Japan: 9.0 Earthquake-Tsunami-Nuclear Reactor Status #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

peeples

Reaction score
How in the world is this possible? Was the dog able to find water in the remains of the house? I don't think dogs or humans can go more than a few days without fresh water (and a dog wouldn't necessarily know not to drink sea water).

It looked in pretty good shape, too! Maybe puddles of rainwater?

It seems like it's been freaked out - see it ducking from the hands? And also, starving. Didn't even sniff first - just ate.

As for surviving, I'd say rainwater; there are lots of places rainwater could've been caught in that debris.

Most dogs won't drink saltwater, they don't like the taste...so it had to survive somehow. I hope this is a true story...and right now, I'm going to choose to think it is. A little light and hope in the gloominess that surrounds Japan right now.

Best-
Herding Cats

It seems like it's been freaked out - see it ducking from the hands? And also, starving. Didn't even sniff first - just ate.

As for surviving, I'd say rainwater; there are lots of places rainwater could've been caught in that debris.

Most dogs won't drink saltwater, they don't like the taste...so it had to survive somehow. I hope this is a true story...and right now, I'm going to choose to think it is. A little light and hope in the gloominess that surrounds Japan right now.

Best-
Herding Cats

I don't think the story is a hoax. We have the Japanese sailors on video.

The only other possibility I can think of is that somehow the debris was washed out to sea (along with the dog) only recently and not at the time of the original tsunami.

But I think rainwater collecting in pools is the best explanation. Since it isn't hot there yet, the dog might have been able to survive on very little water.

(BTW I know that dogs aren't stupid and wouldn't normally drink saltwater. But with humans, a kind of madness sets in after a few days and people dying of thirst often start drinking seawater anyway, even though they know better. Since they are also mammals, I assume something similar would happen with dogs, particular since they can't know that saltwater only makes dehydration worse.)

Fukushima 'much bigger than Chernobyl', says Russian nuclear activist

Quote: "Chernobyl was level seven and it had only one reactor and lasted only two weeks. We have now three weeks (at Fukushima) and we have four reactors which we know are in very dangerous situations," she said.

Japan's nuclear safety agency has maintained its rating of the Fukushima accident at four, while a French watchdog has upgraded it to six.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/fu...nuclear-activist/story-e6frf7jo-1226032387891

Quite an operation--

Intensive search for tsunami victims turns up 32 bodies

Quote: In the three-day search operation that will use dozens of ships and helicopters, about 18,000 SDF personnel and about 7,000 U.S. military personnel will be mobilized, with members of the Japanese police, the Japan Coast Guard and fire departments also taking part, according to the Defense Ministry.

The areas covered in the operation include shores that were largely submerged or remain under water and mouths of major rivers in Iwate, Miyagi and Fukushima prefectures.

http://english.kyodonews.jp/news/2011/04/82657.html

Fukushima 'much bigger than Chernobyl', says Russian nuclear activist

Quote: "Chernobyl was level seven and it had only one reactor and lasted only two weeks. We have now three weeks (at Fukushima) and we have four reactors which we know are in very dangerous situations," she said.

Japan's nuclear safety agency has maintained its rating of the Fukushima accident at four, while a French watchdog has upgraded it to six.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/fu...nuclear-activist/story-e6frf7jo-1226032387891

I don't think anyone here at WS thats been following this is surprised at this at all. Haven't we been saying this all along?

I don't think anyone here at WS thats been following this is surprised at this at all. Haven't we been saying this all along?

For some reason, this is the first I've seen the level 6 rating. I agree with that...

I'm going to stock up on powdered milk, iodine and iodine containing products this weekend.

If you would've told me two and a half weeks ago that I would make such a statement, I'd have told you you're insane...

Half-Life and Death: Radioactive Drinking Water Scare in Japan Subsides, but Questions Remain

Some radioactive contaminants could be filtered out or allowed to decay, whereas others would pose more serious long-term problems

Quote: Whether and how an isotope could and would be removed depends on which it is. Unlike drinking water contaminated with microbial pathogens such as Escherichia coli, giardia or cryptosporidium, water containing radioactive material cannot be made potable by boiling, bleach or exposure to ultraviolet light. Instead, isotopes must be removed using activated charcoal filtration, reverse osmosis or water softening, to name a few methods.

and

One difficulty with filtering out radioactive isotopes is that the filters and membranes would become radioactive waste that must then be disposed of carefully, says Rob Renner, executive director of the Water Research Foundation

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=fukushima-water-fallout

Hey, that's some good news! More research is necessary... I wish I had soft water!

Reverse Osmosis is a PITA!
We had to do that for some Discus fish we had and I don't even quite understood how it all worked, but we had cannisters in the basement and water holding tanks.. all kinds of stuff (it was my husbands thing not mine LOL)

Oh and I'm eating my last ribeye for probably a very long time, right now....

[video=dailymotion;xhx3qn]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xhx3qn_japon-l-equipe-de-greenpeace-effectue-des-mesures-de-radioactivite-autour-de-fukushima_news[/video]
Translating from French:

Greenpeace sent a team of experts in radiation protection into the area of ​​the plant in Fukushima. January Vande Putte, and his team are measuring on average 35 km from the plant, outside evacuation zone. The team confirmed levels of radiation of ten micro Sievert per hour in the village of Iitate, 40km northwest of central Fukushima / Daiichi and 20 km beyond the official evacuation zone. These levels are high enough to require evacuation. From a health standpoint, it is not harmless to remain in this area, especially for those "at risk" as children and pregnant women, who could receive in a few days the maximum annual dose of radiation .

Keep in min d when I say this, I'm just a regular poster. No real experience in anything...in fact, my degree is in criminal justice admin. So not a professional on any of this stuff.

In three sentences: In the attempt to avoid public panic, both the the Japanese and American leaders have done their countries a disservice if not caused direct harm. The Japanese authorities are talking out one side of their mouths to the people and the other side to their allies (Such as requesting 50,000 KI pills.). I think they know more about just how much of what has been released than they are telling us, and they already know that this has caused permanent damage to our food, water, commerce, genetics, and global economy. MOO.

As far as minimizing the effect on the food chain, I don't know. I think that a lot of the damage there has already been done. But protecting yourself...I would pay close attention to where the food you buy comes from and research it first. We already pump radiation in very small doses into some of our U.S. grown and raised foods, and those small amounts + these small amounts might equal some not so small amounts. Switching to powdered milk at least for a little while might not be a bad idea, and lowering radiation exposure from other sources might not be a bad idea, either. Use the stove instead of the microwave, set the cell phone on speaker and put it next to you instead of holding it to your head, waive the non-necessary medical procedures and step away from the gas pump when pumping. Just little stuff, that seems like the only thing we can do right now, is each alter our individual lifestyle in whatever ways we can that will help ourselves and our families.

BBM: Some excellent advice here, thank you! DH is using the "choose your poison" argument regarding powdered milk, saying he checked ingredients in the ones at food store and couldn't bring himself to buy all the chemicals. Any brand recommendations, or are they all the same pretty much?

Step away from gas pump and not using microwave are things I hadn't thought of and can easily reduce microwave. Toaster oven reheats just as well, sometimes better.

Onward and upward!

Pontoon to hold Japan nuke plant water

Excerpt:
THE operator of Japan's disaster-stricken nuclear power plant plans to use a huge steel floating structure to contain radioactive water it releases.

The pontoon-type structure which can hold a maximum of 18,000 tonnes of water will be handed over to Tokyo Electric Power Co (TEPCO) by its owner which has been using it as a floating park for anglers, officials said yesterday.

Called a "Mega-Float", it measures 136 metres long, 46 metres wide and three metres high and can hold up to 10,000 tonnes of water without sinking. It is owned by the Pacific coast city of Shimizu southwest of Tokyo.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/br...nuke-plant-water/story-e6frf7jx-1226032363891

I guess this is a little better than letting it dump straight into the ocean... but, I kind of don't trust it. I hope they know what they're doing.

This is the EPA's monitoring interactive map:
http://www.epa.gov/japan2011/rert/radnet-data-map.html

This is a site I check now and then-- I'm just watching for the warning levels of 100 CPM here:
http://radiationnetwork.com/

This site has a live stream of a Geiger counter in Santa Monica and daily averages:
http://www.enviroreporter.com/2011/03/enviroreporter-coms-radiation-station/

Where we are now?

We are at the point that radioactivity has circled the northern hemisphere. The disaster is ongoing and escalating-- heading toward meltdowns in three reactors. If the reactor cores hit the water table an enormous blast of steam will hit the atmosphere, and much more radiation than we've seen will be carried by the jetstream. JMO

Other than moving to the southern hemisphere, I am at the point of acceptance. I am not a survivalist, I am not going to tape myself into my home and never emerge. Our food and water is already radioactive. I am using iodine solution for my thyroid: a small circle on the abdomen will help keep the thyroid saturated so there's no room for the harmful radiation.

This link will keep you updated: http://english.kyodonews.jp/news/

I pray for, and mourn, the people of Japan. HTH

Thank you! All good suggestions. We can only hope the enormous blast of steam doesn't emerge.

Nuclear Fuel Pool Has NO WATER, RODS EXPOSED - Plutonium Could Become Volatile
[video=youtube;D6DZQzY_k2c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6DZQzY_k2c[/video]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members