GUILTY IL - Melissa Best, 37, Round Lake Park, 15 April 2011

KaylynnCouture

Reaction score
A 34-year-old mother of two has been reported missing after she dropped one child off at a friend’s Friday and then never returned.

Melissa Ann Best, 34, of Round Lake Park was last seen around 1 p.m. Friday after she dropped of one of her children at the Rosewood Apartments. She is married with two teenagers and was a stay-at-home mother who was also a student at the College of Lake County, Grayslake.

Round Lake Park police said Wednesday she was last seen driving a green 1993 Pontiac Transport minivan with gray trim with a license plate number of A 770-405.

She was wearing a gray hooded pullover with “Chicago” printed on the front and blue jeans. She has brownish blond hair and hazel-colored eyes. She is 5-foot 4-inches tall.

Photo at link: http://newssun.suntimes.com/news/4938144-418/round-lake-park-mom-reported-missing.html

I hadn't heard about this as I live very close to this area. I live a couple of miles from those apartments. Unfortunately, there probably won't be much media coverage on this as the far north suburbs never get covered in Chicago news.

I hadn't heard about this as I live very close to this area. I live a couple of miles from those apartments. Unfortunately, there probably won't be much media coverage on this as the far north suburbs never get covered in Chicago news.

It's been hard to find media coverage on Melissa. So far I've only been able to find that one article (the one I posted) but I'm going to email a few other media outlets around Chicago and see if they'll pick up her story.

Melissa:

dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls

http://newssun.suntimes.com/4938144-417/round-lake-park-mom-reported-missing.html

Really trying to find more information on Melissa but am having a hard time finding anything! Thanks Kaylynn for e-mailing outlets. :grouphug:

Round Lake Park Police chief George Filenko says Best’s husband, Clinton, reported her missing.
. . .

“She was a homebody. She lived a relatively non-social lifestyle,” Best said. “So we’re just interested in reaching out to anybody that might have some information regarding seeing her or having social contact or any contact with her.”
. . .

Filenko says the husband is not a suspect.
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2011/04/21/round-lake-park-police-search-for-missing-mother/

I'm assuming her minivan is missing as well?

So, we have a stay-home mom of two, attending school and not particularly socially active, according to reports so far. Her lifestyle sounds busy but not risky to me.

She must have been getting some kind of monetary support from the ex. Child support of course, but maybe spousal support too, IMO.

Articles say the ex is cooperating so far, but they all usually do at first.

I can't see who else would have a motive. Guess we'll see.

This is right by me and its the first I heard of it. sad.

Lots of lakes and forests/state parks in the area.

I am in Lake County right now visiting family and it is all over the news here. Teased all day before newscasts.

I am in Lake County right now visiting family and it is all over the news here. Teased all day before newscasts.

Good! I'm glad Melissa is finally getting some media coverage. I emailed like 10 outlets earlier, and so far, 4 have started running her story.

Hunt for Melissa Goes Nationwide

The search for a missing Round Lake Park mother is intensifying as police try to run down new leads.

One of the things hampering the search for Melissa Ann Best, 34, who dropped off one of her teenage children at a friend’s apartment Friday and never returned home, is she has nothing for police to trace.

“She doesn’t carry a cellphone and she doesn’t have any credit cards. There is no way to track her electronically,” Police Chief George Filenko said Thursday.

Police have put her information into state and national data bases.

“We’re still following leads, we’re going back to high school acquaintances,” he said.

She has had no contact with family members or friends for a week.

Snipped from: http://newssun.suntimes.com/news/4955123-418/hunt-for-missing-mom-goes-nationwide.html

Sounds like a very sheltered life........wonder if she wanted to get away for a bit? Guess I'm just hoping for a positive outcome......

So, we have a stay-home mom of two, attending school and not particularly socially active, according to reports so far. Her lifestyle sounds busy but not risky to me.

She must have been getting some kind of monetary support from the ex. Child support of course, but maybe spousal support too, IMO.

Articles say the ex is cooperating so far, but they all usually do at first.

I can't see who else would have a motive. Guess we'll see.

Did I miss that she had an ex-husband? The three articles that I've seen says she has a current husband but nothing about an ex.

For example:

"She is married with two teenagers and a stay-at-home mother." http://newssun.suntimes.com/news/4955123-418/hunt-for-missing-mom-goes-nationwide.html

"Best’s husband, Clinton, reported her missing." http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2011/04/...issing-mother/

Hunt for Melissa Goes Nationwide

Quote:
The search for a missing Round Lake Park mother is intensifying as police try to run down new leads.

One of the things hampering the search for Melissa Ann Best, 34, who dropped off one of her teenage children at a friend’s apartment Friday and never returned home, is she has nothing for police to trace.

“She doesn’t carry a cellphone and she doesn’t have any credit cards. There is no way to track her electronically,” Police Chief George Filenko said Thursday.

Police have put her information into state and national data bases.

“We’re still following leads, we’re going back to high school acquaintances,” he said.

She has had no contact with family members or friends for a week.
Snipped from: http://newssun.suntimes.com/news/495...ationwide.html

Not being able to quote posts with a quote drives me batty so copied and pasted.

She is a mom going to school. Has LE investigated, interviewed any of her classmates or instructors? Is she taking classes on campus or online? Does LE have access to her computer? Does she volunteer with her sons education? any involvement with the teens HS - their peers? Any problems at home with the kids?

There are quite a few bodies of water in this area. Very close to the Fox Lake area ( NW corner of linked map). Tons of water in this area. The Fox Lake area is a blue collar(?) boating vacation area where many of the Chi town suburbanites have summer homes or dock boats to have a weekend gettaway. For those not going to Lake Geneva, Lake Michigan or the SE area of MI/IN.

Rt 12/59 is not far west of Round Lake and a well traveled route for any western burbanites to get up North to Wisconsin.

round lake park - Google Maps

High school acquaintances? That's odd, IMO.

It may have to do with her Facebook page. A lot of people end up reconnecting with old high school friends that way. I found her's and her husband's, but they are set to private. His picture, however, is her missing person poster.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vigilandy
Back