wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
T.S. Eliot's famous lines, which open his poem The Waste Land:

April is the cruellest month, breeding
Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
Memory and desire, stirring
Dull roots with spring rain.

What is it about mid-April and violence in America? (CNN)
(CNN) -- Mid-April marks the anniversaries of several horrendous attacks in recent U.S. history:

-- April 19, 1993: the FBI's siege of the Waco compound leaves 76 dead.

-- April 19, 1995: the bombing of a federal building in Oklahoma City kills 168 people.

-- April 20, 1999: A mass shooting at Columbine High School leaves 15 dead.

-- April 16, 2007: The Virginia Tech massacre kills 33.
Very interesting, lengthy, article in re: the many national tragedies April has brought us. Includes an interview with Robert Blaskiewicz, who teaches courses on conspiracy theory and maintains the blogsite Skeptical Humanities; and yes, it might well be guessed what his answer to the question - Is there something hinky about April?? - will be:
CNN: Is there any evidence or are there any theories that suggest attackers are more likely to strike around this time of the year?

Robert Blaskiewicz: I have seen nothing to suggest that anything about April itself makes people violent.
Again, the article is well worth your while, and the link is above.

So what do you think about the possibility of "bad luck months" - periods of time rife with rancid karma, etc. etc.? Can't see it, myself, but I do love reading discussions, thus to hear arguments from either side of the question.

Makes me wonder if people who have a predisposition to cause a large scale tragedy read about previous instances and want to, for lack of a better explaination, pay homage in some manner by doing something that they've been thinking of for a while.
Hope that makes sense, and please excuse my run-on sentence ;)

T.S. Eliot's famous lines, which open his poem The Waste Land:

April is the cruellest month, breeding
Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
Memory and desire, stirring
Dull roots with spring rain.

What is it about mid-April and violence in America? (CNN)

Very interesting, lengthy, article in re: the many national tragedies April has brought us. Includes an interview with Robert Blaskiewicz, who teaches courses on conspiracy theory and maintains the blogsite Skeptical Humanities; and yes, it might well be guessed what his answer to the question - Is there something hinky about April?? - will be:

Again, the article is well worth your while, and the link is above.

So what do you think about the possibility of "bad luck months" - periods of time rife with rancid karma, etc. etc.? Can't see it, myself, but I do love reading discussions, thus to hear arguments from either side of the question.

I agree! Personally, April has always been a terrible month for me. It's probably because I always think of the first line of that poem on April 1st every year!!!

I agree! Personally, April has always been a terrible month for me. It's probably because I always think of the first line of that poem on April 1st every year!!!

I've always favored our fourth month. But of course, I have a birthday then!

And today, 04.19, marks the sixteenth anniversary of the Murrah Building bombing in OKC, and the eighteenth since the Seige of Waco's unfortunate dénouement.

Coming tomorrow: first anniversary of the Deepwater Horizon BP oil spill in the Gulf.

April is the cruellest month....or not!

hm, personally February has always been the most cruel month to me

but this April weather up here certainly sucks

interesting post, ty

april is my least favorite month, i almost always get depressed during this month. this year has been ok though.

I think it falls more in line with seasonal depression. We have all heard of cabin fever and Seattle having the most suicides linked to the rainfall causing depression. The month of April is the most significant in weather change in most of the US. Really cold to pleasant and down right hot. Snow and ice to rain, birds, bees, flowers and trees. Short daylight and dark to much longer sunlight and longer days. I've noticed similar instances of the world going crazy during the full moon and there's reasearch and science that indicates there may be some merit there as well. When all the crazies come out so to speak for the full moon and out of hibernation in relation to April as the cruelest month.

April is one of my most favorite months! Except for income tax, we got married in April, got our house in April, and my daughter's birthday is in April! And then there's all the flowers in bloom and green hillsides and weather warming up!

I've always held a certain fondness for it, as it's the month of my birth.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back