UNSOLVED KY - Pike Co., Skeletal Remains near Breaks Park & Russell Fork, Mar'11

nerosleuth

Reaction score
Skeletal remains found near a state park

Updated: 7:18 PM Mar 29, 2011

Witnesses say the remains were found in a remote area near the Breaks Interstate Park, a few miles from the Virginia state line.

Investigators say it appears to be an adult. Police are also trying to determine how the person got there.

Police say it could take several days to get answers.

If you have any information, call state police.

http://www.wkyt.com/wymtnews/headlines/Skeletal_remains_found_near_a_state_park_118875879.html

Fishermen Find Human Bones in Pike County, Ky.

Updated: 7:34 AM Mar 30, 2011

PIKE COUNTY, Ky. (WSAZ) -- A fishing trip for two friends led to a grim discovery of human remains.

The human remains were found along along the Russell Fork of the Big Sandy River in Pike County.

Investigators are looking at missing person reports and trying to determine who the person was.

The bones were found in a remote area near the Breaks Interstate Park -- a few miles from the Virginia border.

If you have any information, please contact Kentucky State Police.

http://www.wsaz.com/news/headlines/Fishermen_Find__118890679.html

I can think of a couple of females off the top of my head that are missing from that county in KY. Prayers for the family of whoever this was that was found.

I still don't see a profile for this person in NamUs or the Doe Network!

As the crow flies, I live 3 miles, maybe less from the Breaks Park. I cannot find anything on this other than what nero posted. Any one else? No article, no nothing....

I found a couple things regarding a woman in her 60's missing from Dickenson or Claiborne County, which is just SE of the Breaks park.
I also found a couple additional things (I think they're reprints/interpolations of the stories Nerosleuth posted) about the remains that were found near Breaks.

I'm wondering if these remains could have been identified as hers and it wasn't publicized.

I mean, there was a criminal case related to her (she was brutally assaulted within a year or so) in addition to her disappearance. That could have made the authorities want to keep quiet.

Plus, the stories I found related to her disappearance kind of stopped somewhere in 2011. So did the stories about the remains found...

Missing woman's family hopes for answers*
Appalachianforums.com
(originally from The Coalfield Progress 11/10/2010)
...Barbara Garnet O'Quinn's family organized a community meeting Thursday night at Clinchco. They hope someone might have seen or heard something that could help them find her.
Her family and police assigned to the case believe she was likely murdered and her body hidden or left in a remote area. They suspect the reason was to prevent her from identifying the person or persons who nearly beat her death on Sept. 5, 2009. They have not revealed a suspected motive for the beating, however.

No Luck In Search For Missing Woman
SuperTalk WFHV, (92.9-FM)
Bristol, VA
4/22/2011
Dickenson County, Virginia authorities had no luck in their search for a missing woman on Wednesday. The Virginia State Police dive team searched Flanagan Dam for 63 year old Barbara Garnett O'Quinn. She was last seen March 24th near Clinchco. The search was done after new information surfaced in the case.

There are also a few things that make me doubt this was her.
-I cannot find an obit for her. I figured would have existed if/once she were found (deceased).
-I cannot find anything related to her recovery alive or whether a culprit was found and went to trial over her beating.

I also saw that there was a discussion of the first story I linked to on Topix, which I know you should take with ½-grain of salt but can be amusing. A "friend" asks why nobody's found her in a 8/2015 post. Like I said, anybody can get on there and say something (useful or ignorant) and you don't know who's serious and who's not.
The "friend of the family" probably just hadn't heard the news, if there was any. The last post before that was, like the other stories, from 2011.

*The link to the original story won't work, so I could only read it on the link I provided.

I found a couple things regarding a woman in her 60's missing from Dickenson or Claiborne County, which is just SE of the Breaks park.
I also found a couple additional things (I think they're reprints/interpolations of the stories Nerosleuth posted) about the remains that were found near Breaks.

I'm wondering if these remains could have been identified as hers and it wasn't publicized.

I mean, there was a criminal case related to her (she was brutally assaulted within a year or so) in addition to her disappearance. That could have made the authorities want to keep quiet.

Plus, the stories I found related to her disappearance kind of stopped somewhere in 2011. So did the stories about the remains found...

Missing woman's family hopes for answers*
Appalachianforums.com
(originally from The Coalfield Progress 11/10/2010)

No Luck In Search For Missing Woman
SuperTalk WFHV, (92.9-FM)
Bristol, VA
4/22/2011

There are also a few things that make me doubt this was her.
-I cannot find an obit for her. I figured would have existed if/once she were found (deceased).
-I cannot find anything related to her recovery alive or whether a culprit was found and went to trial over her beating.

I also saw that there was a discussion of the first story I linked to on Topix, which I know you should take with ½-grain of salt but can be amusing. A "friend" asks why nobody's found her in a 8/2015 post. Like I said, anybody can get on there and say something (useful or ignorant) and you don't know who's serious and who's not.
The "friend of the family" probably just hadn't heard the news, if there was any. The last post before that was, like the other stories, from 2011.

*The link to the original story won't work, so I could only read it on the link I provided.

I still can't find an obit for her, nor any new articles......

I can't find her in NamUs :(

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back