*advertiser censored* company amassing 1-800 numbers for $$$

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
AP IMPACT: *advertiser censored* company is amassing 1-800 numbers
NEW YORK (AP) — For years, teenagers across the U.S. could call a toll-free hotline if they had embarrassing questions about AIDS and safe sex. Dial the same number now and you get a recording of giggling women offering to talk dirty to you.

"We both have big appetites for sex," they purr. "Pinch us and poke us. Spank us and tease us. We love it all. ... Enter your credit card number now."

Those naughty misdials, and countless others like them, appear to be no accident.
I think the word "insidious" might enter the conversation here.
Records obtained by The Associated Press show that over the past 13 years, a little-known Philadelphia company called PrimeTel Communications has quietly gained control over nearly a quarter of all the 1-800 numbers in the U.S. and Canada, often by grabbing them the moment they are relinquished by previous users. As of March, it administered more 800 numbers than any other company, including Verizon and AT&T.
Yes, insidious - good word for it.
Dial 1-800-Chicago and instead of reaching a tourism hotline for the Windy City, you will hear a woman offering "one-on-one talk with a nasty girl" for $2.99 per minute. A similar thing happens if you punch in the initial digits of 1-800-Metallica, 1-800-Cadillac, 1-800-Minolta, 1-800-Cameras, 1-800-Worship or 1-800-Whirlpool.

Much more - lengthy article - at AP link above.

I can't even come up with words for this. It's one thing for an adult who seeks these types of services. It's another for a teen who needs someone to talk to about their sexuality or the elderly person who just needs help with the warranty on their refrigerator.

Eeek.. just eeeek.

Oddly similar, I went to visit a long established "Poole Pottery" link yesterday only to find myself on a Chinese *advertiser censored* site full of pop ups that made one gasp and stretch ones eyes:pullhair::pullhair:
These *advertiser censored* merchants will stop at nothing

I remember when domain names went the same way, but 1-800 numbers? Seems a little archaic if you ask me. Maybe they are trying to reach the elderly? Tacky.

Thanks.

Reached a few of them when dialing an 800 number that was no longer the number it once was. Very amusing.. :maddening:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melladanielle
Back