910 users online (180 members and 730 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

UK - Man cleared of poisoning Stowe School soup

Stowe School kitchen porter cleared of poisoning soup meant for pupils

A kitchen porter at a top public school has been acquitted of attempting to poison the pupils' soup.

Maxwell Cook was accused of pouring a bleach-like cleaning product into the carrot and coriander soup at Stowe School, Buckinghamshire.

But after 2˝ hours deliberation, the jury of 11 women and one man found him not guilty of attempting to administer poison with intent to injure, aggrieve or annoy.
    ---
    more at Guardian link above
    ---
    Robert Spencer-Bernard, prosecuting, said that on March 11 last year trainee chef Louise Samples ‘saw the defendant at the stove by the pot of soup and he was pouring a clear liquid from a container into the pot’.
    ---
    When Maxwell was asked if he had done anything to the soup, he replied: ‘No mate.’
    ---
    Cook's defence barrister, Henry James, asked Miss Samples whether in fact it was she had who poisoned the soup to discredit the chef, with whom she was competing for a job.

But the trainee denied this, telling the court in a shaky voice: 'Everyone I work with is like a second family to me.'
    ---
    more, with pictures, at Daily Mail link below:

Kitchen porter at top public school 'poured bleach into soup in bid to poison pupils'

So - who did poison the Stowe School soup?

For some reason this episode of British life reminds me of a nursery rhyme, long lost in the mists of time...

In olden times (not too far back, really), a good poisoning case was sure to occasion a childs' rhyme springing up in the streets, with variations galore; Mary Ann Cotton was hanged in 1873 and was believed to have poisoned 21 people - husbands, lovers, children, people who looked at her funny, etc.

Mary Ann Cotton,
    She's dead and she's rotten
    She lies in her bed,
    With her eyes wide open
    Sing, sing, oh, what can I sing,
    Mary Ann Cotton is tied up with string
    Where, where? Up in the air
    Sellin' black puddens a penny a pair.

LadyL is offline Sleuthing for Lonzie Barton & All Victims.
    he's only 58? he looks more like 88 to me ...