories--better nutrition, the use of chemicals in our foods and discarded estrogen in the environment.

And probably not pertinent to this case at all but children who suffer from Fetal Alcohol Syndrome and prenatal drug exposure are at risk of extremely early onset of menses or Precocious Puberty--sometimes as early as the toddler years. Size is also a factor. Smaller females typically start menstruation a bit earlier than larger ones. Isn't that strange as you'd think Mother Nature would protect little girls? And a small percentage of young girls will actually ovulate before their first period. I've always cringed when I read that as you just know that pedophiles bank on premenarchal girls not getting pregnant. There's still a good number of people who have no clue as to why girls are so commonly raped at age 7, 8 and 9. I have no doubt that Mr. Datilus was surprised.

Our little girls are so precious and must be protected.

Anyone who's not actively parenting daughters, might be interested in reading up about how menstruation is occurring at younger and younger ages. In years past, anywhere from 9-16 was considered normal. That's been shortened by almost two years now, within the course of only a hundred years. There are a number of theories--better nutrition, the use of chemicals in our foods and discarded estrogen in the environment.

And probably not pertinent to this case at all but children who suffer from Fetal Alcohol Syndrome and prenatal drug exposure are at risk of extremely early onset of menses or Precocious Puberty--sometimes as early as the toddler years. Size is also a factor. Smaller females typically start menstruation a bit earlier than larger ones. Isn't that strange as you'd think Mother Nature would protect little girls? And a small percentage of young girls will actually ovulate before their first period. I've always cringed when I read that as you just know that pedophiles bank on premenarchal girls not getting pregnant. There's still a good number of people who have no clue as to why girls are so commonly raped at age 7, 8 and 9. I have no doubt that Mr. Datilus was surprised.

Our little girls are so precious and must be protected.

You know I respect you MissIzzy, but I think this is Mother Nature's way of protecting the species. She just sees it differently than we do. The earlier a child can breed, the more offspring she can produce. From a biological standpoint, it makes perfect sense. From a human standpoint, it seems cruel and unsafe. JMO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jemabogado
Back