1249 users online (199 members and 1050 guests)  

Websleuths News

belimom is offline Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter ~MLK Jr

FL - Beauty Queen Killed Intruder, Wants Cash for Picture with Pink Pistol

This disturbs me. Not that she wants money for posing with her gun, but that she wants money posing with her gun that she used to kill someone with. Regardless of an intruder or criminal or whatever, I still don't think taking another life should be exploited, kwim? I don't know if 'exploited' is the right word here, but it just rubs me the wrong way...

Pistol-Packin' Beauty Queen Looks to Cash In on Home Invasion Shooting

The Florida beauty queen who gunned down a home intruder with her pink .38-caliber handgun is looking to capitalize on the deadly shooting, demanding at least $1,500 for a racy photo of herself posing with the weapon.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/03/22...sion-shooting/
    Last edited by belimom; 03-24-2011 at 04:11 PM.
    Fly high and free, Jhessye ~

My posts are meant to help think through possibilities and are strictly an additional opinion under circumstances when many points of view need to be considered. I apologize in advance to anyone whose potential involvement is contemplated in error. Please understand that much of what is happening is merely brainstorming during unfortunate events.

Enough said...

that's horrible and classless

Quote Originally Posted by belimom View Post
    This disturbs me. Not that she wants money for posing with her gun, but that she wants money posing with her gun that she used to kill someone with. Regardless of an intruder or criminal or whatever, I still don't think taking another life should be exploited, kwim? I don't know if 'exploited' is the right word here, but it just rubs me the wrong way...
    I absolutely agree. I certainly think people have a right to defend themselves, but killing a human being in self-defense should still be a cause for sorrow, not celebration.

I've got mixed feelings about this. I don't see why killing someone in self defense should be a cause for sorrow, necessarily. I mean, if someone saves another person from a bad guy, they're considered a hero to be celebrated. She did save her husband and most probably herself, so I can see her being celebrated as a heroine. And I can see her basking in the celebrity and exploiting it, if she loves attention and money.
    Still, you expect the heroine, herself, to realize the seriousness of what she had to do and not exult in it. She seems very shallow and vain, and I can't help but wonder whether she got that gun thinking 'Must save my husband' or thinking "Oh, goody! I get to use my pink gun!"

Quote Originally Posted by belimom View Post
    Exploited is the right word in my eyes. I truly don't know how a person could feel so proud about killing another person.
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

Quote Originally Posted by STEADFAST View Post
    I've got mixed feelings about this. I don't see why killing someone in self defense should be a cause for sorrow, necessarily. I mean, if someone saves another person from a bad guy, they're considered a hero to be celebrated. She did save her husband and most probably herself, so I can see her being celebrated as a heroine. And I can see her basking in the celebrity and exploiting it, if she loves attention and money.
    Still, you expect the heroine, herself, to realize the seriousness of what she had to do and not exult in it. She seems very shallow and vain, and I can't help but wonder whether she got that gun thinking 'Must save my husband' or thinking "Oh, goody! I get to use my pink gun!"
    I think we can celebrate that she and her husband were saved at the same time we regret a human being lost his life in the process.

To me, I feel the same way about our many wars. I see no contradiction in regretting the loss of life while simultaneously respecting and appreciating our servicemen and women. But I'd rather they not use weapons to kill people and then pose for erotica with those weapons.

I've read some stuff that this may not be as simple as it looks...will try to find the link, but it is possible she knew the intruder, or had some dealings with him, which may not be quite so heroic, if true...

http://gawker.com/#!5785396/beauty-q...ake-some-money

link
    Just my opinion, of course.

It "feels" wrong, doesn't it?

I always try to give people grace, so just stretching in that direction: Maybe she has copyrighted her image, since she is a beauty queen? It seems someone took a picture with a cell phone and is using it without her ok------maybe that made her mad?

Truly, I hope this woman is not as mercenary as she is being made out to be, because what a terrible life she has to look forward to if she IS.

I'm glad she was able to use personal protection and I'm not really that broken up about the death of a criminal who commits home invasions and may have potentially killed someone while committing his crimes. Call me callous, but not all those who are alive are as good for our society as a whole as others. Should she capitalize on it? Well, it's quite a story now, pink gun, hot chick, bad guy. If a news source wants to make money on her story, then why shouldn't they have to pay for the pics? The news media outlets pay for pictures all the time - people sometimes die tragically yet the media "exploits" the horrible tragedy when it is "newsworthy"...meaning people will watch. She has the right to cash in just as much as the main stream media outlets, Michael Moore or anyone else that uses a human interest story, however tragic it might seem or whether or not lives have been lost.

The boyfriend released the picture. She said in the Fox news article " Brown said Thursday she was "not happy" to see the photo posted free of charge, and said her fiance was not authorized to distribute it without her knowledge.
    "He's a fiance. He's not my manager," she said."

Fox news needs to clarify what she said about wanting money for the pic. In the beginning of the article it says "demanding at least $1,500 for a racy photo of herself posing with the weapon." Further down it says "Brown demanded money for the steamy photo, asking FoxNews.com to pay $1,500 to keep it online." http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/03/22...sion-shooting/ I'll bet Fox news made a lot more than $1,500 with the hits to their page after posting it. $1,500 is not a lot of money to ask for Fox news posting her pic. Why didn't Fox news report that this nut who invaded her home spent 10 years in prison for trying to kill a cop in Sarasota? Or that the whole thing was caught on tape or that he was released from jail 3 days before this home invasion on a felony theft charge from Manatee County FL. http://pibillwarner.wordpress.com/ There is also a full pic of her posing with the pink gun. You see a heck of a lot more skin at any of the local beaches in that area than you see in the pic. I never saw a article that she was out celebrating because she killed the man. I did see this "a deliveryman who had been to the home was canvassing the place and working with Hill." http://www.tampabay.com/news/publics...e-home/1158689 The pink gun was a gift from her boyfriend she did not purchase it. She had a choice of using it or watching her boyfriend being brutally beaten and possibly killed and if that happened she would have been next. Fox news spun this story. Young woman, older wealthy boyfriend, pink gun, sexy picture now wants money. I respect everyone's opinion here and am sorry if I have offended anyone. If this young woman makes a few bucks or gets a few modeling jobs I could care less. She did not ask for this to happen to her and I personally feel she saved the state of Fl a lot of money in the long run.

that's just creepy, imo
    This is all my opinion, which is subject to change with more information, if the wind changes direction, or if I wake up in a different mood...

Quote Originally Posted by ziggy View Post
    I'm glad she was able to use personal protection and I'm not really that broken up about the death of a criminal who commits home invasions and may have potentially killed someone while committing his crimes. Call me callous, but not all those who are alive are as good for our society as a whole as others. Should she capitalize on it? Well, it's quite a story now, pink gun, hot chick, bad guy. If a news source wants to make money on her story, then why shouldn't they have to pay for the pics? The news media outlets pay for pictures all the time - people sometimes die tragically yet the media "exploits" the horrible tragedy when it is "newsworthy"...meaning people will watch. She has the right to cash in just as much as the main stream media outlets, Michael Moore or anyone else that uses a human interest story, however tragic it might seem or whether or not lives have been lost.
    Nobody who knows you would call you callous, my friend.

And I agree she has the right to sell her pictures. I thought we were talking about good and bad taste.

Well... however tasteless, she is a Beauty Queen which comes very close to modeling. I'll just bet there's an organization *cough cough* that would be glad for a new poster girl. mo