FL - mom punches caseworker and bolts with 5 children

Bad decision on the caseworker's part. I can't be behind mom tho. That CPS worker was there for some reason. The caseworker should have had cops there to supervise the handover if this was a planned removal. Poor judgment for the worker not to have. If mom doubted the kids should be taken or thought CPS had no right she should have called the cops herself not beat some social worker!

MOO, there was some sort of justification for removal, at least temporarily. The fact that the mom attacked the worker simply upon being informed of the worker's intention to remove the children says to me, anger control issues.

from the link in OP

Alleyne-Babb was reportedly greeted by Atkins, who became enraged when Alleyne-Babb informed her she would be taking her children away and proceeded to attack the case worker.

Oh i'm not supporting the mom laying a hand on the caseworker! That wasn't right. YOu're right she was there for some reason. It's just that anytime i've witnessed a removal there has been police with the worker.

I've heard, anecdotally, that LE are so short-handed right now that many workers are removing children by themselves. Never a smart move as it's such a tremendously charged atmosphere.

Even though I can relate to the mother's fury and confusion, this won't look good to the judge. I've learned, with DHS, that one must always comport oneself with grace and take names and notes.

Weirdly enough, I think a lot of people would just hand over their kids. I am with you though. If anyone showed up at my door saying they were taking my kids I would call the cops and insist on seeing the warrant or hearing the probable cause.

Sorry I mistook your post. I figured you were seeing it as in a mama bear protecting her cubs from a danger. I think this woman was stupid and violent to attack the social worker. Stupid and violent does not make me feel good about those kids, hope they are alright.

I've heard, anecdotally, that LE are so short-handed right now that many workers are removing children by themselves. Never a smart move as it's such a tremendously charged atmosphere.

Even though I can relate to the mother's fury and confusion, this won't look good to the judge. I've learned, with DHS, that one must always comport oneself with grace and take names and notes.

BBM yuh huh *nods

If some woman just "informed" me that she would be taking my kids, I would punch them and run too. Now, provide me with a warrant and inform me that they will be removed, when my court date is, give the parenting time filing papers and have an agent of the law remove my children, then it's a different story. But a CPS worker, at lest here, cannot remove a child without police assistance, as they are not deputized or agents of the law, and are not allowed to interfere in child custody, even with a warrant. The police have to take the child into custody and then turn them over to the care of the state. I don't care who you are, or what a plastic badge clamped to your shirt says, tell me you will take my kids, and getting punched is the least of your concerns.

If there are parts left out of the articles, that's one thing, But, if the worker was acting without appropriate paperwork and outside of the proper procedures, I support the mother's decision, for I would have done the same.

There are cases where abductors have POSED as DCF workers.

No LE and no warrant (Was there one? Signed by a Judge?) They would not get my children either.

Punching the worker, wrong, unless the worker had no warrant and was trying to physically take the children. She should have called LE herself, I agree. But did she have time? Five children would be hard to load up fast...depending on how old they are.

Sounds like it was just a bad scene for the children all the way around.

I think I'll wait for more facts to come out before I try to formulate an opinion on this one. I know how slanted LE and the press both can be.

The article makes no mention of a warrant so I have no idea whether the CPS person had a warrant or not. Unless otherwise informed I must believe the worker was there for cause and had taken the appropriate steps (paperwork, ducks in a row, etc.) and that this mother simply wigged out.

Now if it is ever mentioned in the media coverage that the worker was not within the law then I may be more sympathetic. For all I know, she may have had all the proper documents and was willing to sit down and explain to mom what happens next, what her rights were, etc.

To me, it reads as if the social worker said she was going to be removing the children and BAM the beating commenced.

I guess I will wait and see what else comes out on this one before commenting further.

Without LE the warrant is not valid is it? Improper service?

Are DCF workers "Officers of The Court" in that capacity?

Gonna' see what I can find in Fl Statutes about it.
(Ohhhh....Reminds me, I had another one to look up (different case) in older hardback FL Statutes (prior years), so I may not be back with it for a bit if someone else finds it please post.)

:)

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/STATUTES/

I'm thinking that this had already been settled through court and the SW was just there to pick them up.

Otherwise, it makes no sense.

I heard about this the other day. I can't make an informed decision until I see more details and/or facts.

Remember - this is in Dade County (Miami) - remember Nubia Barahona? That DCF worker should be charged. I've personally seen DCF workers just "not like" the parent and, on that, snatch the kids.

Mom wasn't right in punching the worker - but then again, without more info I can't say she was wrong either.

Police said the DCF worker went to a home along Northwest Sixth Street, where Atkins had been staying, on April 8 with specific orders: "To remove five children that she believes needs to be removed from the mother's custody," said Miami-Dade Police Department spokesperson Kenia Reyes.

(Not seeing the words COURT order, just order...big difference. Also "That she believes"...Did the court believe the same and was that in writing?)

Atkins' aunt said the case worker grabbed Atkins first and she reacted. "She grabbed her, and however she grabbed her, I guess, that person just snaps, and that's what happened," said Shanquan Harris.

(If the worker laid her hands on the mother first, is that not assault, and then self defense on the mothers part?)

"There is a pick-up order for mom. We are concerned for their safety," added Valdes-Valle.

(This is not the same as an arrest warrant. So I feel there is more to this story or it would be an AW. MOO.)

According to sources, the mother was homeless and DCF wanted her to check into a homeless shelter, but the mother refused.

(Once again, they wanted her to, but there is no word that there is a court order on file ordering her to or lose her kids.)

Article snippets from: http://www.wsvn.com/news/articles/local/21004044762949/

Police said the DCF worker went to a home along Northwest Sixth Street, where Atkins had been staying, on April 8 with specific orders: "To remove five children that she believes needs to be removed from the mother's custody," said Miami-Dade Police Department spokesperson Kenia Reyes.

(Not seeing the words COURT order, just order...big difference. Also "That she believes"...Did the court believe the same and was that in writing?)

Atkins' aunt said the case worker grabbed Atkins first and she reacted. "She grabbed her, and however she grabbed her, I guess, that person just snaps, and that's what happened," said Shanquan Harris.

(If the worker laid her hands on the mother first, is that not assault, and then self defense on the mothers part?)

"There is a pick-up order for mom. We are concerned for their safety," added Valdes-Valle.

(This is not the same as an arrest warrant. So I feel there is more to this story or it would be an AW. MOO.)

According to sources, the mother was homeless and DCF wanted her to check into a homeless shelter, but the mother refused.

(Once again, they wanted her to, but there is no word that there is a court order on file ordering her to or lose her kids.)

Article snippets from: http://www.wsvn.com/news/articles/local/21004044762949/
Ah, so mom and the kids are homeless. DCF wanted her to "check in" at a homeless shelter. (Do you know how many RSO's are in these "shelters" down here?) This "worker" "believed" the kids should be removed BECAUSE mom wasn't going to follow THEIR ORDERS!

At least that's what it sounds like to me not my kids. I'll watch out for any "updates" on this story. If DCF is wrong - we won't hear a word. If mom has somewhere to stay with the kids - then what's wrong with that? So, let's just watch and see.

I, too, want to watch this case to see what develops. There has not been an AA or even a missing child alert issued. Which makes me think there was no court order for DCF to take custody of the kids. And, WTH would they want her to go to a homeless shelter if she had a place to stay????

I, too, want to watch this case to see what develops. There has not been an AA or even a missing child alert issued. Which makes me think there was no court order for DCF to take custody of the kids. And, WTH would they want her to go to a homeless shelter if she had a place to stay????
Very simple Daisy.................

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

IF DCF has the kids in custody then they get $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. IFDCF can get an "open case" or even an "investigation" on this family - then they get $$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

DCF is NOTHING about the kids and EVERYTHING about the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

That's fact. I've seen it many, many, many times.

DCF does get $ when they take a child into custody to pay for their care (and pay foster parents for their care), but I don't believe they receive any additional $ just for an open investigation.

DCF does get $ when they take a child into custody to pay for their care (and pay foster parents for their care), but I don't believe they receive any additional $ just for an open investigation.
well sure they do - the $$$$ isn't tied "specifically" to a case, or an investigation. Its in the numbers - if a particular DCF office files XXXX number of cases (and/or investigations) each year - then their "funding" is based on that number. The higher the number - the more funding.

Its all about the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Yes, they do. They recieve federal subsidies for every parenting class they provide, every bus pass they give, every job training program they force a parent into, every single service that they recommend brings them federal money, as well getting more money on an overall basis for having higher numbers of kids in state ordered programs.

If she does not step forward or call the court herself then they will issue the order to remove her kids.

It doesnt seem as if they have that now because the judge had to sign off on releasing them as missing. Which is wrong. DCF needs to step away from the case and let the police handle it ,if the children are in Danger than the police should remove them ,The DSF worker should be suspended until an investigation into her actions is complete and should not advise of past or future events in this case ever.

23 and all her children are young, I dont know but it does seems DCF targets younger parents and with all her children being great ages for placement I do feel for her.
I bet it all comes down to the size of the family living in the house. So they want her kids in a shelter. IMO the worker could have been trying to scare her into moving into the shelter and putting herself in a worse place without family support.

I honestly think I would punch a DCF worker if they put their hands on me after telling me they were taking my kids. Actualy I know I would.Not that it is right,but I know me and I would if it occured to me,she wouldnt have taken my kids either.

All the awful FL DCF stories and there are many No way would I let my kids go into that unsafe abusive system. DCF should be facing charges related to crimes agaisnt children.

The sheriffs dept should open cases with DCF not DCF itself. I have grand dreams of LE getting to know its community and it true problems not its conviction rates.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back