WARNING:GRAPHIC PHOTOS Meredith Kercher murdered-Amanda Knox appeals conviction #9

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salem

Former Member
Reaction score
Please continue here. Please be mindful of TOS and don't let emotion get the better part of the discussion. Be sure your posts attacks the information and not the poster or posters in general.

Thread 1

Thread 2

Thread 3

Thread 4 - On hold.

Thread 5

Thread 6

Thread 7

Thread 8

Appeal is to be decided in May 2011.

Thanks,

Salem

In response to someone asking if Raffaele had ever been diagnosed with Asperger syndrome, no, I was not speaking clinically, I was pondering a response/personality type. Other than that, he was over-explaining.

I recently read somewhere that Mignini may have latched onto his theory regarding AK and RS all the more because he was trying to "save face" regarding being under indictment for his other theory. In any case, it is something to bear in mind, for surely Mignini is not immune to having his own motives scrutinized, even as he scrutinizes the motives of others.

My feelings about the appeal trial: Nothing new, and seems to be an avenue to uphold the original conviction, so I find this very disappointing, and also not very conducive to discussion. :(

very interesting...this house of cards has to come down...it has to...

otherwise I beleive that ANYone on ANY day of the week can walk into ANY police station or court in Italy and say some BS theroy about ANYone and have them idicted and prosecuted.

these folks should be playwrites, not law enforcement.

very interesting...this house of cards has to come down...it has to...

otherwise I beleive that ANYone on ANY day of the week can walk into ANY police station or court in Italy and say some BS theroy about ANYone and have them idicted and prosecuted.

these folks should be playwrites, not law enforcement.
That is what bothers me about the people who fly off the handle if you dare say anything against Mignini. The fact that he accused 20 people---some of them journalists and law enforcement officials - and then was humiliated by having the indictments thrown out, and himself being indicted and convicted, speaks volumes about why he leapt on his pet theory about RS and AK and just would not let go, like a dog with a bone. It is highly suspect, yet the appeals trial is saying nothing about this, not exploring it, so really does not seem to be getting to the crux of the matter, IMO.

Just taking not of some words from this piece, written way back at the time of the original controversy. But again, so much of what seems was really unfair and implicated AK and RS in the first place is now so much water under the bridge. To me, the appeal trial is presupposing and upholding things which should have had graver circumstances for the prosecution long ago: :(
The Lumumba statement was a Statement. She has quite obviously been told which answers to give and that there is no way out of that room except to provide the cops solution of the crime, which entails complying with their theory based on the text message sent to Patrick, that they simply cannot understand because the American phraseology escapes them. Her 'confession' was imaginary without doubt to get away from that horrible room and get to the toilet which she was denied. There are a lot of people in the world who have confessed to crimes that later DNA evidence proved they didn't do, and women have been known to pass motions when being cuffed around the ears in these interrogations.http://crimeshots.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9580

In fact, reading through the entire piece makes me think that the conviction ought to have been avoided, because the appeal does not seem to be addressing the vast injustices, really glaring, which set the whole thing in motion originally.

within that crimeshots piece, it is stated that a 3 person attack is "nonsensical", and that "the lone wolf theory is still a great option". But this was before conviction. Now the appeals trial focuses on things which the prosecution says are "nothing new", and they are confident the convictions will be upheld. So this is disheartening and empty to all who believe the original premise of accusing AK and RS is at the crux of the injustice....I believe the below should be true, but as Nova and others have pointed out re the news spin, is not anywhere close to a "done deal"

Amanda Knox Appeal: Prosecution's Case Begins To Crumble
March 26, 2011- The prosecution's case against Amanda Knox began to crumble today as their star witness against Knox gave confused and contradictory testimony. Antonio Curatolo- a homeless drug addict aged 54- gave conflicting dates and appeared confused while giving testimony in Perugia earlier today. Amanda Knox' team were more than pleased with the results. It was Curatolo's testimony at the original trial that helped convict Amanda and her ex-boyfriend Raffaele in December 2009. This time around he simply 'blew it' and even contradicted himself on the stand.

The DNA will be the topic of importance next month as testimony from the two new experts are due May 21 and will no doubt be in Amanda's favor. Today I believe was the beginning of the end for the prosecution's case against Amanda Knox- which was never more than weak to begin with. I do not think it is too soon to say that Amanda will win her appeal and will be set free by early Summer. Unfortunately, the years she has spent in prison are gone forever, but at least the correction of this grave injustice is at hand- Better late than never.
http://amandaknoxappealforum.blogspot.com/2011/03/amanda-knox-appeal-prosecutions-case.html

I believe that good sense will prevail and she will be free.
It is my understanding that winning an appeal or at least a lesser shorter sentence are common there.

remember we don't have to like Amanda and her simpering boyfriend to know that the charges are a fantasy.

Just taking not of some words from this piece, written way back at the time of the original controversy. But again, so much of what seems was really unfair and implicated AK and RS in the first place is now so much water under the bridge. To me, the appeal trial is presupposing and upholding things which should have had graver circumstances for the prosecution long ago: :(
The Lumumba statement was a Statement. She has quite obviously been told which answers to give and that there is no way out of that room except to provide the cops solution of the crime, which entails complying with their theory based on the text message sent to Patrick, that they simply cannot understand because the American phraseology escapes them. Her 'confession' was imaginary without doubt to get away from that horrible room and get to the toilet which she was denied. There are a lot of people in the world who have confessed to crimes that later DNA evidence proved they didn't do, and women have been known to pass motions when being cuffed around the ears in these interrogations.http://crimeshots.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9580

In fact, reading through the entire piece makes me think that the conviction ought to have been avoided, because the appeal does not seem to be addressing the vast injustices, really glaring, which set the whole thing in motion originally.

If I understand correctly, that first statement by AK was excluded by the Court. What the prosecution was allowed to use was the so-called "gift statement" written by AK herself the following morning.

Understandably, this is why some people have trouble seeing coercion. I think AK was not so much "confessing" anew as already working to recant her statement. (The gift statement is the one that says the events she describes "seem more unreal than real to me" -- which should have been a red flag to investigators to proceed with caution before they arrested an innocent man.)

It is my understanding that winning an appeal or at least a lesser shorter sentence are common there.

remember we don't have to like Amanda and her simpering boyfriend to know that the charges are a fantasy.

Was RS "simpering"? He seems like a ghost figure in all accounts of events and I have the hardest time getting a sense of him.

simpering? yes... I guess I was basing him on the movie LOL.

simpering? yes... I guess I was basing him on the movie LOL.

I wonder if he is painfully shy. In photos, he seems like a good-looking kid to me, so I wouldn't expect him to have trouble attracting women. Yet I believe I read his relationship with AK was his first "serious" (if brief) affair. (Of course, given the history of this case, maybe that was just something somebody said or wrote to "explain" AK's "mysterious hold" over him.)

In response to someone asking if Raffaele had ever been diagnosed with Asperger syndrome, no, I was not speaking clinically, I was pondering a response/personality type. Other than that, he was over-explaining.

I recently read somewhere that Mignini may have latched onto his theory regarding AK and RS all the more because he was trying to "save face" regarding being under indictment for his other theory. In any case, it is something to bear in mind, for surely Mignini is not immune to having his own motives scrutinized, even as he scrutinizes the motives of others.

My feelings about the appeal trial: Nothing new, and seems to be an avenue to uphold the original conviction, so I find this very disappointing, and also not very conducive to discussion. :(

That was me that asked that. Thank you for answering. So this was just a thought you were pondering, right? So there's no medical/educational/developmental/autism experts who have diagnosed him as such nor has any expert stated that he presents characteristics which would indicate Asperger syndrome, correct? So we really can't chalk that statement about "pricking" Meredith with a knife up to Asperger's syndrome with any degree of certainty or basis....good to note. Thanks.

In fact we don't have to like or dislike anyone to feel someone is guilty or not guilty of something. So, we don't have to NOT like AK and RS to feel the convictions were valid. IMO

That was me that asked that. Thank you for answering. So this was just a thought you were pondering, right? So there's no medical/educational/developmental/autism experts who have diagnosed him as such nor has any expert stated that he presents characteristics which would indicate Asperger syndrome, correct? So we really can't chalk that statement about "pricking" Meredith with a knife up to Asperger's syndrome with any degree of certainty or basis....good to note. Thanks.
Right, I was just speculating, and there is no clinical record of RS having any kind of Aspberger. I guess I brought that up because I had been reading something on Aspberger syndrome, and that it causes strange "over explaining" of things. I guess that story about "pricking Meredith" must indicate either : 1. He knew something more than he was telling or 2. He was so scared, that he said more than he needed to or should have. From all accounts, Meredith never visited RS's apartment.

You are absolutely correct. But in fairness to SMK, I thought it was clear in her original mention that s/he was merely speculating remote possibilities.

In fact we don't have to like or dislike anyone to feel someone is guilty or not guilty of something. So, we don't have to NOT like AK and RS to feel the convictions were valid. IMO

Also correct. I know there are other boards where posters seem to have fantasized personal relationships with the principals in this case, fantasies that seem to render them incapable of objective thought, but that doesn't appear to be true here. Neither with those who agree nor disagree with the verdicts.

Yes. That is true. One could really LIKE A and R and believe them guilty, or really DISlike them and yet believe fully in their innocence. That is why it is stupid (on other forums) to call people who believe in her innocence "Knox Groupies"---its just ridiculous.

Right, I was just speculating, and there is no clinical record of RS having any kind of Aspberger. I guess I brought that up because I had been reading something on Aspberger syndrome, and that it causes strange "over explaining" of things. I guess that story about "pricking Meredith" must indicate either : 1. He knew something more than he was telling or 2. He was so scared, that he said more than he needed to or should have. From all accounts, Meredith never visited RS's apartment.

This is merely my impression, but some who have trouble believing in coerced statements in this case seem to imagine police interrogations as conversations. They really aren't, particularly not once LE decides someone is a suspect (even an unofficial one).

I was reminded of this last night while watching a recent show on Jon-Benet Ramsey that showed clips of the interrogation of her parents. (Otherwise, the case has nothing to do with the events in Perugia.) By the time they sat down with LE, the Ramseys had been well coached by their high-powered and expensive legal team, and neither caved to pressure from their interrogators. But listening to the questioning (as in any case where tapes are available) should remind one of the multiple tactics used by interrogators.

People under interrogation are not only treated rudely and confrontationally in ways most haven't been treated since elementary school, they are faced with a variety of tactics including promises they will be released "if you can just clear up one more thing" and being told their memory can't be correct because of irrefutable "scientific" evidence. (None of this worked on the Ramseys, but as I said, they were well-coached and months had passed since the murder.)

Any inconsistency, even accidental, is treated as major evidence of deception, if not guilt. This must have been very difficult for someone as "flaky" as we've all noted AK to be, for someone as erratic with her use of language even in everyday writings.

Some have suggested that AK was treated with kid gloves until the night she was confronted with her text message to PL. But a change in attitude from interrogators may have been precisely what prompted her to make a false statement in just a couple of hours.

Yes. That is true. One could really LIKE A and R and believe them guilty, or really DISlike them and yet believe fully in their innocence. That is why it is stupid (on other forums) to call people who believe in her innocence "Knox Groupies"---its just ridiculous.

As I said above, I have almost no sense of RS. And I don't for a moment think I can know AK well enough through media accounts to form a like or dislike of her. Frankly, the same is true of the victim: I have yet to encounter anything but positive impressions of her; still they are second-hand to me and delivered only through the media.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snugglebear