1189 users online (184 members and 1005 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    West Palm Beach (Palm Beach County) Florida

IN - Angel Shuai dies after pregnant mom eats rat poison, Anderson, 23 Dec 2010

Attorneys say 34-year-old Shuai was 33 weeks pregnant when she ate rat poison Dec. 23. Doctors delivered her daughter prematurely Dec. 31, and the child died three days later.

Prosecutors also charged with Shuai with attempted feticide, saying she intended to kill the fetus as well as herself.

This lady needs psychological help asap!

Do you have an article link

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_1...03-504083.html

Police say Shuai told friends in Anderson that she swallowed rat poison on Dec. 23. The friends took her to a hospital in Anderson, and she was transferred to a hospital in Indianapolis, where she gave birth Dec. 31. Angel Shuai died Jan. 2.

West Palm Beach (Palm Beach County) Florida

She intended to kill the child AS WELL AS herself.

This is not a typical child murdering parent, this is a woman that needs immediate intensive help.
    RIP Angel. I hope your mother gets the help she so obviously needed, and I wish it could have been in time to save you.
    JMO. Unless there's a link, I can't prove it.

http://www.indystar.com/article/2011...7CIndyStar.com

Bond hearing continues for woman in suicide attempt
    City woman wants to get out of jail in case of newborn girl dying from ingested poison
    12:11 AM, Apr. 6, 2011

An Indianapolis woman accused of killing her newborn baby through her own suicide attempt is asking a judge to let her out of jail on bond.
    http://www.aclu.org/reproductive-fre...-bei-bei-shuai

The ACLU filed an amicus brief arguing that the state of Indiana cannot unconstitutionally subject a woman to harsher criminal penalties because she is pregnant.
    My posts and their content are MY OPINION unless I have provided a link
    and are not to be copied and pasted to other sites or pages without my permission.

That makes no sense. If someone else killed her, they could be charged with killing the child, but if she purposely harms the child, she can't be?

Seems to me if you act crazy and do things off the norm you just may get away with murder.If she really wanted to kill herself she would have taken a whole lot more and not have told anyone she took it.She didn't want the baby,plain and simple...MOO..

It's ridiculous that she be charged with murdering her child. It hadn't yet been born and taken it's first breath, therefore was still a foetus, however sad this might be. She certainly should be out on bail at the very least rather than locked up when she is vulnerable and in need of psychiatric care. What's next? Charging mums who smoke whilst pregnant with child abuse?

Quote Originally Posted by yorkiegal View Post
    It's ridiculous that she be charged with murdering her child. It hadn't yet been born and taken it's first breath, therefore was still a foetus, however sad this might be. She certainly should be out on bail at the very least rather than locked up when she is vulnerable and in need of psychiatric care. What's next? Charging mums who smoke whilst pregnant with child abuse?
    She was 33 weeks along. That is close to being full term. Much more than just a fetus at 6 and a half months. I don't think she would have been able to get a legal abortion at that stage. So this does seem closer to a criminal act. However I do agree with you that she is vulnerable and needs mental help.

Comparing Rat Poison to her smoking a cig is a bit of a stretch though, imo.
    “Every day that they don’t find something is good for me.“ Billie Dunn

The Unborn Victims of Violence Act makes it a crime to harm a fetus during an assault on a pregnant woman.

The pregnant woman committed the assault on her fetus, so why is she not being charged with murder? Just because a stranger didn't force feed her the rat poison?

It's the INTENT to kill her child. Smoking whilst pregnant does not kill a child, nor does a drink or 2. Even women who take meth for 9 months deliver babies.

This <modsnip> wanted her child DEAD. The intent is clearly there. IMHO she should not be out on bail - she's right where she belongs.

That's my opinion and I'm a stickin to it!

Mel
    Last edited by Salem; 04-16-2011 at 11:53 PM. Reason: name calling

Quote Originally Posted by Reality Orlando View Post
    That makes no sense. If someone else killed her, they could be charged with killing the child, but if she purposely harms the child, she can't be?
    Guess not. Some politicians will even refer to it as a self-inflicted-late-term-abortion. Roll eyes!

Mel

If somebody else forced her to eat that poison, would anyone be arguing not to charge that somebody with the murder of a fetus?
    In fact we do charge people with murder if fetus is close to full term.

People who try to commint suicide are considered as in need of mental services ,at the time she was not in a normal persons state of mind.

Also it is very possible she didnt veiw her own body as two lives when she decided to attemped to end hers.

http://www.mentalhealthamerica.net/go/suicide

At 33 weeks, had she gone into labor chances are the BABY would have survived and done well - she was 12 full weeks beyond getting a legal abortion, why? because ending the life of a pre-born baby after 21 weeks is cruel and painful - the baby is concidered viable.

If anyone else had caused her harm that resulted in the death of her baby they would be charged with murder - just because the baby was in her womb doesn't give her the right to takes a life, literally weeks before she was full term -

Had she been taking illegal drugs, gone into labor and given birth to a baby with drugs in her system she would be charged with child abuse and neglect. Had she given birth after taking illegal drugs and the baby died she would be charged at the least with manslaughter & child abuse. Those events are not usually attempts to cause harm, so why should she get a pass? Abuse is abuse and she murdered her viable unborn baby.

I'm not pretending to know her state of mind when she ate rat poison - I'm sure most agree she was far from normal that day, but as long as she knew right from wrong, she is exactly where she belongs - she will in all likeliness be evaluated and treated while in jail - where she is prevented from causing anymore harm.
    Last edited by LCoastMom; 04-17-2011 at 03:24 AM.
    Thank you my WS family for everything you do, everyday. You are loved and appreciated.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~Emma Leigh Barker~
    09/02/07~03/18/09
    ~R.I.P.~

Justice For Emma
    Stacey Barker - Guilty - Murder 1 - 5/24/11
    25 to LiFE - Sentenced 6/17/11

~~~~~~~~~~~
    jmho as always

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast