1095 users online (177 members and 918 guests)  

Websleuths News

FL - Robert Tuttle, armed with an ax, forces mother to watch movies

An angry young man, an ax, a sword...it never seems to change. This young man is 22. Is this a descent into mental illness? Thank goodness the mother had the good sense and level head to extricate herself. Even though this is listed under "weird news", it could have ended so tragically.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42274912...ws-weird_news/

Robert Tuttle took an ax, gave his mother ... movie night?

Charlotte County [FL] Sheriff's deputies arrested 22-year-old Robert Tuttle on Thursday for allegedly attacking his 60-year-old mother with an ax, threatening to kill her, and forcing her to stay in his bedroom and watch movies with him for several hours.

Tuttle's mother called police at 10 a.m. saying she had escaped from her son's bedroom, where she had been held against her will.
    According to his mother, Tuttle had been drinking and became aggressive, destroying items in the house with an ax before threatening to kill her and himself if she called police. The mother says Tuttle swung the ax at her but she stepped back to avoid it. It was then that he forced her into his bedroom and made her stay for several hours and watch movies while he held the ax....

more at link

This is not a healthy looking young man:

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article...s-mom-captive-

His Amazon wish list might give one pause too. There's the typical beer brewing equipment and beakers (?), speakers, and coffee grinder, but there's also a gun safe and a hone-sharpening system. I guess he wanted to keep his ax sharp.

I'm very pleased that this woman made it out alive. Tuttle needs more than a three day hold, IMO.
    Last edited by Missizzy; 03-25-2011 at 11:16 PM.

I agree what he did was HORRIBLY wrong...and my immediate thought was "what an (unusual person), lock him up & throw away the key". Until I came across his Facebook page.
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...655643&sk=wall

The more I read his wall postings, the worse I felt for him. He was obviously- desperately- trying to get people to just 'talk' to him. I have a few family members who suffer from depression, and it's a terrible thing to witness.
    His last status update says: *me N my mom r hanging out watching movies n Drinking haha sweet its pretty cool♥* (the day before his arrest).
    I truly hope he gets the help he's been begging for. :/

That is just sad. I hope he gets the help he needs.

I agree the young man needs help. But I'm also concerned about where he will go if he is released. Based on similar incidents with other disturbed young people, I'd consider him volatile and extremely dangerous. His mother was fortunate to escape this time. I hope the poor woman won't fool herself into believing that he's learned his lesson or that life will be different if he returns home.

WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK

Depression gives no one an excuse to try to inflict harm on others. Taking a look at his photo, one can tell that he may have some issues with meth (by looking a his sunken features, sores on his face, and the fact that it looks like he hasn't bathed in a while). Meth makes people crazy. There is counseling in jail, and that's probably where he belongs for a little while until he calms down. Then he can go get treatment.

Super sad. Prayers for him and his family.
    I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death!

Sadly, there is no counseling or therapy nor usually any anti-depressants in jail or prison. I've had three special needs sons with mental illness do stints in jail and one did a year in state prison. They were not allowed to continue their meds and they received no mental health services at all. One didn't even get to continue his court ordered special education. He was entitled to services through his 21st birthday, due to his developmental disabilities and mental illness and he was in jail for five months when he was 18 and yet still a Junior in HS. Budgets are so tight, everything is cut to the bare minimum. One of our sons got released the night he was arrested as he's a brittle diabetic and the jail couldn't accommodate his needs. Sadly, two of these three young men live on the street and rely on the ER and ICU for medical services and the missions for food. One is so violent and scary, he just gets moved around the state, from mission to mission, by sheriff's deputies.

The sad reality is that this young man will most likely get a 72 hour hold, be handed a bottle of meds, and given a follow up appt. or two at County Mental Health. What happens when those meds run out? Will he attend the therapy appt?

My heart hurts for both the mother and the son but I've been so let down by our system, all the while being a darned committed advocate for my children. It's a rough road.

O.K. now I feel bad. I feel bad for him and his family.

However, it appears it is his Birthday and people are messaging him, Happy Birthday. Maybe unfortunately this can get him some help and he can start over when ready.

Ya know life stinks sometimes. It really does. It hurts me to know there's so many more people out there like this guy right now.

BTW, I'd also suggest when he's getting help and I pray he does. Good help. Watching Resevoir Dogs may not be the best flick to cheer him up.

Quote Originally Posted by Laidbacksal View Post
    Depression gives no one an excuse to try to inflict harm on others. Taking a look at his photo, one can tell that he may have some issues with meth (by looking a his sunken features, sores on his face, and the fact that it looks like he hasn't bathed in a while). Meth makes people crazy. There is counseling in jail, and that's probably where he belongs for a little while until he calms down. Then he can go get treatment.
    I had the same thought - they say marijuana and drug paraphernalia, but they don't say what kind of paraphernalia. He told deputies he was upset that his father is in the hospital, and my first guess was that his father's not able to currently support the family and son might be experiencing meth withdrawals (no $ to buy it). Who knows...the whole scenario is really sad and this kid needs serious help!

Quote Originally Posted by Missizzy View Post
    Sadly, there is no counseling or therapy nor usually any anti-depressants in jail or prison. I've had three special needs sons with mental illness do stints in jail and one did a year in state prison. They were not allowed to continue their meds and they received no mental health services at all.
    The jails offers it where I live and they get their meds. I guess it's different everywhere you go.