What do you think of the title?: "The Casey Anthony Case"

Status
Not open for further replies.

eileenhawkeye

Reaction score
I was looking at all the local Orlando media websites and I noticed that almost all of them have a section dedicated to this case and they all have named the section, "Casey Anthony" or "Casey Anthony Case". What does everyone think about this? In a way, I would prefer if they called the section "Caylee Anthony" or "Caylee Anthony Case" because it keeps the focus on the victim. It is like how it was called the "OJ Simpson Case" not the "Nicole Brown Simpson and Ron Goldman Case". I just wonder about how the title "Casey Anthony Case" will affect the media's reporting during the trial and afterwards. Are books written after the trial going to have Casey on the cover instead of Caylee? Remember when OJ was on the cover of Time magazine; not Ron or Nicole? In Natalee Holloway's case, even though Joran is the main suspect, no one calls it the "Joran Van Der Sloot case" so I wonder why the media focus is different in this case?

Sad, isn't it? Lovely little cult of personality the media is assisting in perpetuating eh?

Thanks for asking that question, I was just talking last night to my boyfriend about that very thing. Whenever I bring it up to people, whether I'm asking someone for the first time if they've followed the story, or telling my sister highlights of the days' news (as she only follows through what I tell her), I NEVER refer to it as "Casey", only ever as Caylee. And it only occurred to me last night that people are calling it the Casey Anthony Murder Trial. It wasn't Casey that was murdered so that confuses me, and I feel so much in my heart for Caylee that it confuses me even more.

On the other hand, I've always said "the Manson trials" in conjunction with "the Tate-LaBianca murders", so I am maybe just confusing myself.

Good question, looking forward to bright people's thoughts on this!

I've always hated that they do that.

We also have the Drew Peterson Case, Scott Peterson Case....etc.... They always seem to foget the victims.

I was looking at all the local Orlando media websites and I noticed that almost all of them have a section dedicated to this case and they all have named the section, "Casey Anthony" or "Casey Anthony Case". What does everyone think about this? In a way, I would prefer if they called the section "Caylee Anthony" or "Caylee Anthony Case" because it keeps the focus on the victim. It is like how it was called the "OJ Simpson Case" not the "Nicole Brown Simpson and Ron Goldman Case". I just wonder about how the title "Casey Anthony Case" will affect the media's reporting during the trial and afterwards. Are books written after the trial going to have Casey on the cover instead of Caylee? Remember when OJ was on the cover of Time magazine; not Ron or Nicole? In Natalee Holloway's case, even though Joran is the main suspect, no one calls it the "Joran Van Der Sloot case" so I wonder why the media focus is different in this case?

I agree wholeheartedly - it's NOT the ICA case - it's definitely all about Caylee. The media is just cashing in on the murder of an innocent child by sensationalizing her bio mother. Very sad, indeed. :banghead::banghead:

Personally, I think it's appropriate. Casey is the one on trial. I think the victim's name shouldn't be used as the name of the trial, in case there are others, if that makes. I.e., If (just for the sake of argument), ICA was found not guilty and they tried someone else, they couldn't use the same nickname for both trials, KWIM?

But, in less pedantic terms, I really don't consider leaving Caylee's name off the coverage of the trial in any way forgetting about her - rather, I consider it leaving the poor child out of the mess that adults created and are working to get cleared up.

ETA: IOW, Caylee's name is better left off of her mother's circus, IMHO.

Personally, I think it's appropriate. Casey is the one on trial. I think the victim's name shouldn't be used as the name of the trial, in case there are others, if that makes. I.e., If (just for the sake of argument), ICA was found not guilty and they tried someone else, they couldn't use the same nickname for both trials, KWIM?

But, in less pedantic terms, I really don't consider leaving Caylee's name off the coverage of the trial in any way forgetting about her - rather, I consider it leaving the poor child out of the mess that adults created and are working to get cleared up.

ETA: Caylee's name is better left out of her mother's circus, IMHO.

Yes, gotta agree here. We are reading information about the arrest, evidence, trial and soon the sentencing of Casey on the charges of murdering her Daughter Caylee Marie.

It is ICA who is the Defendant is this case - the trial is about the prosecution process of these crimes against the victim - Caylee.

I have no doubt Caylee will be front and center through out this trial.

I don't pay much mind - just don't call it Tot Mom. 1) Caylee Marie should be referred to as Caylee Marie (and not Tot), and 2) Caysey Anthony was in no way shape or form a Mom.

I hear ya ducky, it just bothers me to hear it referred to as the Casey Anthony Case. The case is little Caylee and her murder. Now if they want to call it the Casey Anthony Trial okay, that is accurate. But something about it being called the "her" case really bugs me. I wish I could explain it.

No matter, the press call things what they call things, I am not ready to march on the media over it. As long as they cover the case, by whatever name.

It is annoying to me too.

Worse, are the headlines - "Casey" entering court (or whatever).

As if she's a celebrity. Not even a last name.

I never really noticed - but you're right. Looking back at Scott Peterson, didn't the media refer to him as Peterson (vs. Scott)?

Mel

The style of the case is "St. of FL v Casey Anthony" therefore "The Casey Anthony Case".

Caylee did nothing wrong and the State is not pursuing charges against her (obviously) so there is no Caylee Anthony case.

I do understand why it bugs some though.

I call it the Caylee case when talking amongst friends but refer to it as the Casey Anthony case in more formal circles.

IMO, the press has it correct.

the case is the murder, the case is what was done to Caylee, not who done it. The trial is the Casey Anthony Murder Trial. I will always see the case as the Caylee Marie Anthony Murder Case.

No matter, the short answer to the question in the OP is, yes it bothers me but as long as they are covering the case I will not complain too vigorously.

ITA! The other day I saw a clip of some morning show and they talked about Lindsey Lohan's appearance in court and then went on to compare it to Caseys. :banghead: This is exactly what gets ICA up in the morning. She believes she's a celebrity and she sort of is. I see it more like one of these hot mess superficial train wrecks. I'm waiting for the day she does a crotch flash in court. Sadly the more the media makes this all about Casey the more she gets her way.

I can understand calling it the, "Casey Anthony Trial" but when a news station has an entire section on their website simply called, "Casey Anthony", that seems to be putting the attention on Casey instead of Caylee. It's just interesting to me why some cases become more victim-centric and others become more killer-centric in the media. My guess is that in some cases, the media can find more sensational aspects revolving around the killer (look at how well known serial killers are compared to their victims) so they put the killer front and center.

When WFTV is on they refer to it as "In the Case Against Casey"

the case is the murder, the case is what was done to Caylee, not who done it. The trial is the Casey Anthony Murder Trial. I will always see the case as the Caylee Marie Anthony Murder Case.

No matter, the short answer to the question in the OP is, yes it bothers me but as long as they are covering the case I will not complain too vigorously.

B&RBM: I agree.

In my opinion, the MSM should call it just what you posted here:the Caylee Marie Anthony Murder Case

It's about Caylee -- the victim.

Except that, sadly, years from now when people want to research this case most will enter "Casey Anthony" in their search bars, not "Caylee Anthony".

Not only from a legal standpoint but also for the sake of brevity and cohesiveness it makes sense.

Except that, sadly, years from now when people want to research this case most will enter "Casey Anthony" in their search bars, not "Caylee Anthony".

Not only from a legal standpoint but also for the sake of brevity and cohesiveness it makes sense.

Sadly, you're probably right but the reason for it will be because of how the media refers to the case. If the media keeps calling it the "Casey Anthony case" that will be the title that gets engraved in our minds. Look at the 48 Hours title: "What Casey Knows". I'm sure that there will be books written after the trial and I wouldn't be surprised if some of them have Casey on the cover and/or have her name in the title.

The way I see it is the tragic story behind the case is about Caylee, but the legal case is against Casey Anthony.
So no, it doesn't really bother me.
What does bother me is despite it being reinforced a gazillion times, it still doesn't seem to have clicked with ICA that she is on trial for murder....Instead she acts like she's got a fabulous new career in the legal field. :rolleyes: :banghead:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni