Reporter locked in closet during fundraiser

Daisyjane

"All the clouds are clearing, and I think we're ov
Reaction score
Two questions:
1. Why did they invite him in the first place, if they did not want him to have access?

2. If he was locked in the closet, how was he able to 'stick his head out'?

The White House website proudly says ‘President Obama is committed to creating the most open and accessible administration in American history. ’But try telling Vice President Joe Biden’s staff that, after they held a local reporter in a closet for hours after he was invited to cover a Florida political fundraiser because they did not want him talking with the guests.

As the unaware $500-a-head invitees dined on caprese crostini with oven-dried mozzarella and basil, rosemary flatbread with grapes honey and gorgonzola cheese, grilled chicken Caesar and garden vegetable wraps, veteran reporter Scott Powers was locked away. The Orlando Sentinel reporter was ushered into the closet inside wealthy property developer Alan Ginsburg’s Winter Falls mansion, after being told that Joe Biden and Senator Bill Nelson had not yet arrived. They were due to speak to the audience to raise money for the 2012 elections. He was told he could only come out when the politicians were ready to give their speeches. Powers told The Drudge Report: ‘When I'd stick my head out, they'd say, “Not yet. We'll let you know when you can come out.”’ The party was being held for Democrat senator Bill Nelson. Powers emailed from inside the closet: 'sounds like a nice party' After 90 minutes he was allowed out to hear Biden and Nelson speak for 35 minutes, before being taken back to the closet for the remainder of the event.

Full article at http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1370371/Vice-President-Joe-Bidens-staff-lock-journalist-closet-stop-talking-guests.html

that is one of the weirdest things i've ever read.....

Two questions:
1. Why did they invite him in the first place, if they did not want him to have access?

2. If he was locked in the closet, how was he able to 'stick his head out'?

The White House website proudly says ‘President Obama is committed to creating the most open and accessible administration in American history. ’But try telling Vice President Joe Biden’s staff that, after they held a local reporter in a closet for hours after he was invited to cover a Florida political fundraiser because they did not want him talking with the guests.

As the unaware $500-a-head invitees dined on caprese crostini with oven-dried mozzarella and basil, rosemary flatbread with grapes honey and gorgonzola cheese, grilled chicken Caesar and garden vegetable wraps, veteran reporter Scott Powers was locked away. The Orlando Sentinel reporter was ushered into the closet inside wealthy property developer Alan Ginsburg’s Winter Falls mansion, after being told that Joe Biden and Senator Bill Nelson had not yet arrived. They were due to speak to the audience to raise money for the 2012 elections. He was told he could only come out when the politicians were ready to give their speeches. Powers told The Drudge Report: ‘When I'd stick my head out, they'd say, “Not yet. We'll let you know when you can come out.”’ The party was being held for Democrat senator Bill Nelson. Powers emailed from inside the closet: 'sounds like a nice party' After 90 minutes he was allowed out to hear Biden and Nelson speak for 35 minutes, before being taken back to the closet for the remainder of the event.

Full article at http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1370371/Vice-President-Joe-Bidens-staff-lock-journalist-closet-stop-talking-guests.html

1. They wanted him to report on the speeches given, but not hang out with the big shots.

2. The door to the closet wasn't locked, but there were people guarding it, not letting him leave.

Unacceptable behavior. IMO. Even members of the press should not be treated so inhumanely!

Reporters are, in general, friends to democracy, and, therefore, the enemy to the career politician (a notion contrary to democracy). I don't think this is a partisan thing - all parties have their moments of treating reporters like lepers; I think it is part of the environment. However, on the other hand, if I were paying $500 a plate, I wouldn't want to be bothered by journalists, either.

I am wondering how many closets there were, and if they had reporters stashed all around the place - and whether they could have had a room to put them in instead of a closet?

Bizarre story, if true, and doesn't seem quite legal to me, but gov't peeps do tend to forget minor things like laws and rights when in their best interests.

WTH? Was this like a hazing, or something? Strange, to me, that he cooperated.

WTH? Was this like a hazing, or something? Strange, to me, that he cooperated.

He didn't cooperate. The reporter was actually quite upset, and sent messages from his Blackberry while in there. (he wasn't able to get a cell phone signal.)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Starlight86
Back