Peanuts on planes protected by law

My opinion on serving peanuts on planes is...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Steely Dan

Former Member
Reaction score
http://www.cnn.com/2011/TRAVEL/04/20/peanuts.on.planes/index.html?hpt=T2

Peanuts on planes protected by law
By Marnie Hunter, CNN
April 20, 2011 7:22 p.m. EDT

t1larg.peanuts.ts.jpg

The government can't make policies about peanuts on planes without more scientific study

...But when the new rules concerning issues from airline fees and bumping to tarmac delays were announced Wednesday, the department said it won't take on the peanut issue because of a 12-year-old law blocking the agency from tampering with peanut policy without more scientific study.

"The Department is prohibited by law from restricting the serving of peanuts aboard aircraft unless a peer-reviewed study determines that serving of peanuts causes severe reactions among airline passengers. There has been no such peer-reviewed study, so we declined to take action at this time," it said in a statement....

I loved plane peanuts...haven't been served any in years though ;(

I think they should just designate a few few seats somewhere for the deathly allergic folks.

If ya ask me, these "allergic folks" are getting alittle too uppity. What's next? I'll be expected to rip up my lawn and replace it with rocks because my neighbor has a grass allergy? :twocents:

I think they should just designate a few few seats somewhere for the deathly allergic folks.

If ya ask me, these "allergic folks" are getting alittle too uppity. What's next? I'll be expected to rip up my lawn and replace it with rocks because my neighbor has a grass allergy? :twocents:

There are soo many things people can have allergic reactions to. Just what is a non allergenic food/snack anyway? Will perfume be next? Deoderant and soap?
To be honest, I miss the days of flying when folks dressed up in their Sunday best, boarded the plane, had a cocktail and used the little ash trays in the seat arms that are now welded shut. I miss the days when little children received a pair of wings when flying and little girls wanted to be stewardesses. I miss the days when flying was special and people were treated with dignity and respect.....now we are to the point where folks are trying to control peanuts when in reality I'm more concerned if the plane takes off and lands on time without a 2 hour delay.

I truly couldnt care less what little snack the airline serves. If peanuts are an issue, I will happy with pretzels. If it means another passanger can fly safely then Im all for the ousting of nuts. I agree with the above poster, please just get me to my destination safely and on time. Treat passengers with respect and lets all try to be polite on our way.

Oh brother. Well, I'm allergic to stupid, so.....

:nevermind:

I don't think many people understand how serious severe peanut allergies are. Some people can not be in the same room with them without severe, life threatening reactions.

It's not like perfume allergies, grass allergies, etc.

Peanut allergies are the most dangerous.

Very sad to see people complain about having to possibly give up a snack in order to keep people alive.

JMO

http://www.life123.com/parenting/toddlers/allergies/coping-with-a-severe-peanut-allergy.shtml

A peanut allergy is serious. They are the most common cause of food allergy related death, according to MedicineNet.com, with 150-200 people dying per year as a result of peanut allergy reactions. A reaction from exposure to peanuts can cause respiratory failure, swelling, heart failure, and even death. The British Medical Journal estimates that 1.3% of the general population suffers from peanut allergies.

There is no known cure for extreme sensitivity to peanut proteins.

Peanut allergies can be triggered by contact with another person who has eaten peanuts, airborne peanut protein particles, or ingesting traces of peanut ingredients in other foods. A trace can be as little as 1/1000 of a peanut!

The surrounding seats idea sounds good but it WILL NOT work with someone who has a severe peanut allergy.
A plane is a closed in space. Peanut protein "dust" is airborne and could be deadly even if there are several rows between the person enjoying their peanuts and the person who is in danger.

Okay, so as good old fashioned commerce goes, it sounds like there's lots of room for an airline to promote a peanut free status. Compete. jmo

In the poll, I voted serve something else, what's the big deal anyway?

The surrounding seats idea sounds good but it WILL NOT work with someone who has a severe peanut allergy.
A plane is a closed in space. Peanut protein "dust" is airborne and could be deadly even if there are several rows between the person enjoying their peanuts and the person who is in danger.

The only issue I have with this - is if it's that dangerous (and I understand it can be fatal) what if I have a peanut butter sandwhich at home before I leave and wipe my hands on my non sunday best jeans that I am wearing, and sit next to someone in the airport or on the plane?

I think people with that sensitive of allergies need to find other modes of transporation where they can control what they come into contact with - (not that I care if peanuts are or aren't served....but overall this seems to be more of a personal responsibility issue.)

The only issue I have with this - is if it's that dangerous (and I understand it can be fatal) what if I have a peanut butter sandwhich at home before I leave and wipe my hands on my non sunday best jeans that I am wearing, and sit next to someone in the airport or on the plane?

I think people with that sensitive of allergies need to find other modes of transporation where they can control what they come into contact with - (not that I care if peanuts are or aren't served....but overall this seems to be more of a personal responsibility issue.)

Living with severe peanut allergies is not easy AT ALL. It's horrible.

I just feel like it's such a non-important thing that can be passed as to not risk the health of those who must travel by plane.

It's not like any passenger will die if they are not served peanuts. But on the other hand, someone could die if they are in an enclosed plane and come in contact with them.

I guess I know how this issue can be on the family with a member who is so allergic. We had a little boy in a preschool I taught that could not breathe air in a room with any type of peanut items. We all adjusted for his needs. His health was more important than a peanut butter cracker or snickers.

IMO it should be a non-issue. IMO there should be no peanuts on planes. It's not worth the risk.

I just feel like it's such a non-important thing that can be passed as to not risk the health of those who must travel by plane.

It's not like any passenger will die if they are not served peanuts. But on the other hand, someone could die if they are in an enclosed plane and come in contact with them.

I guess I know how this issue can be on the family with a member who is so allergic. We had a little boy in a preschool I taught that could not breathe air in a room with any type of peanut items. We all adjusted for his needs. His health was more important than a peanut butter cracker or snickers.

IMO it should be a non-issue. IMO there should be no peanuts on planes. It's not worth the risk.

No, I get that...and I understand it - but I don't think it stops the risk of someone having peanuts or peanut butter with them. I like Quiche's thought of competing on the basis of peanuts.

(Has there actually been an issue, or is this a what if scenario?)

http://www.cnn.com/2011/TRAVEL/04/20/peanuts.on.planes/index.html?hpt=T2

...But when the new rules concerning issues from airline fees and bumping to tarmac delays were announced Wednesday, the department said it won't take on the peanut issue because of a 12-year-old law blocking the agency from tampering with peanut policy without more scientific study.

"The Department is prohibited by law from restricting the serving of peanuts aboard aircraft unless a peer-reviewed study determines that serving of peanuts causes severe reactions among airline passengers. There has been no such peer-reviewed study, so we declined to take action at this time," it said in a statement

Just want to clarify my post above. I was not meaning to offend anyone with allergies. I meant the stupid part towards our government, per the bolded part above.

My apologies if I offended anyone. :seeya:

I don't think many people understand how serious severe peanut allergies are. Some people can not be in the same room with them without severe, life threatening reactions.

It's not like perfume allergies, grass allergies, etc.

Peanut allergies are the most dangerous.

Very sad to see people complain about having to possibly give up a snack in order to keep people alive.

JMO

:goodpost:

Okay, so as good old fashioned commerce goes, it sounds like there's lots of room for an airline to promote a peanut free status. Compete. jmo

In the poll, I voted serve something else, what's the big deal anyway?

No, I get that...and I understand it - but I don't think it stops the risk of someone having peanuts or peanut butter with them. I like Quiche's thought of competing on the basis of peanuts.

(Has there actually been an issue, or is this a what if scenario?)

I would assume so since it's being made such a big deal, but I haven't heard of a specific case so maybe it hasn't. Even if there hasn't been a case why wait til the first death in order to do something?

What's next you ask? No snacks at all. Haven't you heard? We're all too fat and we need someone who is much smarter than us to make the rules for us.

Theres 100 deaths a year due to peanut allergies - from my quick searching, none have been on an airplane.

from foodallergy.com
There are a lot of variables for an anaphylactic reaction such as how many people are eating peanuts on a flight and their proximity to the allergic individual. Some airlines offer “buffer zones” around the passenger; some will serve a non-peanut snack on a particular flight if notified in advance; some airlines have discontinued the serving of peanuts altogether. However, case studies do show that it would require more than just a few people on an aircraft eating peanuts to generally cause an airborne reaction. Case studies reassure us that, when proper precautions are taken, the probability of an airborne reaction to peanut while on a plane is greatly reduced. However, one must realize that a reaction is always a possibility and a medical plan (as instructed by one’s personal health care provider) may be necessary should you suspect that a reaction is occurring.

I remain of the opinion that if it's life and death, you are responsible for it, not the flying community at large. There's just no way to mandate what thousands/millions? of people do every day before they come to an airport.

I get how serious the peanut allergy is. And I also get how tragic a death from a peanut allergy would be. But I also agree with the personal responsibility idea. Why wouldn't a person with a peanut allergy wear a filter mask on a plane, because it is such a closed system? After all, they cannot regulate what people do before they get on the plane, so the same risks apply whether the peanuts are served on the plane or not.

I guess I have to compare it to someone whose immunity is compromised for some reason. Yet they may choose to fly. I would expect them to wear a mask, not the airline to interview all the other passengers and refuse to allow them to fly if they had any signs of illness or any previous exposure to illness.

I don't understand, Kimberly. If a person is that sensitive, how do they go out at all?

(For the record, I'm fine with banning peanuts on airplanes. I don't see why that's a big deal. But I do wonder about anyone who is so highly allergic they are affected by something eaten 10 feet away. Shouldn't they stay home?)

Ok, question: they still serve peanuts on airlines? up until last year I was flying, a lot, and the only nuts I ever got my hands on were soy nuts. It seemed pretzels had taken over as the snack given out.

I flew the beginning of this month and I believe one of the items I could have purchased for a snack was peanut M & M's.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rainydaze17
Back