1201 users online (238 members and 963 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

WA - Leighton Welch, 35, Spokane, 28 March 2011

Spokane man’s disappearance a mystery

The mystery of the man’s disappearance began with what his fiancée described as a bizarre ending to a phone call.

Leighton Welch, 35, was walking in Spokane and talking on his cellphone to Michonda Weaver, his girlfriend of nearly four years. Weaver said he described a steep cliff, then said he’d been spooked by a pit bull in the area.

Then, a crash and a scream before the phone went dead.

That was March 28.

Weaver has not heard from Welch since. No one else has either, she said, and his family is frantic. Weaver knows what people probably think – that the father of her two young children staged his disappearance.

More: http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...rance-mystery/

Michonda Weaver photo

Police Searching For Missing SFCC Student

Spokane police are looking for a man who was talking on his cell phone when he may have fallen off a cliff in late March.

[snip]

Barrington asked T-Mobile to triangulate where Welch was standing when he made that last phone call to his fiancée. Cell towers put Welch near Coeur d'Alene Park in Browne's Addition and fortunately not on a cliff. Still, Weaver worries more with each passing day.

[snip]

"His clothes, his car, I've got his social security card, school ID, I've got his backpack. His shoes, I've got everything he owns in my house," Weaver said.

More: http://www.kxly.com/news/27524689/detail.html

The closest thing I see to a "cliff" is Overlook Park which is right in that same area.

I wonder why he left home without his ID. Why the articles do not say where he was going or why? Did I miss that?

Sarx, do you have a link to a map handy? If not, I can look it up. Thanks.

"WE" had so much planned not "HE" had so much planned bugs me as well. (Paraphrased)

Here's the quote: “We just had too much planned out for him to leave.”

Not intimating anything, just looking at the words at face value and what is NOT said as well as what IS said. Brainstorming, if you will. The first thoughts that come to mind.
    Last edited by dsntslp; 04-13-2011 at 01:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sarx View Post
    The closest thing I see to a "cliff" is Overlook Park which is right in that same area.
    Yeah...but that's more of a hill or a slope. I guess you could say there are some "cliffs" along the river, if you follow it north past the college. But that seems too far away from the cell phone ping. I wonder how long he was on the phone with her? He could have conceivably walked north across the Maple Street bridge within 20 minutes. There is a cliff there near the dam/falls.

Last edited by KateB; 04-30-2015 at 05:09 PM. Reason: repair url tag.

Yeah, I don't exactly think of Spokane as having a lot of cliffs, the only thing I can think of is that it's all relative? I've got friends in Phoenix who talk about their "mountains" behind their house. Got there and was like "huh? Where are the mtns? Those aren't even what we call hills!" Maybe it's like that?

Well, hopefully there are just things missing in translation in the reporting but I do not think I would be or remain walking if spooked by a pit bull. Unless he called "after" he was spooked. The way it reads it sounds more like he was walking along (on the phone at the time) and was spooked and then described a cliff. Would he have time to describe the cliff before falling? Idk, it just does not sound right, to me anyway, sorry.

"Leighton Welch, 35, was walking in Spokane and talking on his cellphone to Michonda Weaver, his girlfriend of nearly four years. Weaver said he described a steep cliff, then said he’d been spooked by a pit bull in the area."

Quote Originally Posted by sarx View Post
    Yeah, I don't exactly think of Spokane as having a lot of cliffs, the only thing I can think of is that it's all relative? I've got friends in Phoenix who talk about their "mountains" behind their house. Got there and was like "huh? Where are the mtns? Those aren't even what we call hills!" Maybe it's like that?
    I grew up near and went to college near Spokane, and I wouldn't call them cliffs either, lol. But you're right. That doesn't mean anything.

The girlfriend said he was describing the cliff to her... I wonder if she was able to give the investigators a good description of what he said? There's so few possibilities of what it could be in that area...a description could narrow it down quite a bit, or eliminate the possibility entirely. Honestly the closest things I could think of were the cliff near the dam across the bridge, and some cliffs up closer to SFCC along the river. But if he was describing the cliff across Maple Street Bridge near the dam (the closer of the two) he would have said something about rushing water...

Quote Originally Posted by dsntslp View Post
    Well, hopefully there are just things missing in translation in the reporting but I do not think I would be or remain walking if spooked by a pit bull. Unless he called "after" he was spooked. The way it reads it sounds more like he was walking along and was spooked and then described a cliff. Would he have time to describe the cliff before falling? Idk, it just does not sound right, to me anyway, sorry.

"Leighton Welch, 35, was walking in Spokane and talking on his cellphone to Michonda Weaver, his girlfriend of nearly four years. Weaver said he described a steep cliff, then said he’d been spooked by a pit bull in the area."
    It really doesn't sound right to me, either, honestly. But I figured we could look at any possibilities of cliffs nearby. But ITA with you. You see a cliff, get scared by a dog, and tumble over... Seems like the perfect setup story to disappear (except for the glaring missing cliff).

Yes, cover ALL possibilities, always. I agree.

I think I just detest that mind has jumped to things that are suspicious so quickly.

She does not mention him being out of breath either in this phone call.
    Whether he ran or not, if spooked he would have an increased heart rate and breathing which would be easily heard on a cell phone right? Maybe...

It is what is missing in the articles that is bothering me.

Okay, back to my maps now.
    Last edited by dsntslp; 04-13-2011 at 02:05 AM.

Wait! (I was figuring float time here, apologies) He went missing march 28th and the first press is April 6th??? Why so long, I wonder. Maybe they had it on the local news or something? Did any Television stations report on this any sooner? (I'll check) Weird, IMO.

Nothing about search parties...?
    Last edited by dsntslp; 04-13-2011 at 02:17 AM.

Totally agree, btw, that it sounds very odd. Also worth mentioning that it was a high of 45 with .35 inches of rain that day.

At least she is being realistic in considering a relapse to his former drug lifestyle and 'cold feet'.
    I'm wondering if they found the cell phone he was talking on? Or just traced the pings?

Quote Originally Posted by dsntslp View Post
    Wait! (I was figuring float time here, apologies) He went missing march 28th and the first press is April 6th??? Why so long, I wonder. Maybe they had it on the local news or something? Did any Television stations report on this any sooner? (I'll check) Weird, IMO.

Nothing about search parties...?
    Nothing in the local news until April 6. Nope.

Regarding searches: "Weaver’s sister traveled from Moses Lake to help her search for Welch." and “We’ve been to every cliff we can think of, but most of them, you can’t see the bottom,” Weaver said. But nothing about official searches or LE sanctioned searches.

A little more about last seen location: "Welch told Weaver he was near Deaconess Medical Center about five minutes before the call abruptly ended. He’d left the family’s apartment in the 1800 block of West Ninth Avenue about 6:30 p.m., Weaver said. The phone call ended about 7:15 p.m."

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...rance-mystery/

There are definitely no cliffs near Deaconess. Again, unless he would have gone north across the Monroe Street Bridge this time, to the dam/falls area. Walking time would be about 5-10 minutes. Going to try to do a map of the locations.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast