Why no investigative reporters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

passionflower

Verified Insider
Reaction score
In the Natalie Holloway case, we saw Greta VS there.
Haleigh Cummings, Geraldo Rivera.
Mark Furman at Drew Peterson.
Nancy Grace people & Greta VS at Caylee Anthony.
Who is there for Hailey?
Anyone wonder why news teams are not camped outside the house like
in other cases?

Small town, crappy reporters that can't get jobs in the "real" market?

This is a great question and I've been wondering about this for a while as well! NOT a single investigative reporter has latched onto this case! I guess that there has to be someone in the local media instigating additional reporting and no one local seems to be up to the challenge.

moo

There is no such thing anymore, outside of the sensational ones who have TV shows. Look at Portland-they have certain reporters covering Kyron's case, but only on a spoon-fed basis. Nothing coming out due to the investigative skills of a reporter, that is for sure. I know that there is a certain agreement between media and LE, but when it is not working, i.e. when LE is not getting anywhere on a case...sometimes it would be a good thing for a reporter to get to work on their own. Sometimes people will relax and talk to a reporter, people who would never talk to LE.

I wouldn't necessarily call Nancy, Greta, or Geraldo investigative reporters. They have their own TV shows that focus on issues (usually crime) and unfortunately, they don't seem to have much interest in Hailey's case. To me, Nancy, Greta, and Geraldo are the national media, not investigative reporters so the real question is, "With the local media actively covering this case, why hasn't the national media given it more attention?"

I heard once, that the farther a case is from a major media market, the harder it is for the national media to cover the case; Colorado City is 4 and a half hours from Dallas. It's harder to get into these rural areas, and there aren't as many hotels for reporters to stay in, or the only hotels available are 2-star chain hotels. I also think that's a reason why we didn't see much national coverage of Taylor and Skyla, the two girls in Oklahoma who were shot and killed.

I could be mistaken but I think the only national coverage this case has gotten was NG in the beginning. There's been sensational developments since NG dropped the case, but she hasn't featured it again. Why? There doesn't seem to be one big case going on right now that would take up all of her episodes so I don't know why we haven't seen a new NG episode about the CP, etc.

LE has asked NG not to have them on the show maybe?

Maybe LE has limited the options with repsonce to media people when they call and seek to find out information on the case. They really cant shut out local media ,that would be to much. JMO.

BD insulted NG in one of her interviews and hasn't been asked back since then...Also, I think that NG probably "clued into" BD and decided that the case might be better of in local LE's hands.

: (

So much for the mother who wants to keep her baby's face in the media no matter what!

(I think NG read BD like the book that she is and BD just doesn't have the guts to go there!)

jmo

LE has asked NG not to have them on the show maybe?

Maybe LE has limited the options with repsonce to media people when they call and seek to find out information on the case. They really cant shut out local media ,that would be to much. JMO.

When a case is going on, media outlets sign up with LE for information. So LE will have a list with names of newspapers, TV shows, magazines, etc that are interested in reporting about the case. If LE is going to hold a press conference, they'll call up all the media outlets on the list and let them know about it. It makes it easier for LE and the media, because LE is able to know what media outlets are interested in the case, and which ones aren't. So let's say NG signed onto this list, but LE wants to keep the case local, they could just not contact NG when something new happened. And if NG has so many other cases around the country that they are on the list for, they may not put much effort into getting the information about Hailey's case on their own.

BD insulted NG in one of her interviews and hasn't been asked back since then...Also, I think that NG probably "clued into" BD and decided that the case might be better of in local LE's hands.

: (

So much for the mother who wants to keep her baby's face in the media no matter what!

(I think NG read BD like the book that she is and BD just doesn't have the guts to go there!)

jmo

BD insulting NG might explain why NG hasn't asked BD to be on the show again, but it wouldn't explain why she hasn't featured Hailey's case at all since that episode. She doesn't have to have BD on the show; she could have another family member or she could just talk about the case.

I've wondered why a case such as this, has not had more coverage.
Maybe they ran into a brick wall......
IMO

I agree. If i were one of those small town reporters,I would jump at the chance to cover Hailey's case. I want to hear the stories about Hailey. The tales of bd"s life. heck yea I'd jump on that story and hopefully break it wide open and move on to the big city markets. That's what i don't understand, why one of the local reporters don't try and make a name for themselves.

Ohh i want to play nice to bd, off the record of course. Ok I'm up for the job. Can we get some funds to put me up in the notel motel?

I agree. If i were one of those small town reporters,I would jump at the chance to cover Hailey's case. I want to hear the stories about Hailey. The tales of bd"s life. heck yea I'd jump on that story and hopefully break it wide open and move on to the big city markets. That's what i don't understand, why one of the local reporters don't try and make a name for themselves.

Ohh i want to play nice to bd, off the record of course. Ok I'm up for the job. Can we get some funds to put me up in the notel motel?

Do you meet the job qualifications:

Interest in CP/*advertiser censored*
Possible drug use
Ability to lie "a little bit"
Like sitting in the house watching TV
Married but living with someone else
Like horror films
Reading about True Crimes
and the list goes on and on

:crazy::great:

Yes, but if we pay for your hotel, will you also then want a van, money to pay your bills, gas money, food money..........:crazy:

Seriously though, I also don't understand why some local reporter isn't digging deep into this case and reporting every little detail....would love a cam pointing at BJD's house.

Sorry if this is inappropriate but this whole case is a "hair-Pulling" fiasco.

JMO:banghead:

being a reporter you are guided by an editor on what makes news and what to report. If the news outlet doesnt think HD case is in need of attention then it wont make news. Reporters are looking for ratings and thats about it. The days are gone where reporters were in the forefront of events. They cant just go investigate on their own.

Most reporters are just happy to have a job. Its not like the media is a booming business. That is one of the reason why my journalisim degree is pretty much worthless and I now work in accounting!

Fluff-N-Stuff is alll the "news" we get out here.

When a sale on cow patties actually merits a headline, you know you aren't exactly in a Pulitzer Prize-winning market. :(

This case needs a Kathy Belich in the worst way.

I would have been happy with simply better journalism. Investigative journalism involves some scrutiny and a level of depth into the topic under examination (almost asking too much considering the simple "reporting" I read). I would have settled for a couple of hardball questions directed at BJD, SA and others by MSM prior to the shutdown by their attorneys. MSM certainly had plenty of opportunity, and did not, IMO, deliver.

There are NO reporters period in CCity ! NONE !!! A small local radio station, a small paper that doesn't send out reporters.

I think the problem is that some journalists at least have decided that Billie is innocent of anything and because of that are totally unable to be objective and write about the case as they should do.

There may be much more than meets the eye here. IMHO
That is so untrue ! Most of the folks here in this community didn't even know BD/SA until all this came to light. And we wish we still didn't know of them and why they settled in our community ! Honestly most citizens hope they will leave this area ! there are about 4000 really nice West Texas farmers and ranchers in this county, and apparently about 25 bad seeds that have blown in !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member