Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2011.04.12 Casey Anthony trial: Focus group 'acquits' Anthony on CBS show

Hybrid View

2011.04.12 Casey Anthony trial: Focus group 'acquits' Anthony on CBS show

CBS' "48 Hours Mystery" returns to the Casey Anthony case with a twist this weekend that is causing a furor: The program asks an Orlando focus group if it would acquit the young mother of first-degree murder.

The result of the jury-like group: CBS says most of the 12 people would acquit.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...,5029059.story

2. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Reality Orlando For This Useful Post:

They are doing this simply for ratings. If they had just done a normal summary of the case, there would just be a few articles advertising the show, "Watch 48 Hours on the Caylee Anthony case on Saturday!" but by acquitting Casey, they are purposely causing controversy and outrage, which will bring more media coverage about their show, and more viewers who will tune in. I know the first 48 hours episode had about 6 million viewers, and I'm interested in seeing how many people watch the new episode. I hope the ratings are consistent, because if there's a big increase, that will just show that their controversial plan for ratings worked.

Snaz is offline "Heavens to Habeas Corpus" ~ Legal Eagle Lion
    Quote Originally Posted by eileenhawkeye View Post
    They are doing this simply for ratings. If they had just done a normal summary of the case, there would just be a few articles advertising the show, "Watch 48 Hours on the Caylee Anthony case on Saturday!" but by acquitting Casey, they are purposely causing controversy and outrage, which will bring more media coverage about their show, and more viewers who will tune in. I know the first 48 hours episode had about 6 million viewers, and I'm interested in seeing how many people watch the new episode. I hope the ratings are consistent, because if there's a big increase, that will just show that their controversial plan for ratings worked.
    Bold and red mine.

Acquitting Casey....... that leaves an unbelievably NASTY taste in my mouth to read or hear those words. <blech>

Hang on, Baby Caylee.... justice is coming!!
    "Judge, Mr, Ashton is laughing at me..... " ~ Jose Baez, Closing Argument 7/3/11 (Paraphrased, of course!)

Quote Originally Posted by Snaz View Post
    Bold and red mine.

Acquitting Casey....... that leaves an unbelievably NASTY taste in my mouth to read or hear those words. <blech>

snaz, im right w/ you, hearing that( acquitting casey) not only left me w/ a bad taste in my mouth, i suddenly have the urge to or perhaps thats one is better, b/c i almost want to puke ...just thinking of the possibilty if she walks...

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to charok For This Useful Post:

Bold and red mine.

Did this focus group spend the hundreds of hours that I did reading depositions, discovery, interviews, and watching all the pre-trial hearings?

My guess is probably not!

Acquittal my arse.

Mel

Wagara is offline Wishin' and hopin’ and thinkin’ and prayin’...
    SNIPPED:
    In 2009, CBS News paid $20,000 to George and Cindy to license photos and video to provide visuals for the story, a standard industry practice. The material appeared on "48 Hours Mystery" and "The Early Show," and it belongs to CBS in perpetuity.

In 2008, ABC News paid $200,000 to Casey Anthony to license video and photos of the toddler. Later that year, Casey Anthony was charged with the child's murder. The ABC deal ignited a furor over ethics, and the high amount stunned the TV industry.
    If never before, there it is in black and white.
    Whatever I say...It's only my opinion.

Focus group? Sounds like the focus group was sponsored by Kool-aid!

Quote Originally Posted by ClockWatcher View Post
    Focus group? Sounds like the focus group was sponsored by Kool-aid!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zadari For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Wagara View Post
    SNIPPED:

In 2009, CBS News paid $20,000 to George and Cindy to license photos and video to provide visuals for the story, a standard industry practice. The material appeared on "48 Hours Mystery" and "The Early Show," and it belongs to CBS in perpetuity.

In 2008, ABC News paid $200,000 to Casey Anthony to license video and photos of the toddler. Later that year, Casey Anthony was charged with the child's murder. The ABC deal ignited a furor over ethics, and the high amount stunned the TV industry.
    If never before, there it is in black and white.

bumping this to page 3

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlOnDe_GuRrL For This Useful Post:

Do photo agencies own any pictures of Caylee or were they all sold directly to the media outlets by the Anthonys? I know in JonBenet's case, all of her pageant pictures and videos are owned by photo agencies so whenever the media wants to use a picture/video of her, they have to pay a licensing fee to the photo agency. There is no media outlet that actually owns JonBenet's pageant videos/pictures; they have to pay the fee every time they show a picture or video. However, it seems that in Caylee's case, her pictures were just sold to the media outlets directly from the Anthonys, for them to use on any of their shows. I guess the Anthonys figured they could get a better deal licensing out Caylee's photos themselves, instead of selling them to a photo agency, or perhaps they didn't think of that option.

Also, does anyone know how many pictures and videos that 200k covered?

15. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to eileenhawkeye For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by eileenhawkeye View Post
    Do photo agencies own any pictures of Caylee or were they all sold directly to the media outlets by the Anthonys? I know in JonBenet's case, all of her pageant pictures and videos are owned by photo agencies so whenever the media wants to use a picture/video of her, they have to pay a licensing fee to the photo agency. There is no media outlet that actually owns JonBenet's pageant videos/pictures; they have to pay the fee every time they show a picture or video. However, it seems that in Caylee's case, her pictures were just sold to the media outlets directly from the Anthonys, for them to use on any of their shows. I guess the Anthonys figured they could get a better deal licensing out Caylee's photos themselves, instead of selling them to a photo agency, or perhaps they didn't think of that option.

Also, does anyone know how many pictures and videos that 200k covered?
    Hope this was not already answered, but I just read this article earlier and caught this:
    "
    The new hour draws on old interviews with George and Cindy Anthony, Casey's parents. There are no new Caylee photos in the hour, and CBS News paid no new licensing fees for material, Zirinsky said.
    In 2009, CBS News paid $20,000 to George and Cindy to license photos and video to provide visuals for the story, a standard industry practice. The material appeared on "48 Hours Mystery" and "The Early Show," and it belongs to CBS in perpetuity."
    in perpetuity adj. forever, as in one's right to keep the profits from the land in perpetuity. From: http://legal-dictionary.thefreedicti.../In+Perpetuity

17. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to A_News_Junkie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by A_News_Junkie View Post
    Hope this was not already answered, but I just read this article earlier and caught this:
    "
    The new hour draws on old interviews with George and Cindy Anthony, Casey's parents. There are no new Caylee photos in the hour, and CBS News paid no new licensing fees for material, Zirinsky said.
    In 2009, CBS News paid $20,000 to George and Cindy to license photos and video to provide visuals for the story, a standard industry practice. The material appeared on "48 Hours Mystery" and "The Early Show," and it belongs to CBS in perpetuity."
    in perpetuity adj. forever, as in one's right to keep the profits from the land in perpetuity. From: http://legal-dictionary.thefreedicti.../In+Perpetuity

Lol! I bet CA will be trying to get more money out of them at some point! I certainly wouldn't put it past her. moo

It Was Ancient Aliens!

19. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to chefmom For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by A_News_Junkie View Post
    "

Thanks. So ABC owns 200k worth of pictures and CBS has 20k worth of pictures, but what about the other channels? Did the Anthonys sell photos to them too (and it just hasn't been revealed in the press) or do they get their Caylee pictures from a photo agency? Also, the news networks got a pretty good deal because if they had to license Caylee pictures every time they used them on their channel or on their website from a photo agency, it would probably go way over $20k and $200k.

21. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to eileenhawkeye For This Useful Post:

sipping coffee at the Purple Rose Theatre
    wow.... I used to like 48 hours.

now.

not so much...
    This bee my opinion

somewhere between incredulous and disgusted
    Quote Originally Posted by nursebeeme View Post

now.

not so much...
    What she said
    If no link is provided it's a good bet it's simply

Those who try to bring you down are already beneath you.

Quote Originally Posted by tlcox View Post
    What she said
    Yep , me too. I will never watch that show again.

25. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to lillys For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by nursebeeme View Post

now.

not so much...
    Same - wonder how much this 'mock jury' was paid for their acquittal?

27. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to darnudes For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by darnudes View Post
    Same - wonder how much this 'mock jury' was paid for their acquittal?
    Not as much as the taxpayers of Florida are having to cough up to move this trial after Baez pleaded for a change of venue citing pre trial publicity...
    Now JB is taking it to the media again, as he is definitely involved with this Jury Selection guy, Richard Gabriel. I hope someone brings this whole sick story to the attention of the SA and HHJP. Let her be tried in Orlando.

Quote Originally Posted by ZsaZsa View Post
    Not as much as the taxpayers of Florida are having to cough up to move this trial after Baez pleaded for a change of venue citing pre trial publicity...
    Now JB is taking it to the media again, as he is definitely involved with this Jury Selection guy, Richard Gabriel. I hope someone brings this whole sick story to the attention of the SA and HHJP. Let her be tried in Orlando.
    I hope it is brought up to the Florida Bar Association, there has to be something immoral and unethical about this whole thing.
    Burn the candles, use the nice sheets, wear the fancy jewelry and lingerie. Don't save it for a special occasion, Every Day Is Special.

In My Humble Opinion and I Reserve
    The Right To Change It As Often As Neccessary.

Here is Richard Gabriel, his website says he is currently working with Casey Anthony's Attorneys.

http://www.decisionanalysisinc.com/i...iles&Itemid=55

Quote Originally Posted by Truthwillsetufree View Post
    I hope it is brought up to the Florida Bar Association, there has to be something immoral and unethical about this whole thing.
    I totally agree. I know a lot of you will disagree with me, but I am not a fan of the Sunshine Laws here in Florida. I think this would have gone down a total different path if this case hadn't been so available in the press.

32. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Reality Orlando For This Useful Post:

Snaz is offline "Heavens to Habeas Corpus" ~ Legal Eagle Lion
    I have to keep reminding myself that this "focus group" was not in any way selected by anyone representing the State. For all we know, whoever picked this particular group of people LOOKED for those who leaned toward the defense in the first place.

I think the whole thing is a farce and it truly makes me sick CBS/48 Hrs. can produce this kind of "journalism" right before trial is due to start and get away with it. Talk about jury tampering...
    "Judge, Mr, Ashton is laughing at me..... " ~ Jose Baez, Closing Argument 7/3/11 (Paraphrased, of course!)

I have to keep reminding myself that this "focus group" was not in any way selected by anyone representing the State. For all we know, whoever picked this particular group of people LOOKED for those who leaned toward the defense in the first place.

I think the whole thing is a farce and it truly makes me sick CBS/48 Hrs. can produce this kind of "journalism" right before trial is due to start and get away with it. Talk about jury tampering...
    I agree! But we *might* know? Courtesy of "nums24"

http://blog.richardhornsby.com/2011/...-are-the-odds/
    Last edited by cloud9; 04-12-2011 at 08:16 PM. Reason: to add...
    I love Websleuths! Justice for Caylee!

Quote Originally Posted by cloud9 View Post
    very very interesting...

so...does JAC know about this? IMO they should
    ...the humble opinion of Jo Schmo...0 number of Days Jury Deliberated for Caylee

36. The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to okiedokietoo For This Useful Post:

I have to keep reminding myself that this "focus group" was not in any way selected by anyone representing the State. For all we know, whoever picked this particular group of people LOOKED for those who leaned toward the defense in the first place.I think the whole thing is a farce and it truly makes me sick CBS/48 Hrs. can produce this kind of "journalism" right before trial is due to start and get away with it. Talk about jury tampering...
    For that matter, they could have been actors. Who knows? Bunch of pure fiction.
    Look twice - Save a Life! Motorcycles are everywhere!

38. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Softail For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast