731 users online (117 members and 614 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

View Poll Results: My opinion on serving peanuts on planes is...

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Why should I have to give something up just because a few people can have a severe reaction.

5 14.71%
  • It's not a big deal, just replace them with another non allergenic snack.

24 70.59%
  • They should only be removed if a peanut allergy sufferer requests it.

1 2.94%
  • The rule about surrounding seats not having them makes enough sense.

4 11.76%

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Question Peanuts on planes protected by law

http://www.cnn.com/2011/TRAVEL/04/20...ex.html?hpt=T2

Peanuts on planes protected by law
    By Marnie Hunter, CNN
    April 20, 2011 7:22 p.m. EDT

The government can't make policies about peanuts on planes without more scientific study

...But when the new rules concerning issues from airline fees and bumping to tarmac delays were announced Wednesday, the department said it won't take on the peanut issue because of a 12-year-old law blocking the agency from tampering with peanut policy without more scientific study.

"The Department is prohibited by law from restricting the serving of peanuts aboard aircraft unless a peer-reviewed study determines that serving of peanuts causes severe reactions among airline passengers. There has been no such peer-reviewed study, so we declined to take action at this time," it said in a statement....

I loved plane peanuts...haven't been served any in years though ;(

I think they should just designate a few few seats somewhere for the deathly allergic folks.

If ya ask me, these "allergic folks" are getting alittle too uppity. What's next? I'll be expected to rip up my lawn and replace it with rocks because my neighbor has a grass allergy?

Nosy by Nature and a Websleuther by choice

Quote Originally Posted by Linda7NJ View Post

I think they should just designate a few few seats somewhere for the deathly allergic folks.

If ya ask me, these "allergic folks" are getting alittle too uppity. What's next? I'll be expected to rip up my lawn and replace it with rocks because my neighbor has a grass allergy?
    There are soo many things people can have allergic reactions to. Just what is a non allergenic food/snack anyway? Will perfume be next? Deoderant and soap?
    To be honest, I miss the days of flying when folks dressed up in their Sunday best, boarded the plane, had a cocktail and used the little ash trays in the seat arms that are now welded shut. I miss the days when little children received a pair of wings when flying and little girls wanted to be stewardesses. I miss the days when flying was special and people were treated with dignity and respect.....now we are to the point where folks are trying to control peanuts when in reality I'm more concerned if the plane takes off and lands on time without a 2 hour delay.
    Burn the candles, use the nice sheets, wear the fancy jewelry and lingerie. Don't save it for a special occasion, Every Day Is Special.

In My Humble Opinion and I Reserve
    The Right To Change It As Often As Neccessary.

I truly couldnt care less what little snack the airline serves. If peanuts are an issue, I will happy with pretzels. If it means another passanger can fly safely then Im all for the ousting of nuts. I agree with the above poster, please just get me to my destination safely and on time. Treat passengers with respect and lets all try to be polite on our way.

Oh brother. Well, I'm allergic to stupid, so.....

Look twice - Save a Life! Motorcycles are everywhere!

Kimberlyd125 is offline Softball is for everyone. Fast pitch is for athletes.
    I don't think many people understand how serious severe peanut allergies are. Some people can not be in the same room with them without severe, life threatening reactions.

It's not like perfume allergies, grass allergies, etc.

Peanut allergies are the most dangerous.

Very sad to see people complain about having to possibly give up a snack in order to keep people alive.

JMO
    Glove Findin'
    Uniform Washin'
    Gatorade Gettin'
    Picture Takin'
    Always Cheerin'

Softball Mom

http://www.life123.com/parenting/tod...-allergy.shtml

A peanut allergy is serious. They are the most common cause of food allergy related death, according to MedicineNet.com, with 150-200 people dying per year as a result of peanut allergy reactions. A reaction from exposure to peanuts can cause respiratory failure, swelling, heart failure, and even death. The British Medical Journal estimates that 1.3% of the general population suffers from peanut allergies.

There is no known cure for extreme sensitivity to peanut proteins.

Peanut allergies can be triggered by contact with another person who has eaten peanuts, airborne peanut protein particles, or ingesting traces of peanut ingredients in other foods. A trace can be as little as 1/1000 of a peanut!
    Glove Findin'
    Uniform Washin'
    Gatorade Gettin'
    Picture Takin'
    Always Cheerin'

Softball Mom

The surrounding seats idea sounds good but it WILL NOT work with someone who has a severe peanut allergy.
    A plane is a closed in space. Peanut protein "dust" is airborne and could be deadly even if there are several rows between the person enjoying their peanuts and the person who is in danger.
    Glove Findin'
    Uniform Washin'
    Gatorade Gettin'
    Picture Takin'
    Always Cheerin'

Softball Mom

Okay, so as good old fashioned commerce goes, it sounds like there's lots of room for an airline to promote a peanut free status. Compete. jmo

In the poll, I voted serve something else, what's the big deal anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberlyd125 View Post
    The surrounding seats idea sounds good but it WILL NOT work with someone who has a severe peanut allergy.
    A plane is a closed in space. Peanut protein "dust" is airborne and could be deadly even if there are several rows between the person enjoying their peanuts and the person who is in danger.
    The only issue I have with this - is if it's that dangerous (and I understand it can be fatal) what if I have a peanut butter sandwhich at home before I leave and wipe my hands on my non sunday best jeans that I am wearing, and sit next to someone in the airport or on the plane?

I think people with that sensitive of allergies need to find other modes of transporation where they can control what they come into contact with - (not that I care if peanuts are or aren't served....but overall this seems to be more of a personal responsibility issue.)

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie09 View Post
    The only issue I have with this - is if it's that dangerous (and I understand it can be fatal) what if I have a peanut butter sandwhich at home before I leave and wipe my hands on my non sunday best jeans that I am wearing, and sit next to someone in the airport or on the plane?

I think people with that sensitive of allergies need to find other modes of transporation where they can control what they come into contact with - (not that I care if peanuts are or aren't served....but overall this seems to be more of a personal responsibility issue.)
    Living with severe peanut allergies is not easy AT ALL. It's horrible.

I just feel like it's such a non-important thing that can be passed as to not risk the health of those who must travel by plane.

It's not like any passenger will die if they are not served peanuts. But on the other hand, someone could die if they are in an enclosed plane and come in contact with them.

I guess I know how this issue can be on the family with a member who is so allergic. We had a little boy in a preschool I taught that could not breathe air in a room with any type of peanut items. We all adjusted for his needs. His health was more important than a peanut butter cracker or snickers.

IMO it should be a non-issue. IMO there should be no peanuts on planes. It's not worth the risk.
    Glove Findin'
    Uniform Washin'
    Gatorade Gettin'
    Picture Takin'
    Always Cheerin'

Softball Mom

I just feel like it's such a non-important thing that can be passed as to not risk the health of those who must travel by plane.

It's not like any passenger will die if they are not served peanuts. But on the other hand, someone could die if they are in an enclosed plane and come in contact with them.

I guess I know how this issue can be on the family with a member who is so allergic. We had a little boy in a preschool I taught that could not breathe air in a room with any type of peanut items. We all adjusted for his needs. His health was more important than a peanut butter cracker or snickers.

IMO it should be a non-issue. IMO there should be no peanuts on planes. It's not worth the risk.
    No, I get that...and I understand it - but I don't think it stops the risk of someone having peanuts or peanut butter with them. I like Quiche's thought of competing on the basis of peanuts.

(Has there actually been an issue, or is this a what if scenario?)

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
    http://www.cnn.com/2011/TRAVEL/04/20...ex.html?hpt=T2

...But when the new rules concerning issues from airline fees and bumping to tarmac delays were announced Wednesday, the department said it won't take on the peanut issue because of a 12-year-old law blocking the agency from tampering with peanut policy without more scientific study.

"The Department is prohibited by law from restricting the serving of peanuts aboard aircraft unless a peer-reviewed study determines that serving of peanuts causes severe reactions among airline passengers. There has been no such peer-reviewed study, so we declined to take action at this time," it said in a statement
    Just want to clarify my post above. I was not meaning to offend anyone with allergies. I meant the stupid part towards our government, per the bolded part above.

My apologies if I offended anyone.
    Look twice - Save a Life! Motorcycles are everywhere!

I don't think many people understand how serious severe peanut allergies are. Some people can not be in the same room with them without severe, life threatening reactions.

It's not like perfume allergies, grass allergies, etc.

Peanut allergies are the most dangerous.

Very sad to see people complain about having to possibly give up a snack in order to keep people alive.

JMO

Quote Originally Posted by Quiche View Post
    Okay, so as good old fashioned commerce goes, it sounds like there's lots of room for an airline to promote a peanut free status. Compete. jmo

In the poll, I voted serve something else, what's the big deal anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie09 View Post
    No, I get that...and I understand it - but I don't think it stops the risk of someone having peanuts or peanut butter with them. I like Quiche's thought of competing on the basis of peanuts.

(Has there actually been an issue, or is this a what if scenario?)
    I would assume so since it's being made such a big deal, but I haven't heard of a specific case so maybe it hasn't. Even if there hasn't been a case why wait til the first death in order to do something?
    Last edited by Steely Dan; 04-21-2011 at 04:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Linda7NJ View Post

What's next you ask? No snacks at all. Haven't you heard? We're all too fat and we need someone who is much smarter than us to make the rules for us.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast