A Reminder; You Own Your Words

Tricia

Manager Websleuths.com
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Hi EVeryone,

As we go forward with our Ramsey Rebuttal Project I want to remind you that you own your words.

With any luck this project will actually get some attention which means it will draw the money hungry eyes of Lin Wood.

I am protected by a federal law if someone posts something libelous on the forum. You are not.

Now, I also own my own words so if Wood is going to go after anyone it just might be me. Then again maybe not.

Here is the definition of Libel of a Public Person is:

To meet the Supreme Court's definition of libel involving a public figure, a quotation must not only be made up or materially altered. It must also defame the person quoted, and damage his or her reputation or livelihood … —Jane Gross, New York Times, 5 June 1993

It is relevant to note that in 1987 the suit against Ms. Malcolm was dismissed … in a narrow ruling that stated that even if the quotations were “false and mischievous,” Ms. Malcolm's alterations did not represent malicious intent and therefore did not constitute libel. —Fred W. Friendly, New York Times Book Review, 25 Feb. 1990

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/libel

We are dealing with public people so the bar is much higher to prove Libel. The plaintiff has to prove the person knowingly and maliciously made something up with the intent to harm their livelihood.

Still, I wanted to remind you all that you own your words.

Hi EVeryone,

As we go forward with our Ramsey Rebuttal Project I want to remind you that you own your words.

With any luck this project will actually get some attention which means it will draw the money hungry eyes of Lin Wood.

I am protected by a federal law if someone posts something libelous on the forum. You are not.

Now, I also own my own words so if Wood is going to go after anyone it just might be me. Then again maybe not.

Here is the definition of Libel of a Public Person is:

To meet the Supreme Court's definition of libel involving a public figure, a quotation must not only be made up or materially altered. It must also defame the person quoted, and damage his or her reputation or livelihood … —Jane Gross, New York Times, 5 June 1993

It is relevant to note that in 1987 the suit against Ms. Malcolm was dismissed … in a narrow ruling that stated that even if the quotations were “false and mischievous,” Ms. Malcolm's alterations did not represent malicious intent and therefore did not constitute libel. —Fred W. Friendly, New York Times Book Review, 25 Feb. 1990

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/libel

We are dealing with public people so the bar is much higher to prove Libel. The plaintiff has to prove the person knowingly and maliciously made something up with the intent to harm their livelihood.

Still, I wanted to remind you all that you own your words.
BBM

With respect to Lin Wood, I believe Wendy Murphy had the right words:

Lin Wood heard me make all kinds of claims about John Ramsey. I’ve said it publicly before. It’s my constitutionally protected opinion that it is John Ramsey who should be the suspect in this case. Lin Wood called me after I did a CNN appearance before he went on Larry King and literally threatened to sue me, threatened me. He said (imitating him) “Wendy Murphy, this is Lin Wood. If you ever blame my client John Ramsey again, you won’t be ex-prosecutor Wendy Murphy, you’ll be defendant Wendy Murphy in a lawsuit. Check my record.”
I said, “CHECK YOUR RECORD? Kiss my you know what!” He does not intimidate me and the fact that he then accused me and threatened me on Larry King speaks volumes to me about whether I might have pushed a couple of buttons with Mr. Lin Wood….Nobody shuts me up with threats like that. I don’t care if your name is Lin Wood. He’s a bully. And he’s bullied a lot of networks into not letting people talk about the real evidence in this case. He’s not gonna bully me. Period. End of discussion.
Catherine Crier Live, August 25. 2006

Thanks Cynic. Perhaps Ms. Jones is not as brave as Wendy Murphy. If that's the case she should have refrained from doing a show about JonBenet. It would have been better than losing all credibility.

Yes but doesn't libel cases have to prove malicious intent? The intent of posters here regardless of which side they are on is to assist in solving this case.

To brainstorm any and all theories we can think of. The RDI's are split into 3 camps PDI,JDI, and BDI. The only family member not accused is Jacques the Bichon Frische. Evidently his lack of opposible thumbs and his verifiable airtight alibi for not being present in the home the night of murder knock him off the suspect list. Sorry for the sarcasm.

To me liable would be pursuing him despite the fact it has been proven he is innocent.

No one discussed here IMO can be ruled out as sincerely as he can be.

As far as IDI goes wouldn't libel be something like this. A poster thinks Fleet White did it and not only posts their opinion here but sends copies and links to his employer and/or future employers. That would show that poster was out to get Mr. White and that their actions went beyond posting an opinion on a forum. That might be considered malicious.

For some reason I believed courts had already ruled on this subject and our rights as individuals to discuss it here.

Thanks for the info Tricia, I thought we were protected but from your warning I guess we are not.

Good for Wendy Murphy.

We do own our own words Tricia. We all have theories about what happened to JonBenet but I do agree that we should not be sayings things that are not true Ramsey comments.

Bring him on! But he might do well to remember this little passage:

"and Hell followed with him."

I think Lin Woods is abosolutely wonderful, and a brilliant attorney.

I agree with that.
Don't shoot the messenger.Cause this is all he is to me,he just speaks for someone and he does his job.His clients are my problem not him.He's good,that's why they are still free IMO.

Good for Wendy Murphy.

We do own our own words Tricia. We all have theories about what happened to JonBenet but I do agree that we should not be sayings things that are not true Ramsey comments.

Toltec,
I doubt very much we will ever see LW sue on behalf of JR. Not unless the defendant was extremely wealthy. Since proving defamation or pecunary loss of reputation would involve adjudication on, and an airing of, forensic evidence relating to JonBenet's death.

All my opinions regarding JonBenet's death are based on allegations made by law enforcement officers. e.g. Lou Smit, Steve Thomas. And the outright inconsistencies regarding some of the Ramsey accounts of events that night.

I agree with that.
Don't shoot the messenger.Cause this is all he is to me,he just speaks for someone and he does his job.His clients are my problem not him.He's good,that's why they are still free IMO.

He's good at suing the tabloids and others in the media for slander/libel.....and at least making them think twice. The Ramsey case was the worst for everyone coming out of the woodwork to get their five minutes of fame, and it was a big money maker for the tabs. Wecht...Geraldo...Nancy Grace...to name a few came out early condemning the Ramseys. He was also the only one that went to bat for that security guard in the Olympic bombings, who was innocent.

He's good at suing the tabloids and others in the media for slander/libel.....and at least making them think twice.

At making himself rich, you mean!

He was also the only one that went to bat for that security guard in the Olympic bombings, who was innocent.

That doesn't make him Saint Jude.

Hey Dave he is a DEFENSE attorney. They are their own special breed. They get clients who are often guilty and many became famous in the trials they won. Or cases that never even got to trial like this one.

The R's don't cooperate without lawyers and the lawyers limit the police as to how far they can go.
In Texas we call it a Mexican Standoff. :maddening:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kenzo2011