FL-2 yr old served alcohol at Olive Garden

How many times does this same mistake have to happen before restaurants realize that you don't store alcoholic beverages and kid's juice in similar containers??

On the flip side, we'll probably see a lot more teens ordering juice with dinner. :rolleyes:

wait.... didn't this just happen the other day at applebees? get with it, restaurants!!! thank god the toddlers in these two stories weren't seriously harmed.

Folks need to taste their children's beverages before handing them over-- sad state of affairs. imo

now at Olive Garden? WTH is going on? Glad the error was realized and dealt with before ingestion but jeemanetly, what is the deal lately??

now at Olive Garden? WTH is going on? Glad the error was realized and dealt with before ingestion but jeemanetly, what is the deal lately??

I was just about to say the same thing!!!

Folks, just bring your own drinks for your kids from now on!! If they say anything to ya, just refer em to the news...

You'd actually be saving them $$ because the drink comes with the kids meal.

This is so scary, you would actually think that this mistake couldn't possible happen again, especially with Applebee's in the news...

If I didn't know better, I would assume that someone must have hated their job...

I thought this was the same thread, until I saw 2 y/o, instead of 15 month old.

Never, was this a worry that I had when taking my kids out to eat. I don't think I would usually order juice though. It's probably safer to order soda, or milk.

I am beginning to feel very fortunate that we are beyond broke and never go out to eat!!!! :innocent:

Seriously???????????????????
At least they realized and came to the table right away instead of the parent having to discover it.

http://www.abcactionnews.com/dpp/ne...e-garden-serves-alcohol-to-2-year-old-toddler

She said they told her instead of orange juice, they poured tropical sangria, which contains white wine, into Niko's cup.

I haven't worked in the restaurant industry for a little over a decade but by all appearances the last few incidents look to have been caused because the juice (which is used to make mixed drinks) and the premixed drinks offered that are made in the restaurant fresh usually daily and also include fresh juices are stored in the same type of restaurant container and the restaurant isn't using a way to clearly designate which is which.

I found a picture of what they usually look like. Most restaurants will order their bulk supplies from several large supply companies and the picture below illustrates the exact same bottles used that I personally saw. These were the only bottles I ever saw used in a 20+ career in the industry.

If you note they all look the same with the exception of size (which most restaurants will just order bulk of one size, easier to just combine pieces as the parts wear out and still have a working unit) and in particular the color of the spout.

Every restaurant that I have ever worked in will designate the contents of the plastic container by the color of the spout. It will vary from store to store or company to company.

How does this happen? The bartender is almost always in charge of dispensing juices because (s)he has them in the cooler and must access them their entire shift. Bartender also assists in controling cost because juice is a high cost per serving item.

1. The bartender is either in such a hurry that they forget to double check the color coding designated in that restaurant before pouring.

2. The person who filled the bottles that morning prior to opening inadvertently switched the tops to the bottles. (the spout you can either remove alone or the whole upper half of the bottle can be unscrewed).

3. The server didn't see the bartender so the server ducks behind the bar to serve him/herself instead of waiting for bartender to return.

4. Bartender brand new to that restaurant and to bartending and became overwhelmed during a rush and confused orders and bottles (not as likely as the others above)

JMHO.

How to fix?

Mark the freakin bottles.

1. Black sharpie works just fine. Big letters, both sides of bottle.

2. print and stick labels on both sides.

Easy easy easy fix. Instead of each and every chain restaurant in the USA having hear about these incidents on the news and trying to be individually proactive ----the corporate offices of the chain restaurants can issue a new requirement immediately to each and every one of their chains or franchises and VIOLA problem solved.

All JMHO.

Click for pic of bottle:
http://www.google.com/products/cata...=X&ei=XvSsTdnhBYnkiAK9przUDA&ved=0CFkQ8wIwAg#

ETA: One more thing, that would be easiest to ease your own minds. Just take a sip first of your childs drink. Especially if it is milk and not served in a closed container. The restaurant only has control of how the milk is stored once it gets there. Transport can sometimes spoil the milk from temp changes even though it's well before the expiration date. Trust me, you don't want a server to sample your child's drink. LOL (just kidding).

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back