New Lawyer appears - Debra Ferwerda

faefrost

Reaction score
Murder docket update:

03/25/2011 Notice of Appearance Debra Ferwerda, Esq for Dominic Casey

Any idea who she is appearing for? She is a fairly young defense attorney. Looks like mainly private practice DUI and Family Law with some light felony stuff. She did do a stint with the Orange County SAO.

http://www.jmcflaw.com/ferwerda.htm
:websleuther:

I thought I had read here that DCs old lawyer was on tv (In Session or HLN I guess) and said as far as she knew DC did not have anything more to do with this case or something. Which I found odd and unsettling. Perhaps she was wrong...I would hope he would be called as a witness for the State.

ETA: Well, look where she worked in the 90's: "After graduation, she joined the Orange County State Attorney's Office."

Well, well, well!!! I thought Dominic Casey didn't need a lawyer anymore! How interesting that he has another one! Very interesting as I didn't think the SA or DT was going to use him as a witness!

Any idea who she is appearing for? She is a fairly young defense attorney. Looks like mainly private practice DUI and Family Law with some light felony stuff. She did do a stint with the Orange County SAO.

http://www.jmcflaw.com/ferwerda.htm
:websleuther:

Okay, so what does this look like to you. The parallel investigation or does this have to do with his upcoming testimony in court?

Ughh:

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com...4_1_tim-hyer-sexual-performance-arrest-report

"An Altamonte Springs couple is awaiting trial on charges the husband and wife sexually abused a preteen girl and made a video of it.

Paul Crowley, 39, and his wife, Virginia, 32, have been in jail since Nov. 26, when they were arrested.

Debra Ferwerda, Paul Crowley's attorney, said the matter is still under investigation."

ETA: I guess they "finished investigating it."

"Paul and Virginia Crowley pleaded no contest Wednesday to six sex crimes each. In exchange, they were ordered to prison for 25 years."

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/crime/florida-husband-wife-each-get-25-years-for-650258.html

Okay, so what does this look like to you. The parallel investigation or does this have to do with his upcoming testimony in court?

What upcoming testimony? I thought he wasn't listed as a witness for the defense or the state?

But if it were the parallel investigation it wouldn't be on her murder docket, would it?

Well, well, well!!! I thought Dominic Casey didn't need a lawyer anymore! How interesting that he has another one! Very interesting as I didn't think the SA or DT was going to use him as a witness!

Yes, I did a double take at that news bulletin also. Something must be up unless this is just wishful thinking on Dom's part and he hopes he is more important than he is to this case - or else he has reconsidered his previous testimony?? Hmmm.

Yes, I did a double take at that news bulletin also. Something must be up unless this is just wishful thinking on Dom's part and he hopes he is more important than he is to this case - or else he has reconsidered his previous testimony?? Hmmm.

At the end of yesterday's hearing, didn't JA mumble something about two new witnesses.....NOT the psychiatrists, but two other people added to the list. Maybe DC was one of them....My eyes, ears and mind was fried yesterday at the end...but I swear it was something when they were all having the pow-wow at the end.

As far as I know, he still remains on the State's witness list, but is not on the defense list. Seems like Baez would like to stay as far away from Dom as possible. He wouldn't put him on his witness list and as a result could not be present when the State did their investigative interview of Dom. We have never seen this interview, so have no idea what he might testify to.

Yeah, I am pretty sure the state is going to use DC as a witness. It's just because JB has elected to not depose him or add him to the defense witness list we have not seen the states interviews with him. His testimony could be one of the big surprises in all of this. And you know he has to be operating under some sort of use immunity deal or plea arrangement. At the very least to escape perjury charges for some of his claims at deposition.

Yeah, I am pretty sure the state is going to use DC as a witness. It's just because JB has elected to not depose him or add him to the defense witness list we have not seen the states interviews with him. His testimony could be one of the big surprises in all of this. And you know he has to be operating under some sort of use immunity deal or plea arrangement. At the very least to escape perjury charges for some of his claims at deposition.

That makes perfect sense. I guess JB doesn't want to :worms:

So he is on the state list...I guess that's why his new lawyer had to make herself known. I could swear though, I don't know if was speculation on our part, or because Diana Tennis stepped down, that he either wasn't important to the murder case or wasn't going to testify at trial. I think it was because of Tennis saying he no longer needed an attorney, so we speculated that he might be on the state's list as a just in case they need him type of witness, but not actually one integral to the murder case, at least.

Dangit, this is making me really want to see his investigative interview!!!! Darn the defense for not wanting to depose him! And it's making me wonder what caused him to need an attorney again - could it be the tampering investigation? And because he's a listed as a witness in the murder trial, she had to put in that notice?

DC has been on the State's witness list for a long time now and as others have pointed out, the State did an investigative interview with DC and the defense could not be present because they refused to put him on their own witness list.

I don't think the State ever had a reason NOT to use DC as a witness. The mere fact that he was out there in those woods searching for a deceased Caylee (slashing through black trash bags) is reason enough to call him. It's an added bonus that it is all on video tape because I am sure the jury is going to be disgusted watching this man, who works for the Anthony family, trampling, poking, proding and being completely careless in his search for this poor baby.

I won't get into all the emails between DC, Luke, and Ginette... but there is enough evidence in those emails to make a jury doubt the story Dominic gave to LE about his reasons for being out there.

Another reason I think he may have hurried up and got another lawyer was because Jeremy Lyons knocked at his door. He did just get another 300 investigative hours.

DC has been on the State's witness list for a long time now and as others have pointed out, the State did an investigative interview with DC and the defense could not be present because they refused to put him on their own witness list.

I don't think the State ever had a reason NOT to use DC as a witness. The mere fact that he was out there in those woods searching for a deceased Caylee (slashing through black trash bags) is reason enough to call him. It's an added bonus that it is all on video tape because I am sure the jury is going to be disgusted watching this man, who works for the Anthony family, trampling, poking, proding and being completely careless in his search for this poor baby.

I won't get into all the emails between DC, Luke, and Ginette... but there is enough evidence in those emails to make a jury doubt the story Dominic gave to LE about his reasons for being out there.

Another reason I think he may have hurried up and got another lawyer was because Jeremy Lyons knocked at his door. He did just get another 300 investigative hours.

But IIRC, there was a huge, huge issue at the time about if DC was an employee of JB or CA and GA or KC, etc. That, if I recall, was the issue of whether any of his testimony could be used. If you go back and read his deposition with the SAO, they go off record on a very touchy subject. So, maybe that opened up the tampering investigation? Maybe that is complete and DC will indeed be called at trial?

At the end of yesterday's hearing, didn't JA mumble something about two new witnesses.....NOT the psychiatrists, but two other people added to the list. Maybe DC was one of them....My eyes, ears and mind was fried yesterday at the end...but I swear it was something when they were all having the pow-wow at the end.

One I know for sure is the prosecutor of Maya D. I noticed that wasn't brought up by the defense to JP when asked what witnesses.

But IIRC, there was a huge, huge issue at the time about if DC was an employee of JB or CA and GA or KC, etc. That, if I recall, was the issue of whether any of his testimony could be used. If you go back and read his deposition with the SAO, they go off record on a very touchy subject. So, maybe that opened up the tampering investigation? Maybe that is complete and DC will indeed be called at trial?

Anyone can correct me if I am wrong... but the way I understood it was...

DC began working for JB and the defense... so anything that was said between the time he started working for JB and the time he terminated his services to the defense... would be work product and it would be attorney/client privilege.

Once the termination of his services to the defense of Casey Anthony were final... there was no such thing as work product or any kind of privilege. Even with Casey Anthony. DC said in his interview with LE that he had not even spoken to Casey since September of 2008 and it wouldn't matter anyways. Once he was no longer a part of the defense... he had no privilege with Casey Anthony because Private Investigator/Client privilege does not exist.

So as far as I understand... anything from October 2008 (I believe this is when he terminated his services to the defense) to now... is allowed to be answered by Dominic Casey without any claim of client privilege.

I also want to add... had DC been working for Brad Conway (Mark Nejame) on behalf of the Anthony's... I believe it would then be considered work product... but that is not what happened.

I also want to add... had DC been working for Brad Conway (Mark Nejame) on behalf of the Anthony's... I believe it would then be considered work product... but that is not what happened.

Yes, I think you are quite correct about that LolaMoon08 because JB spent quite a while trying to weasel out of DC doing any testifying at all for quite a while before the actual contract was made clear. And weren't we all excited and eager to hear what DC could tell us - sigh.....

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back