1048 users online (192 members and 856 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    belimom is offline Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter ~MLK Jr

The 132-Pound Toddler

This breaks my heart and also makes me very angry... There doesn't seem to be a medical reason, really.

The 132-Pound Toddler

The Sun newspaper reported he is getting so big that his parents are frightened of him — and they claim the youngster throws vicious tantrums if they try to stop him from gorging on huge plates of ribs and rice. They claim that although they try to cut his meals, he has gained 21 pounds in the last year.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/slideshow/hea...#ixzz1IKTBS8ij
    Fly high and free, Jhessye ~

My posts are meant to help think through possibilities and are strictly an additional opinion under circumstances when many points of view need to be considered. I apologize in advance to anyone whose potential involvement is contemplated in error. Please understand that much of what is happening is merely brainstorming during unfortunate events.

Oh my gosh! How terribly sad.
    If there's hink....there must be stink.

Have they tested him for that disease, cannot remember the name, where children have uncontrollable appetites ? I have seen specials on it before and many of the kids have to live in institutional settings with other sufferers because it becomes a life and death struggle to keep them away from food. It is hard to believe he chooses to eat so much at such a young age.
    “Every day that they don’t find something is good for me.“ Billie Dunn

belimom is offline Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter ~MLK Jr
    They've tested him and can't find anything wrong. One doctor said he thought it was a brain tumor but the others say there's nothing at all. He was a preemie and at about 3 months started rapidly gaining weight. And has never stopped. From the article, it sounds like he started catching up weight-wise and his parents then just kept feeding him - a lot. And now when they stop, he cries. So they let him eat... One of the doctors even comments in the article that the parents need to say 'no'.

My posts are meant to help think through possibilities and are strictly an additional opinion under circumstances when many points of view need to be considered. I apologize in advance to anyone whose potential involvement is contemplated in error. Please understand that much of what is happening is merely brainstorming during unfortunate events.

I can't imagine it's just his eating... obese children that eat and eat are unfortunately common, this child is off the charts. May he get safely to an age of reason and control so his parent's can guide him.

I think you're thinking of Prader Willi(e) syndrome...

Quote Originally Posted by peeples View Post
    I think you're thinking of Prader Willi(e) syndrome...
    Could this be detected by checking hormone levels or not? I believe the article said that all of his hormones and labs were normal. Not sure what all they checked for, though. Hopefully with the publicity of MSM now, someone will reach out to the parents who may have more answers.

http://health.nytimes.com/health/gui.../overview.html

Signs of Prader-Willi syndrome may be seen at birth. Newborns with the condition are often small and very floppy. Male infants may have undescended testicles.

As the child grows older, laboratory tests may show signs related to morbid obesity, such as:

* Abnormal glucose tolerance
    * Above normal level of insulin in the blood
    * Excessive carbon dioxide levels
    * Failure to respond to luteinizing hormone releasing factor
    * Lack of oxygen supply

There may also be signs of right side heart failure and knee and hip problems.

Obesity represents the greatest problem to health. Limiting caloric intake will control the obesity but the family, neighbors, school, and other institutions must cooperate closely as the child will attempt to obtain food wherever possible. Exercise can increase lean body mass in children with Prader-Willi syndrome.

I was reading about this after a CSI episode
    and on one of the support group pages I was reading it seems like not all kids have the same symptoms and a lot of parents went through heck before finally getting a diagnosis at ages 3 and 4.
    The extreme tantrums seem to be a norm, but it's hard to tell what is and isn't controllable on the children's part because a lot of them have diminished mental capacity..

Here you go - good call, Peeps...

Meantime, some experts said the child has signs of Prader-Willi syndrome, a rare genetic disorder that's not very well known to the public or some in the medical field.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/china-t...3223400&page=2

Quote Originally Posted by belimom View Post
    Here you go - good call, Peeps...
    That is exactly what he reminded me of. I saw a special and one of the girls reminded me very much of this poor little boy. She threw tantrums too, even as a toddler, and they both obsess about food, and are never full. I bet this is
    what he will be diagnosed with.
    “Every day that they don’t find something is good for me.“ Billie Dunn

Very sad. Toddlers don't know how to fix ribs and rice.

Quote Originally Posted by belimom View Post
    This breaks my heart and also makes me very angry... There doesn't seem to be a medical reason, really.
    I bet he's got some sort of genetic disorder, like Prader-Willi syndrome or something of the sort.

Quote Originally Posted by grayjay View Post
    Very sad. Toddlers don't know how to fix ribs and rice.

I think he has idiots for parents and he should be removed from their custody

Nosy by Nature and a Websleuther by choice

If he does have Prader Willi Syndrome, his parents are not to blame.

There is interesting information, at that site. JMO but I don't think his condition is simply because his parents overfed him (although that is a contributing factor).

I hope he gets the medical help he needs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast