CA CA - Orange Co., WhtMale Skeletal 190UMCA, 15-19, in Trabuco Canyon, Dec'96

Ambercat

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
This is my first post here. I apologize in advance if any problems in the post/layout.

CORONER CASE NUMBER: 96-07901-MU
Doe Network Case File 190UMCA
SEX: MALE
RACE: CAUCASIAN
DATE of DEATH: Between 1/95 and 6/96
AGE Estimate. LOW: 15, HIGH: 19
EYES: UNKNOWN
HAIR: Red or Sandy Brown
HEIGHT: 64-68
WEIGHT LBS: 130-160
LOCATION FOUND: Wilderness area E. of Trabuco Creek Rd., 1.7 miles N. of Trabuco Canyon Road, Trabuco Canyon CA
DEATH CLASSIFICATION: Undetermined
PHYSIQUE: Unknown
FEATURES: Partial skeletal remains found on 12/13/96 in a wilderness area frequented by transients and illegal aliens in Trabuco Canyon, off Trabuco Creek Road. The area is northeast of O'Neill Regional Park. Caucasian with reddish/sandy-brown hair, 15-19 years old, 64-68 inches tall, poor dental care.
TATTOOS: None noted
JEWELRY: None
DENTALS: Available. He had poor dental care and some missing teeth. "O" restoration #19, abscess and caries #14, caries #3). Unerupted wisdom teeth, #30 missing antemortem. #4 retained deciduous molar distal buccal root tip.

http://egov.ocgov.com/ocgov/Sheriff-Coroner%20-%20Sandra%20Hutchens/Commands%20and%20Divisions/Professional%20Services%20Command/Coroner/Unidentified%20Dead/John%20DOES/96-07901-MU
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/190umca.html
9607901f.gif

I have a suspicion about who this might be, but the date of death would have to be way off. How accurate do you think the date of death for this young man is?

Welcome to WS and the UID forum Ambercat. :welcome:

We've seen the dates off, especially with skeletal remains. My suggestion is go ahead and add a post for the possible match for discussion.

hth

I thought that 190UMCA might be Angelo Nicola Gatti Jr.

www.doenetwork.org/cases/517dmca.html
www.charleyproject.org/cases/g/gatti_angelo.html
dojapp.doj.ca.gov/missing/detail.asp?FCN=3739221300043

The demographic information (height, weight, hair color, age) are very similar between Angelo and 190UMCA. San Juan Hot Springs (where Angelo was last seen by his family) and Trabuco Canyon are not really that far apart. The big discrepancy is that Angelo was last seen on July 13, 1974 and 190UMCA estimated date of death is between January 1995 and June 1996.

I have wondered also if the “Angel” listing on the list found in serial killer Randy Kraft’s car was a referring to Angelo Gatti.

this kid fits most of the parameters, Blake Pursley. ran away from a youth center in San Bernadino in 1994. was 14 y.o., was 5'5" and had brown hair. the UID had poor dentition and judging by his photo, Blake had oddly shaped teeth. one of his legs was 4" shorter than the other but only scattered skeletal remains were found so we can't tell if they found both legs on the UID:

https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/1848/0/

Two possibles?

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1177dmca.html

Burt O'Ryan Dollar
Missing since July 9, 1995 from Long Beach, Los Angeles County, California.
Classification: Endangered Missing

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vital Statistics
•Date Of Birth: October 9, 1974
•Age at Time of Disappearance: 20 years old
•Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'11"; 155 lbs.
•Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Blond hair; blue eyes.
•Marks, Scars, Tattoos: Tattoo of a dog head in dark and tan colored ink on his left, front shoulder; tattoo of a dollar sign on left bicep. Appendectomy scar in abdominal area.
•DNA: Available

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Circumstances of Disappearance
Burt Dollar was last seen in Long Beach, CA on July 9, 1995 together with his friend Steven Clark. They were headed to Yosemite, CA or Forest Falls (just south of Yosemite), CA. to go camping.
Last seen driving an unknown year, white Ford Festiva with Indiana license plates. The vehicle was later located just off Highway 395 near the California / Nevada border.

or:
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1178dmca.html

Stephen Michael Clark
Missing since July 9, 1995 from Yucaipa, San Bernardino County, California.
Classification: Endangered Missing

Vital Statistics

•Date Of Birth: December 28, 1973
•Age at Time of Disappearance: 21 years old
•Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'11"; 165 lbs.
•Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Blond hair; blue eyes.

Circumstances of Disappearance
Stephen Michael Clark was last seen in Long Beach, CA on July 9, 1995 together with his friend Burt O'Ryan Dollar. They were headed to Yosemite, CA or Forest Falls (just south of Yosemite), CA.
Last seen driving an unknown year, white Ford Festiva with Indiana license plates. The vehicle was later located just off Hwy 395 near the California/Nevada border.

Stephen looks most like the sketch to me. What do you all think?

Stephen doesn't have the squared jaws like the drawing. His jaws are much narrower.

Burt looks a little closer, but he doesn't have as wide of a head from eyes-to-temples.

There's no way to evaluate how accurate the drawing is, but It seems to be carefully done.

Both Burt and Stephen are much taller than the UID also.

Yes, I did notice the height difference Carl, but given that there were only partial skeletal remains found, I am not sure how accurate the height estimation could be. Just thought I'd put them out there as possibles - we can only try :waitasec:

He does look like Angelo, and the fact Angelo left with a sleeping bag and a revolver fits in reasonably well with him maybe having planned to sleep rough, possibly near or in a transient camp.

If this guy had been found where I am (half a world away in Australia) I'd be hoping it was Daniel Sheppard.

He does look like Angelo, and the fact Angelo left with a sleeping bag and a revolver fits in reasonably well with him maybe having planned to sleep rough, possibly near or in a transient camp.

If this guy had been found where I am (half a world away in Australia) I'd be hoping it was Daniel Sheppard.

Angelo's dad (Angelo Gatti Sr) dropped him off on the Ortega Highway near San Juan Hot Springs area (about 23 miles by road/a lot less as the crow flies near where the unidentified young man was found). I wonder if the .22 caliber Smith and Wesson revolver that he was carrying ever surfaced after his disappearance? I know that now, when there is a firearm associated with a missing person the serial number is flagged but I don't know if that was the case in the 1970s.

I have seen the three other possible matches that people have suggested for the man found in Trabuco Canyon, but I really think that he looks the most like Angelo Gatti Jr. I wonder if this could be similar to Beddie Walraven's case where she was murdered in 1946, yet the Medical Examiner estimated her date of death as being between 1961 and 1971.
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146577

I have my doubts about Angelo.

first of all he was supposedly 5'2", rather short and a couple of inches below the etsimated range of the UID. (not a deal breaker by any shot) second, and more importantly to me, was the poor dental care for the UID. I don't know what Gatti's socioeconomic status was, but lack of dental care implies to me neglect and/or poverty. Was Newport Beach a poorer neighborhood back in the 1970's??

I have my doubts about Angelo.

first of all he was supposedly 5'2", rather short and a couple of inches below the etsimated range of the UID. (not a deal breaker by any shot) second, and more importantly to me, was the poor dental care for the UID. I don't know what Gatti's socioeconomic status was, but lack of dental care implies to me neglect and/or poverty. Was Newport Beach a poorer neighborhood back in the 1970's??

LOL -- I don't think Newport Beach has ever been a poorer neighborhood. It is my understanding that he used to go out into the woods for long periods of time -- I am not sure what kind of dental maintenance could be done there.

Another possibility, since LE said the area was used by illegal immigrants and transients could mean that he is someone who came across the border illegally (maybe he traveled from Europe to Mexico and crossed to the US) and was never reported missing by his family. He also could have also been local and not reported missing for some reason or other.

I realized one other thing after I posted my comment. Angelo has dental information available so he had received dental care in the past. somewhat inconsistent with the poor to non-existent dental care for the UID.

the hair color probably excludes a Latin American illegal.

I realized one other thing after I posted my comment. Angelo has dental information available so he had received dental care in the past. somewhat inconsistent with the poor to non-existent dental care for the UID.

the hair color probably excludes a Latin American illegal.

I thought he could be someone who traveled from Europe to Mexico, then crossed the border illegally. There is a small population of Germans and other West Europeans who immigrated to Latin America, so while it is not likely he is from Latin America, it isn't completely impossible.

Stephen doesn't have the squared jaws like the drawing. His jaws are much narrower.

Burt looks a little closer, but he doesn't have as wide of a head from eyes-to-temples.

There's no way to evaluate how accurate the drawing is, but It seems to be carefully done.

Both Burt and Stephen are much taller than the UID also.

I think he looks like Burt Dollar. The height on the UID could be off, because of the partial remains.

The reconstruction looks like someone between 17-19, rather than 15-19. JMO.

I think Blake Pursley looks very possible...did anyone submit him?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back