1022 users online (187 members and 835 guests)  

Websleuths News

Talking Recorded calls keep inmates locked up

Link

Recorded calls keep inmates locked up
    By Susan Candiotti and Sally Garner, CNN
    March 26, 2011 8:09 a.m. EDT

...Persaud's lawyer objects to recording his client's calls. Generally, Maltz described many detainees as "fragile" and frightened, unable to stop themselves from reaching out to anyone they can by phone. Maltz maintains investigators have enough evidence without using the calls.

Kessler says his Domestic Violence Bureau won't stop mining jailhouse calls to bolster his cases. "I see the photos of these women with black eyes, and scars on their faces, in hospital beds as they're basically shot, burned, sometimes run over -- and that's what drives us."

BBM

One more paragraph from the article;

...In Queens, it appears to be working. Until last year, the district attorney's office was dismissing about 70% of its cases. Now, in large part because of the recordings, the dismissal rate is down to 15%....

Last edited by KateB; 06-15-2015 at 09:21 PM. Reason: repair url tag.

Truthful Lies is offline "Life shrinks and expands in proportion to one's courage" ~ Ana´s Nin
    I read about this...I thought they would have been doing this a long time ago. Glad they're finally "catching up". =)
    Where is Jennifer Kesse? www.findjenniferkesse.com

Quote Originally Posted by Truthful Lies View Post
    I read about this...I thought they would have been doing this a long time ago. Glad they're finally "catching up". =)
    I would think it would be mandatory practice in any felony case to have somebody listen to all of the calls of a defendant before trial. JMO

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
    I would think it would be mandatory practice in any felony case to have somebody listen to all of the calls of a defendant before trial. JMO
    Add me to the people on the WTH list. We've had the technology to record phone calls for how long? I just assumed that we were already doing this. Crazy!
    I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it left.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuffy View Post
    Add me to the people on the WTH list. We've had the technology to record phone calls for how long? I just assumed that we were already doing this. Crazy!
    The KC Anthony case led me to believe that's what they did.

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
    The KC Anthony case led me to believe that's what they did.
    Exactly! Me too. I guess I just kind of thought it was SOP everywhere.
    I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it left.

I assume cost is an issue. Depending on the size of the facility, it may be quite expensive to pay someone to listen to all the phone calls.

What's scary is there is a group of people who think inmates should be allowed to have cell phones. What part of intimidating witnesses and running criminal empires from inside prison do these people not get?