957 users online (189 members and 768 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Pictures: Trees Cocooned in Spider Webs After Flood

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...der-trees-webs

Here's a couple of pictures. There's a lot more at the link.

Trees shrouded in ghostly cocoons line the edges of a submerged farm field in the Pakistani village of Sindh, where 2010's massive floods drove millions of spiders into the trees to spin their webs.

Beginning last July, unprecedented monsoons dropped nearly ten years' worth of rainfall on Pakistan in one week, swelling the country's rivers. The water was slow to recede, creating vast pools of stagnant water across the countryside....

I don't want to be around when they decide to come back to the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post

Trees shrouded in ghostly cocoons line the edges of a submerged farm field in the Pakistani village of Sindh, where 2010's massive floods drove millions of spiders into the trees to spin their webs.

Beginning last July, unprecedented monsoons dropped nearly ten years' worth of rainfall on Pakistan in one week, swelling the country's rivers. The water was slow to recede, creating vast pools of stagnant water across the countryside....

OMG...my Freak A Meter is in total overdrive! I have never seen anything so grotesque in all my life. It is just unbelievable. I know it isn't the "green" thing to do or the environmental/earthy thing but I say bring back DDT and kill these buggers!
    Burn the candles, use the nice sheets, wear the fancy jewelry and lingerie. Don't save it for a special occasion, Every Day Is Special.

In My Humble Opinion and I Reserve
    The Right To Change It As Often As Neccessary.

Flamethrowers are more environmentally friendly.

Wowsa

SHUDDER
    Just seeing one Daddy Long Legs in the bathroom sends me screaming out the door for hubby.
    Save the Earth! It is the only planet with chocolate.

Do not ask the Lord to guide your footsteps, if you are not willing to move your feet.
    ~ Unknown

HAHAHA I just called my youngest daughter down to look at the pics. She hates spiders. I'm an evil Mom bwahahaha.

Seriously, I don't like spiders although I'm not afraid of them at all but I think I wouldn't be standing there under a bough for reals.

I'm surprised at the negative reaction against these pictures. I actually think these are really neat.

Besides, if there are pools of stagnant water around, these spiders will be essential to keep the populations of various flies down. Otherwise, who knows how much malaria would run rampant when the flies and mosquitoes in the pools start hatching.
    Last edited by WhyaDuck?; 04-03-2011 at 12:21 AM.

I think the photos are cool! I'v seen other ones like that taken in the rain forests before!

I don't LOVE spiders, my oldest son wants a tarantula though and we'll probably do that one day.. but i like that they eat bugs!!

Quote Originally Posted by WhyaDuck? View Post
    I'm surprised at the negative reaction against these pictures. I actually think these are really neat.

Besides, if there are pools of stagnant water around, these spiders will be essential to keep the populations of various flies down.

DDT the spiders and see how much malaria runs rampant when the flies and mosquitoes in the pools start hatching.
    Well see? That's why I'm not in charge of the wildlife.
    Burn the candles, use the nice sheets, wear the fancy jewelry and lingerie. Don't save it for a special occasion, Every Day Is Special.

Quote Originally Posted by peeples View Post
    I think the photos are cool! I'v seen other ones like that taken in the rain forests before!

I don't LOVE spiders, my oldest son wants a tarantula though and we'll probably do that one day.. but i like that they eat bugs!!
    Lots of tarantulas where I live, not in town but out in the country....scary!

I recall, growing up in Appalachia, large webs or clouds similar to this hanging from our trees. We used to burn them, no doubt damaging the trees, but I think the trees would have been damaged by the web sacs or what was in them. Anyone here know what these were??

Ah, found it: the Fall Webworm. Okay, this may win the prize for "Really-Gross-Things-You-Don't-Want-As-Part-of-Your Habitat." (Not a contest anyone really wants to win.)

http://oregonstate.edu/dept/nurspest/fall_webworm.htm

scroll down for images on the right. couldn't that next-to-last one turn your stomach? Okay, now imagine them writhing around when you burn them!

Uh-oh, my inner Appalachian child is showing.
    Last edited by tapu; 04-03-2011 at 11:15 AM.
    TAPU'S BLOG
    Murder in the Hills

Quote Originally Posted by tapu View Post
    I recall, growing up in Appalachia, large webs or clouds similar to this hanging from our trees. We used to burn them, no doubt damaging the trees, but I think the trees would have been damaged by the web sacs or what was in them. Anyone here know what these were??

Ah, found it: the Fall Webworm. Okay, this may win the prize for "Really-Gross-Things-You-Don't-Want-As-Part-of-Your Habitat." (Not a contest anyone really wants to win.)

http://oregonstate.edu/dept/nurspest/fall_webworm.htm

scroll down for images on the right. couldn't that next-to-last one turn your stomach? Okay, now imagine them writhing around when you burn them!

Uh-oh, my inner Appalachian child is showing.
    You found it right as I was about to tell you what they were, lol. My grandma taught me how to burn them when I was a child, too, and yes, they always writhed around and fell to the ground by the hundreds as we burned them. She often would soak a corn cob in kerosene and stick it on the end of a pole to do the job. Not sure why burning was so popular as Raid does the job, I am told. If they are low enough, it would have been better for the tree to cut the branch off first and toss them into a burning barrel.

Follow me on the Twitter! @EricDiesel1972

Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (KJV)

10 There shall not be found among you anyone who makes his son or his daughter pass through the fire, or one who practices witchcraft, or a soothsayer, or one who interprets omens, or a sorcerer, 11 or one who conjures spells, or a medium, or a spiritist, or one who calls up the dead. 12 For all who do these things are an abomination to the Lord. (KJV)

Follow me at my Biblical Blog: http://scripture-demystified.blogspot.com

Baruch ha Shem Adonai.

tapu, maybe they were tent worms.
    Bless the beasts and the children
    For in this world they have no voice,
    They have no choice.

Iíve gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, keep me here.
    كلي

That's really bad, 'kay? I be skeered of spiders. Grandpa used to say not to kill them cause they eat bugs. Never saw a decrease in bug population so I say kill them all. I just threw up in my mouth.

I remember seeing those tent worm things as a kid, but my folks never did anything about them, and they never seemed to do any harm. Of course, we lived in the woods, so perhaps my folks were more concerned about bears or something.

But, thanks - I never knew that some people burned them out.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast