Poisonous Snake Disappears from Bronx Zoo

KaylynnCouture

Reaction score
Officials have closed the Reptile House at New York's Bronx Zoo after a poisonous Egyptian cobra disappeared from an enclosure that's separate from the animal exhibits.

Zoo officials say the building was immediately closed and secured after staff learned that the adolescent snake was missing Friday afternoon.

The zoo released a statement Saturday saying it's confident the 20-inch-long snake is in an area of the building that's not accessible to the public. Snakes usually seek closed-in spaces and aren't comfortable in open areas.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/03/2...-forces-zoo-shut-reptile-house/#ixzz1HpU3I5Vj

Officials have closed the Reptile House at New York's Bronx Zoo after a poisonous Egyptian cobra disappeared from an enclosure that's separate from the animal exhibits.

Zoo officials say the building was immediately closed and secured after staff learned that the adolescent snake was missing Friday afternoon.

The zoo released a statement Saturday saying it's confident the 20-inch-long snake is in an area of the building that's not accessible to the public. Snakes usually seek closed-in spaces and aren't comfortable in open areas.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/03/2...-forces-zoo-shut-reptile-house/#ixzz1HpU3I5Vj

I just want to say one thing about this: aaaahhhhh!!!!!!!!
willy_nilly_th.gif

A couple of weeks ago, my 10-year-old accidentally left the top of his snake cage open after feeding him. He has a California king snake. Earlier that day, DH and I had a new mattress delivered for our bedroom and it was on the floor. We discovered that the snake (Steve) was missing at bedtime.

I anticipated a long, sleepless night...:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Luckily, DH found Steve pretty quickly. He was climbing up the back of my son's desk and into a drawer to snuggle down for the evening.

Can I just go on the record saying I'm the best boy mom in the world for allowing a snake in my home?

I hope the Bronx finds their missing asp!

A couple of weeks ago, my 10-year-old accidentally left the top of his snake cage open after feeding him. He has a California king snake. Earlier that day, DH and I had a new mattress delivered for our bedroom and it was on the floor. We discovered that the snake (Steve) was missing at bedtime.

I anticipated a long, sleepless night...:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Luckily, DH found Steve pretty quickly. He was climbing up the back of my son's desk and into a drawer to snuggle down for the evening.

Can I just go on the record saying I'm the best boy mom in the world for allowing a snake in my home?

I hope the Bronx finds their missing asp!

I am right there with ya, our first night of having our Mr. Snakey in our house, he got out, and it took 3 days to find him.... I found him scurrying out of a bathroom cupboard, as I was getting out of the shower. So me ( not having slept in 3 days lol) ran naked all the way out the front door screaming at poor DH. He started to get me a towel, but I quickly made him get mr. snakey instead. Thankfully no neighbors seemed to be awake that early :floorlaugh:

I really hope this poisonous snake really is inside, and not out roaming the streets :praying:

Snake still missing

Bronx Zoo staffers were waiting Sunday for an escaped poisonous Egyptian cobra to get hungry enough to come out of hiding.

Once it does, they will try to nab the wily reptile, the zoo's director said.

The zoo's Reptile House remained closed Sunday as staff searched for the 20-inch adolescent snake noticed missing Saturday.

"When the snake gets hungry or thirsty it will start to move around the building," the zoo's director, Jim Breheny, said in a statement. "Once that happens, it will be our best opportunity to recover it."

Snipped from http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local...en_found_as_staffers_wait_for_deadly_sna.html

OK I have to ask this but if it is outside the building would the cold temps harm it???

OK I have to ask this but if it is outside the building would the cold temps harm it???

While, I only know a little about snakes, I believe that they will find warmth, like around appliances (under the fridge, behind the washer etc.) or they can dig holes and go underground. I've heard stories of them being found in car engines...

Search Could Take Weeks

It could take weeks before a deadly runaway cobra is captured at New York's Bronx Zoo, officials tell FoxNews.com.

The months-old female Egyptian cobra -- whose venom is deadly -- continues to evade zoo workers after she escaped from an enclosure Friday inside the zoo's Reptile House.

For now, the 20-inch-long, pencil-thin cobra will remain in hiding until she "feels completely secure" enough to come out, according to zoo officials.

Snipped from http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/03/2...ronx-zoo-weeks-officials-say/?test=latestnews

It's okay, he's obviously making good use of his escape... saw on our local news that he is showing up on Twitter and already has over 30,000 followers LoL:

http://twitter.com/BronxZoosCobra

My favorite tweet so far:

Holding very still in the snake exhibit at the Museum of Natural History. This is gonna be hilarious!

I don't live anywhere near the Bronx zoo, but I do live in an apartment building. God knows what my fellow tenants keep as pets. I ALWAYS check the toilet bowl before taking a seat.

The tweet about Wall Street made me LMAO!

I hope they find him soon. He's bound to be hungry or thirsty soon!

While, I only know a little about snakes, I believe that they will find warmth, like around appliances (under the fridge, behind the washer etc.) or they can dig holes and go underground. I've heard stories of them being found in car engines...

I could be wrong, but I don't think most snakes dig holes. (No hands.)

Rather, they usually "adopt" the burrows of other animals. But your main point that snakes are cold-blooded and tend to burrow and wait out cold temperatures is correct.

I could be wrong, but I don't think most snakes dig holes. (No hands.)

Rather, they usually "adopt" the burrows of other animals. But your main point that snakes are cold-blooded and tend to burrow and wait out cold temperatures is correct.

Thank you for more insight, I thought they would dig their way with their mouths.... I KNOW snakes live in holes, lol, but I don't know how they get there. lol

Thank you for more insight, I thought they would dig their way with their mouths.... I KNOW snakes live in holes, lol, but I don't know how they get there. lol

You're very welcome. It's nice to know those yearly trips to the Miami Serpentarium as a kid didn't go to waste! (But for the record, I double checked several sites--since my last trip to the Serpentarium was 45 years ago. My memory was correct: snakes only use the holes of others; they can't dig.)

It's okay, he's obviously making good use of his escape... saw on our local news that he is showing up on Twitter and already has over 30,000 followers LoL:

http://twitter.com/BronxZoosCobra

My favorite tweet so far:

Holding very still in the snake exhibit at the Museum of Natural History. This is gonna be hilarious!

Yep, Elphaba that was funny! I am absolutely terrified of snakes, but I'm finding the Cobra's tweets hilarious....:floorlaugh::floorlaugh:

The Bronx Zoo Cobra Twitter page is now up to 110,000 followers. Crazy!

I know a lot of tracking dogs that once given the scent could track this killer down. Either that or set a couple of their mongooses (mongeese?) loose in the building to take care of the matter.

Edit: why did I say "killer" above. I totally meant "creature" but I guess it was a Freudian slip.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back