GUILTY PA - Heath Ryder, 10 mos, dies at day care, Franklin County, 29 July 2010

peeples

Reaction score
:( So sad!!!!!

http://www.abc27.com/story/14456857...irl-10-criminally-responsible-for-babys-death

death of 10-month-old Heath Ryder, who died at Penn State Hershey Medical Center four days after suffering injuries July 29 at the home day care operated by Dottie Bowers.

Jurors recommended a charge of involuntary manslaughter against Bowers and a charge of third-degree murder against the 10-year-old, who is accused of shaking and tossing the baby.

What a sad story. You know, Peeples, I was just looking over some changes to the Oregon law concerning "abuse reporting" which is different than a background check. I was struck by how all the children (bio, foster, adoptive, informally placed, and so on) in a foster or care home who are under the age of 16 are exempt from any "abuse report" check or background check. I had to go back and read it again. So many things are being tightened up (which I really support) but to me, that's a huge gaping hole.

We've seen so many cases where a child harmed another. Somehow, we need to find an appropriate way to have any founded reports of abuse follow a child and not get swept under a rug.

Such a sad, sad story..... I do hope justice is served, as well as help for the 10 yr old.... And the other children that were present at the time of this babies abuse.

I'm going to have to wait for a little more. There's no way that I can demonize a ten year old for throwing or shaking a baby. Not until I see something saying that the ten year old was aware of the consequences. Is there anything like that out there in the media? I'm just trying to form a better opinion and I'm going to have to know something about intent in order to do that.

snipped from article above:

Heath's mother, Sherry Ryder, told jurors that she made the emergency call after Bowers ignored her pleas. She said she was on her way home from work when Bowers phoned to say Heath would not wake up and was breathing abnormally. She said she rushed to the home to find her son limp and lifeless, and called 911 while she performed CPR.

I think I would have strangled this lady when I got to her, this baby could have been saved if she had called 911 as soon as she noticed something wrong!

more info

http://www.abc27.com/story/14540125...against-babysitter-and-girl-10-in-babys-death

Pa. Prosecutor approves charges against babysitter and girl, 10, in baby's death

It was determined during a hearing Friday that girl will be tried in juvenile court rather than in adult criminal court. Fogal said she will be tried as a delinquent, however, meaning if convicted she could face time in a juvenile detention center.

From April 2012:

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2012/04/family_of_10-month-old_killed.html

Dottie Bowers, the 57-year-old woman who was 10-month-old Heath’s caregiver on the day of his death, was sentenced to 6 to 23 months in prison for child endangerment...

Bowers was watching Heath and other children... when a 9-year-old girl allegedly hurled the baby into his crib so hard he suffered a brain injury and died... According to police reports, Bowers never called 911 after finding that Heath was breathing oddly in his crib...

The unidentified girl was charged with third-degree murder. Her case is moving through the county’s juvenile court system and is closed to the public. Fogal would only say it was “ongoing.”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amberraff
Back