Woman ordered to serve Jury Duty for life!

Yeah, I don't think so. She has the right to be a pig. He lost his temper and as a result, confidential information about her was smeared all over the press. Wrong!!

He should be under review, and she should get a lawyer, pronto. jmo

Yeah, I don't think so. She has the right to be a pig. He lost his temper and as a result, confidential information about her was smeared all over the press. Wrong!!

He should be under review, and she should get a lawyer, pronto. jmo

Totally agree. Who does this guy think he is?

This is really a bad decision on the judge's part. He will never be able to make it stick that she has to come back daily. That means she won't learn her lesson and will continue to believe she can "get out of it" if that's indeed what she was trying to do.

Plus, she might have a constitutional case under "cruel and unusual punishment".

Bad form, Your Honor.

I think that is an abuse of power. He could have held her in contempt, and she would have received due process. She may be a horrible person, but he is in the wrong, imo.

While I understand it can be disruptive, I don't get people who try to 'get out' of jury duty. I've been called three times, and was thrilled to serve (never actually sat on a jury, though--the first two times, I was dismissed without even making it to a panel, the third time, I was on a panel of prospective jurors in a criminal case--in the county I worked in as an attorney, doing mostly family law but also a bit of criminal defense. I got struck as a juror, and gave the prosecutor (who I'd gone to law school with) some flack about it later--two of her colleagues later told me that they would have left me on the panel, lol--clearly, I was far too reasonable of a defense attorney!)

I'm just wondering how she'll manage to support herself, sitting in a courtroom all day.

I've served, and I will again. It's interesting, and it's definitely not for everyone. But to hold her like this is something akin to false imprisonment, and the judge should be censured for doing it.

Best-
Herding Cats

Maybe that is really how she is. Quite frankly, if she may be as racist as she claims, I rather not see her on a jury.

I don't see how he has a right to do that.

But, I think the woman is an idiot. Not only for her remarks but because she supposedly didn't want to be a juror. I LOVED jury duty!

While I understand it can be disruptive, I don't get people who try to 'get out' of jury duty. I've been called three times, and was thrilled to serve (never actually sat on a jury, though--the first two times, I was dismissed without even making it to a panel, the third time, I was on a panel of prospective jurors in a criminal case--in the county I worked in as an attorney, doing mostly family law but also a bit of criminal defense. I got struck as a juror, and gave the prosecutor (who I'd gone to law school with) some flack about it later--two of her colleagues later told me that they would have left me on the panel, lol--clearly, I was far too reasonable of a defense attorney!)

I agree. I've served on three juries and consider it just as much my civic duty as voting or stopping at a red light.

The county I now live in has gone to a one day/one trial system so that people don't spend much time sitting at the courthouse waiting to see if they will be needed. Nearly everyone is called to jury duty every year (they use driver's license rolls as well as voting records), but most people in any given year only have to call in or check on line; we only go to the courthouse if we are selected for voir dire.

Plus, she might have a constitutional case under "cruel and unusual punishment".

Bad form, Your Honor.

Agreed. Moreover, what trial attorney would want her on a jury? She is sure to be disgruntled, so prosecutors and defense attorneys alike will be demanding she be struck for cause.

I have wanted all my life to be on a jury. I got a summons one time, and made it as far as the "what do you do for a living" question. Apparently the attorneys did not like the "I work in a maximum security forensic psychiatric hospital" answer.

either which way I sure as heck don't want her on my jury. Let's see, a potentially racist woman that hates being on jury duty. Yeah that's my peer.

ummm, can he legally do that?

I too love being a juror, but this Judge was out of line - he got angry and misused his power. Plus, his misuse of power was an empty gesture - there's no way he can force her to be on jury duty for life. It's just silly.

Oh sure, like she can be fair and impartial. I can't imagine that she'd actually be selected to sit on a jury, but it might do her some good to sit around all day waiting to be called for voir dire only to be kicked right back out into the juror's lounge when the attorneys strike her. A few weeks of that routine should teach her to have patience, maybe a little tolerance, too.

I have wanted all my life to be on a jury. I got a summons one time, and made it as far as the "what do you do for a living" question. Apparently the attorneys did not like the "I work in a maximum security forensic psychiatric hospital" answer.

Don't give up hope. I've been bounced from several juries because I worked at law firms (even though I explained that as a document processing operator, I generally had very limited knowledge of the cases); but I also served on a jury along with a defense attorney. Getting rid of legal workers seems to depend on whether the trial attorneys are concerned they will be second-guessed on the law.

Likewise, I'm sure you'll be excused when the facts of the case seem related to your work, but accepted on panels where psychiatry isn't a major issue--all depending on the perceptions of the judge and attorneys, of course.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back