UK MOM died a year ago, little ones don't know yet

Could be since they are so young they couldn't understand or grasp the reality of loosing their mother...

Also one of the twins inherited this gene..

But it is a hormone-based illness and being a male, it will be easier to stay on top of the illness because he will never be pregnant, so there will never be that gap when it is dangerous to expose the patient to scans and radiation.

Also shameful is this woman was denied a drug that could have spared her life or at least gave her more time to live...

I pray for this family...:praying:

IMO, it's never a good idea to hide the death of a parent to a child(ren). According to the article one of the children seems to know mommy isn't here anymore. It seems that the father only answered "no" and had no further discussion about it.

How did they handle the wake and funeral? Did he leave the children with a sitter or family member? Just rhetorical questions floating through my mind.

As hard as it may be - honesty is always the best. I would hate for his children to resent their father late in life because they weren't afforded a proper goodbye to their mother. Very sad story no matter which way you look at it.

It looks like the father is working with a grief counselor so I'm glad to read that. As a child I had a friend who had lost her mother. Her family wasn't particularly religious so there was no talk about heaven. But, my sweet little friend always felt her mothers presence whenever she saw a butterfly. They shared a love of butterflies.

It's going to be a difficult talk he has to have with his sons. It's totally necessary. They need to know even if mama isn't here on earth with them, she's always in their hearts.

I hate to be spammy on this topic. This story made me think of the mother on Oprah who in her last days suffering from cancer had made videos to her children. Teaching them life lessons she wouldn't be around for. Things like makeup and boyfriends. All those little things that are big when we're kids. I hope this mom was able to write some letters or something to her boys. It would be something they could cherish forever.

The fact that the life extending medication was not able to be prescribed is due to the scandalous way that our NHS is administrated.
Beware US you will end up in the same position if you follow us. My brother died, yes, DIED, at the age of 40 because he was not prescribed drugs that would have treated his renal cancer, this was purely for financial reasons.
I could open a whole new thread on this but that is by the by.

The father is clearly caught up in his grief and I am glad that he is getting emotional help.
IMHO children, however young, need to know the truth in age appropriate language and the longer you leave it, the harder it will be. I have taken both my children to funerals of people they have been close to, lots of difficult questions yes but I don't believe in secrets. JMHO

they're three - he needs to tell them something IMO

He's going to be talking to a grief counselor, so hopefully the counselor can help guide him on how to break it to the children. I can't find fault with the father... he's obviously having a hard go at dealing with all of this. Yes, the kids need to know and thank goodness he isn't being stubborn about it and flat out refusing to tell them... he just needs guidance.

Not to be disrespectful - but did I read correctly? They were in the process of selling their 500,000 pound house to pay for 100 pound/ day treatments?

A very sad story. Hopefully they're getting lots of help.

Having been told that one of the boys has the same gene, I’m not letting anyone know which twin it is because I don’t want people to treat them differently.
‘The only person who knows is my brother – just in case something happens to me.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...herits-gene-caused-illness.html#ixzz1LwT4YEtU

I'm not sure why the results of medical tests of minors are published in Daily Mail, never mind they're not telling which twin is which. Why does the world need to know?

A very sad story. Hopefully they're getting lots of help.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...herits-gene-caused-illness.html#ixzz1LwT4YEtU

I'm not sure why the results of medical tests of minors are published in Daily Mail, never mind they're not telling which twin is which. Why does the world need to know?

Seems that the world knows a whole lot that these kids should know. I don't know at what age you tell a child that they may have a serious illness, but I can't see, in good conscience keeping news of a parent's death from a child of any age.

I lost my grandpa when I was in second grade. My mom and dad got the call, and told my older sister. They didn't tell me until the next day. My sister said they weren't sure if they should tell me yet. At that age, I understood death, and what it meant. I was very hurt that I wasn't deemed 'old' enough to know that.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back