1000 users online (170 members and 830 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

CO - LE peppers sprays rageful 8 yr. old, Lakewood

http://www.9news.com/news/article/19...second-grader-

According to the report, Aidan "was climbing the cart and spitting at teachers. He also broke wood trim off the walls and was trying to stab teachers with it."

"I wanted to make something sharp if they came out because I was so mad at them," Aidan said. "I was going to try to whack them with it."

Talking

Sounds like they need some pepper spray at home, how many times do the cops have to come?.

"Just kind of like whenever anybody upsets me," he said. "Like I just kind of want to tear them apart... I think it's not ever going to go away... It's just who I am."

And he has sharp sticks?, try and pick on the cops I dare ya.

I really HATE that an 8 year old got pepper sprayed.

But good lord, this child is BEGGING for someone to control him, who's bigger and stronger and not intimidated by his rage.

I don't think it was excessive. I think it was kind of creative. He got some serious consequences for his behavior.

I say this while understanding he may have a condition where he is unable to control his rage. But still, whether he can or not, acting out his rage will get him serious consequences. He'll need to take that to heart no matter what his mental/emotional condition is.

This particular consequence is NOTHING compared to what he's looking forward to (or his future victims).

I understand his mother's upset. I would be, too. I'm sure I would have called the media. I hope that this incident, followed up by intensive evaluation and treatment gives this kid a leg up on his condition.

At first it sounds completely out of bounds to pepper spray a child, but, heck, they couldn't just let him stab somebody with wood pieces! If he had been an adult, he may very well have gotten shot.

I sure don't envy those parents having to figure out what to do to help him.

Quote Originally Posted by STEADFAST View Post
    At first it sounds completely out of bounds to pepper spray a child, but, heck, they couldn't just let him stab somebody with wood pieces! If he had been an adult, he may very well have gotten shot.

I sure don't envy those parents having to figure out what to do to help him.
    The steps they take with kids today I find amazing, they are so heavy handed with zero tolerance policies that they just go way overboard and really get peeved.

This case is certainly different, and yeah he would have gotten pepper sprayed at best with a sharp stick and a tear, I might have zapped the mother with a Taser as well. Crazy people need to get that kid straight.

My first thought is what is going on in this child's life that is causing him to act out in such a way?

My second thought was he's 8 yrs old wasn't there an adult anywhere in that building that could outsmart him and take the sharp stick away? Instead of giving him a shot of pepper spray? He's 8 yrs old for pete's sake.

I know that sounds sassy but I'm not being flippant.

All JMHO.

ETA: Thank God no adults in that building grabbed a stun gun.

I'm glad he was pepper sprayed and I hope he hated it! If that was the consequence each and everytime he behaved that way, it would quickly stop.

I am quite certain he's capable of learning to control himself. The police where called THREE times for this child, this year.

He's out of control and his mother isn't doing him any favors. That child better learn NOW that his behavior will NOT be tolerated. The rest of the world isn't going to put up with it and they shouldn't have to.

Nosy by Nature and a Websleuther by choice

Daisyjane is offline "All the clouds are clearing, and I think we're over the storm."
    Acting out in school is a bid for attention. Putting him on TV and interviewing him - isn't that positive reinforcement?

Acting out in school is sometimes a bid for attention. If the child is being serious that he wants to stab people, then that's not so much a bid for attention as a serious scream for help. He needs serious psych treatment, not pepper spray or TV exposure. JMO.

I am biased here, one of the men that I care about the most was diagnosed with "psychotic episodes, extreme homicidal rage toward males" at the age of 9. 25 years later, with intensive therapy, medication and other treatments, he is functional in society, but at 9, when he was attempting to attack adult males, it was not a bid for attention. It was the manifestation of a serious mental illness, and pepper spray wouldn't have helped a bit.
    Last edited by not_my_kids; 04-06-2011 at 10:35 AM.
    JMO. Unless there's a link, I can't prove it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kat View Post
    My first thought is what is going on in this child's life that is causing him to act out in such a way?

My second thought was he's 8 yrs old wasn't there an adult anywhere in that building that could outsmart him and take the sharp stick away? Instead of giving him a shot of pepper spray? He's 8 yrs old for pete's sake.

I know that sounds sassy but I'm not being flippant.

All JMHO.

ETA: Thank God no adults in that building grabbed a stun gun.
    I'm afraid if someone tried to outsmart him (by grabbing the stick, or grabbing his arm) then we'd be hearing that he was physically abused or manhandled. It was a no-win situation from the start. No matter what tactics were used, we'd be hearing that it was one type of abuse or another.

If this is a common occurence for this child, I'm not sure he belongs in a mainstream classroom, until he learns some different coping skills.

Quote Originally Posted by oh_gal View Post
    I'm afraid if someone tried to outsmart him (by grabbing the stick, or grabbing his arm) then we'd be hearing that he was physically abused or manhandled. It was a no-win situation from the start. No matter what tactics were used, we'd be hearing that it was one type of abuse or another.

If this is a common occurrence for this child, I'm not sure he belongs in a mainstream classroom, until he learns some different coping skills.

He was already in a specialized, self contained classroom within a public school when this happened. He is now attending a "alternative school"

His mother was claiming this morning on tv that he's perfectly normal at home, out in public, at his grandmothers etc... Seems to me she's blaming the school for his out of control behaviors. If that's the case, why would she continually set him up to fail? She should keep him home and educate him there. IMO if he's fine at home it's because she never says no, sets limits or issues consequences for anything. She seems to be teaching him that he is not responsible for his actions, it's just the way he is. That HORRIFIES me.

Nosy by Nature and a Websleuther by choice

Quote Originally Posted by Linda7NJ View Post
    He was already in a specialized, self contained classroom within a public school when this happened. He is now attending a "alternative school"

Hi
    Sounds like the parents need to be more involved in this issue, instead of counting on the school to come up with a workable plan for their son.

Quote Originally Posted by not_my_kids View Post
    Acting out in school is sometimes a bid for attention. If the child is being serious that he wants to stab people, then that's not so much a bid for attention as a serious scream for help. He needs serious psych treatment, not pepper spray or TV exposure. JMO.

I am biased here, one of the men that I care about the most was diagnosed with "psychotic episodes, extreme homicidal rage toward males" at the age of 9. 25 years later, with intensive therapy, medication and other treatments, he is functional in society, but at 9, when he was attempting to attack adult males, it was not a bid for attention. It was the manifestation of a serious mental illness, and pepper spray wouldn't have helped a bit.
    Unfortunately, when the child is swinging around a pointed stick, threatening others, there is no time for a therapy session. They needed to do what they needed to do to make everyone immediately safe.

Quote Originally Posted by oh_gal View Post
    Unfortunately, when the child is swinging around a pointed stick, threatening others, there is no time for a therapy session. They needed to do what they needed to do to make everyone immediately safe.
    I get that, I was referring to whoever dropped the ball the first two times law enforcement had to be called to talk this kid down. It should never have been a matter of calming him down and sending him back to class. He should have been placed on a temporary psych hold immediately, as he was presenting as a danger to others, and then evaluated from there. From what I'm seeing, that wasn't done, and is only making it harder on everyone in the long term.
    JMO. Unless there's a link, I can't prove it.

What is going on that an 8 yr old child has to have the cops called on him 3 times at school? I mean what is going on in his life? As NMK suggested could he have a mental illness issue? Is it possible that something in his life is causing him rage and acting out? (molestation...etc).

He's 8. Not 18, not 28 but 8 yrs old. Aren't there any entities that can step in and assure that he is okay? Evaluate if he needs help or not?

(the above is a serious question. I'm not familiar with public programs and how they work in the civilian sector).

I don't think it's a thing to be taken lightly but I do think that this 8 yr old child could be in a situation where he is not getting the help he needs. I am concerned for him. I'm kind of disheartened because IMHO you can kind of see the writing on the wall for this kiddo. KWIM? Makes me sad.

JMHO

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast