1131 users online (188 members and 943 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Angry FL - man pummels wife in front of judge during divorce court hearing

Florida man pummels wife in front of judge during divorce court hearing; attack was 'true vengeance'
    Monday, April 18th 2011, 2:11 PM

A crazed ex-Marine was arrested for viciously beating his wife in front of a judge during divorce court hearing in Florida.

Paul Henry Gonzalez Jr., 28, was subdued with a stun gun after he choked Catherine Ann Scott-Gonzalez, 23, and repeatedly hit her in the face during the brutal attack in a Broward County judge's chambers.

"He was punching with a true vengeance. It was vicious," Michael Dunleavy, the woman's lawyer, told the South Florida Sun-Sentinel. "He was in a rage."

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati..._attack_w.html
    What lies behind you and what lies in front of you pales in comparison to what lies inside of you....
    Ralph Waldo Emerson ~

Man attacks wife during divorce hearing in judge's chambers
    Bond set at $1 million on Saturday

SNIPPED........................................

Dunleavy said Gonzalez, who did not have an attorney, balked at paying child support and having a judge tell him when he could or couldn't visit his children and stormed out of the chambers. He returned to shout something about not obeying any orders, Dunleavy said, and again retreated.

Gonzalez raced back in, and "without provocation" began pummeling Scott with closed fists, according to a police report.

Gonzalez rushed Scott from behind, grabbed her by the neck and repeatedly hit her on the side of her face. The first blow knocked her unconscious, Worsencroft, the boyfriend, said

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/201...n-attacks-wife
    What lies behind you and what lies in front of you pales in comparison to what lies inside of you....
    Ralph Waldo Emerson ~

Scott-Gonzalez, also an ex-Marine, was taken to a hospital with a broken nose, broken bones in her face and a torn lip, her boyfriend, Brennan Worsencroft, told the paper.

Doctors were checking for brain trauma, but she was in stable condition, the boyfriend said.
    Whoa....he could have killed her right there in the Judges chambers...I do hope this Judge issued an automatic order of protection to keep him away from this woman and also his children...It appears he's that loose cannon, who knows what else he'd be capable of....Glad the woman survived...JMHO

Justice for All

Its horrible what happened to this woman. I was always afraid my ex would fly off the handle like this too. One time he lashed out and called me horrible words I can not put here right in front of our mediator. The mediators mouth was on the floor.

I hope this woman heals quickly and this man never see the light of day for quite sometime....
    Ralph Waldo Emerson ~

Wow! He's more than a loose cannon. He lost it already when he was in that courtroom and proceeded to beat the heck out of his soon-to-be-ex. wife. I truly hope he's able to get help for whatever his issues are. I pray for the mothers and childrens safety and well being. I can't imagine what it was like to live with someone like this.

My guess is he's not done and i would suggest supervised visitation IF he gets any visitation... I'm thinking of the Skelton boys.... he's likely to punish the ex by doing something to the kids......

If he actually makes it out of jail with a million dollar bond.

I saw a similar situation unfold once in probate court. The bailiffs where I was were far quicker-he was cuffed after the first punch.

All of that aside, I hope and pray he is tried for attempted murder.
    email me

Long Lost Love: The Bob Harrod Story Disappeared/ID Network
    Amazon: Purchase Long Lost Love $1.99

Bob Harrod SAR

“The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them.”
    ― Maya Angelou

Oh man - I hope she gets far, far away from this guy! If he would do that in court, he will kill her, given half a chance, IMO.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/04/19/....html?iref=NS1

..."My lawyer was sitting right next to me, which thank God he was, because he literally saved my life," said Scott-Gonzalez.

Dunleavy said he just reacted by restraining Gonzalez. when he saw his client being hit repeatedly.

Dunleavy said the judge hit a panic button and several deputies converged on the room, subduing and arresting Gonzalez.

Gonzalez has been charged with a felony battery resulting in great bodily harm, and resisting arrest. He is currently being held in a Broward County jail on $1 million bond and could not be reached Tuesday.

That is a bond high enough for Scott-Gonzalez to feel safe, for now...

This guy has to be charged with attempted murder and convicted or he will kill this woman. I'm just not sure the sentence for attempted murder will be long enough for her to be safe.

Why do people get a lesser sentence for being bad at killing someone?

[QUOTE=Steely Dan;6363346]http://www.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/04/19/....html?iref=NS1

..."My lawyer was sitting right next to me, which thank God he was, because he literally saved my life," said Scott-Gonzalez.

Dunleavy said he just reacted by restraining Gonzalez. when he saw his client being hit repeatedly.

Dunleavy said the judge hit a panic button and several deputies converged on the room, subduing and arresting Gonzalez.

Gonzalez has been charged with a felony battery resulting in great bodily harm, and resisting arrest. He is currently being held in a Broward County jail on $1 million bond and could not be reached Tuesday.

This guy has to be charged with attempted murder and convicted or he will kill this woman. I'm just not sure the sentence for attempted murder will be long enough for her to be safe.

"Why do people get a lesser sentence for being bad at killing someone?"[/QUOTE]

That is truly a good question, Steely.

Quote Originally Posted by mysticrose View Post
    Florida man pummels wife in front of judge during divorce court hearing; attack was 'true vengeance'
    Monday, April 18th 2011, 2:11 PM

A crazed ex-Marine was arrested for viciously beating his wife in front of a judge during divorce court hearing in Florida.

Paul Henry Gonzalez Jr., 28, was subdued with a stun gun after he choked Catherine Ann Scott-Gonzalez, 23, and repeatedly hit her in the face during the brutal attack in a Broward County judge's chambers.

"He was punching with a true vengeance. It was vicious," Michael Dunleavy, the woman's lawyer, told the South Florida Sun-Sentinel. "He was in a rage."

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati..._attack_w.html
    If this animal can do this in front of a judge, he will not hesitate to harm the children and kill her.

Wow, she really took a beating.

It's interesting she states she previously applied for TWO restraining orders and the applications were denied. I know it is not relevant to this incident, but it is telling.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownRice View Post
    Wow, she really took a beating.

It's interesting she states she previously applied for TWO restraining orders and the applications were denied. I know it is not relevant to this incident, but it is telling.

I think it's VERY relevant and telling. It's a sad day when a abused woman musters the strength and bravery required to leave and formaly ask for help and protection from her abuser and is denied. THAT needs to change.

That woman needs Krav Maga training, gun training and a permit to carry it all times. Obviously, she can't count on the law to protect her.

Nosy by Nature and a Websleuther by choice

Sick! If he does that in front of a judge, what would he do in the privacy of a home?

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
    http://www.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/04/19/....html?iref=NS1

Why do people get a lesser sentence for being bad at killing someone?
    From the link:

A bailiff was not in the room at the time. The judge said if he had had any indication that Gonzalez was violent, he would have had security in his chambers. Scott-Gonzalez said in the past, she had twice sought restraining orders against her estranged husband but both attempts had been denied.
    I would love to know the cirmcumstances of her previous attempts to get restraining orders. To me this is very telling of the attitude of the court. She applies not once, but twice to get the restraining order and is denied. But the judge saw no danger in this application. No need for added security, no violence. IOW he totally ignored the fact that in the past this woman felt the need to apply twice for a restraining order.

This is why so many women feel so helpless. They try, they apply for restraining orders, they try to leave. But their needs are ignored, their feel their words are ignored in the courtroom. Had this not happened in the courtroom, with lots of legal witnesses it would have been just like it never happened.

IMO this was one lucky woman. Yes she got beat bad enough to be sent to the hospital. But only because this man was so out of control that he couldn't wait until they left the courtroom. Had he waited til they left, he would have killed her before his rage would have been satisfied. And he would have done it before any help could have gotten to her. Likely the boyfriend and maybe even the kids would have died to.

Hopefully (but probably not) the court will look at their attitudes toward DV, toward protecting women in violent relationships, and their need for protection during stressful situations like going through court procedures.

I do wonder if he served in combat, and how long ago that was. There is a trend that men who serve in combat, have less impulse control and more agression and rage when they try to reassimilate into civilan life. Seems to be more DV, child abuse and other violence. Often there is untreated PTSD involved.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast