980 users online (213 members and 767 guests)  

Websleuths News

Yale Student dies when hair gets caught in machinery

Just my opinion, of course.

I think this is so sad and terrible and I feel for her family, however this highlights absolutely that machinery is no joke...jewellry should always be removed prior to use, no loose clothing, and hair always ALWAYS kept up.

Quote Originally Posted by 2goldfish View Post
    I think this is so sad and terrible and I feel for her family, however this highlights absolutely that machinery is no joke...jewellry should always be removed prior to use, no loose clothing, and hair always ALWAYS kept up.
    Oh my, yes! My ex used to work in that type of industrial setting.

Once he saw a coworker standing near some machinery with his shirt not tucked in. He told him, he better get his shirt tucked in because it was too loose. Just as the words came out of his mouth, the guy's shirt-tail went into the machinery. The guy was just in shock, because in less than a second he was standing there topless. He was lucky that his shirt was just pulled in, and not any part of him.

He never witnessed it happening, but there were also stories of girl getting scalped at the plant. If long hair goes in, it can take the scalp along with it.

Thinking about this, it makes me glad I'm headed to an office today!
    I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it left.

Wow, she was brilliant-- but lacked common sense. What a horrible tragedy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuffy View Post

Thinking about this, it makes me glad I'm headed to an office today!
    I have long-ish hair (shoulder length now, but I recently chopped off about a good ten inches). A few years back, I leaned over a paper shredder at my office, my hair hit the paper shredder (which was on auto-start), and it started! I've never jumped so high in my life (no, nothing got caught). I'm now always very careful to pull my hair back before operating a shredder.

http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/shredder.asp

In Pennsylvania, but wishing she was some place else.
    This is such a sad story. What a brillant young lady. I would think she would of known to pull back her hair. Maybe Yale needs to start following better safety procedures.

This happened at a place that I worked at. A young woman climbed under a conveyor belt. Her hair got caught and it ripped out a patch about the size of a dollar bill. Scary stuff.

Why was she working with the equipment without others around? Does the facility allow independent work in this way or was she doing so against policy? I wonder if her life could have been saved had there been somebody nearby to turn off the equipment and assist.

Off topic, but related. When I was a little kid, the toe of my rubber rain boot got stuck in the top of the escalator (I must of dragged my feet when stepping off). My mom held on to me and pulled, and thankfully the tip of the rubber boot ripped off and allowed me to go free. Years later, a friend of mine had the rubber tip of her sneaker get caught in the escalator as she tried to step off. Same thing happened and she was able to free herself when the tip of her sneaker ripped off. Her toes were bruised, but intact.

These kind of accidents can happen-- whether in a work situation or just in a personal one -- like shopping with your mom. Workers (students or hired employees) should be taught how to use equipment safely and properly and should never operate equipment while alone. Bless this poor girl-- I hope she did not suffer too much.