Recorded calls keep inmates locked up

Steely Dan

Former Member
Reaction score
Link

Recorded calls keep inmates locked up
By Susan Candiotti and Sally Garner, CNN
March 26, 2011 8:09 a.m. EDT

...Persaud's lawyer objects to recording his client's calls. Generally, Maltz described many detainees as "fragile" and frightened, unable to stop themselves from reaching out to anyone they can by phone. Maltz maintains investigators have enough evidence without using the calls.

Kessler says his Domestic Violence Bureau won't stop mining jailhouse calls to bolster his cases. "I see the photos of these women with black eyes, and scars on their faces, in hospital beds as they're basically shot, burned, sometimes run over -- and that's what drives us."

BBM

:boohoo::loser:

One more paragraph from the article;

...In Queens, it appears to be working. Until last year, the district attorney's office was dismissing about 70% of its cases. Now, in large part because of the recordings, the dismissal rate is down to 15%....

:thumb:

[video=youtube;rX7wtNOkuHo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rX7wtNOkuHo&feature=related[/video]

I read about this...I thought they would have been doing this a long time ago. Glad they're finally "catching up". =)

I read about this...I thought they would have been doing this a long time ago. Glad they're finally "catching up". =)

I would think it would be mandatory practice in any felony case to have somebody listen to all of the calls of a defendant before trial. JMO

I would think it would be mandatory practice in any felony case to have somebody listen to all of the calls of a defendant before trial. JMO

Add me to the people on the WTH list. We've had the technology to record phone calls for how long? I just assumed that we were already doing this. Crazy!

Add me to the people on the WTH list. We've had the technology to record phone calls for how long? I just assumed that we were already doing this. Crazy!

The KC Anthony case led me to believe that's what they did.

I assume cost is an issue. Depending on the size of the facility, it may be quite expensive to pay someone to listen to all the phone calls.

What's scary is there is a group of people who think inmates should be allowed to have cell phones. What part of intimidating witnesses and running criminal empires from inside prison do these people not get?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back