Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

CA - Patricia Neufeld, 34, murdered in Garden Grove, November 1978

On November 22, 1978, Patricia Ann Neufeld, 34, was found murdered at her home in Garden Grove, California. To this day, her murder has not been solved. In 2006, the Discovery Channel featured the case on their show, Sensing Murder (this is where I learned about the case).

November 22, 1978 was a Tuesday before Thanksgiving; it was a rainy day in Garden Grove (according to the Orange County Register). Patricia Neufeld, a housewife and mother of three, had been babysitting two children (described by the Orange County Register as two infants and by the LA Times as her 5-year old son and another child), a girl and boy, at 6231 Richmond Avenue that day. She was bludgeoned to death with a bowling pin. She was discovered by her ten year old son when he returned from school. The two children she had been watching were unharmed. Her husband was working at the time and cleared of any involvement.

The Neufeld home was located near the 405 and 22 Freeways and Los Alamitos AAF. It is on the west side of Garden Grove.

It has been suggested that Gerald Parker, a serial killer who was active in Orange County at the time (who is currently on Californiaís Death Row), was responsible for the murder. Although he admitted to other murders, he has repeatedly denied committing the murder of Patricia Neufeld. Personally, I donít believe that she was murdered by Gerald Parker.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ambercat For This Useful Post:

I looked on the Unsolved Crimes on the Garden Grove Police website. Mrs. Neufeld's case was not listed. http://www.ci.garden-grove.ca.us/?q=police/unsolved

I e-mailed them and ask that they list it. I wonder why they hadn't originally. Does anyone know if it has been solved and that is why it is not listed?

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ambercat For This Useful Post:

According to the Garden Grove Police Department, the case has not been solved and it is still an active investigation.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ambercat For This Useful Post:

It has been 33 years this month since Mrs. Neufeld was murdered. Hopefully the truth will come to light soon.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ambercat For This Useful Post:

Any other sources of information available???

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marycarney For This Useful Post:

The Garden Grove Police Department added a page about Patricia Neufeld’s unsolved murder on their website

http://www.ci.garden-grove.ca.us/?q=...d/1978/Neufeld

Patricia’s murder was featured on Sensing Murder on the Discovery Channel a while back. This is where I learned about the case. This is the LA Times and Orange County Register articles about the show

http://articles.latimes.com/2006/jul...l/me-psychic20
    http://www.ocregister.com/news/case-...l-neufeld.html

She is also mentioned in news articles archived on this website discussing the Original Night Stalker.

http://earbk.proboards.com/index.cgi...rint&thread=28

This is all the information I could find right now, sorry. If I find anything else, I will post it here.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ambercat For This Useful Post:

This article briefly mentions Mrs. Neufeld's murder. It also has some information about other murders that had occurred in California in the late 1970s. http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...-neufeld&hl=en

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ambercat For This Useful Post:

This sketch was distributed in regard to a series of bludgeoning attacks/murders that took place at around the same time as Mrs. Neufeld's murder in Orange County. Over a decade later, it was learned that several of those murders were committed by Gerald Parker, although the sketch looks nothing like Gerald Parker. Could the mystery man in the sketch also be the person responsible for Patricia Neufeld's murder?

https://sites.google.com/site/jjmcgr/theirvinesketch
    More about the sketch -- http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...,3460799&hl=en

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ambercat For This Useful Post:

I found an article from the November 28, 1978 from the Santa Ana Orange County Register about Patricia Neufeld's murder. It has some information which is new to me.

Cleanup Of Bludgeon Scene Stalled http://newspaperarchive.com/santa-an...avance&ref=fbc

A preliminary coroner's report indicated that she died between 7 a.m. and noon from blows from a blunt instrument.
    there is a trail of blood on the bedroom floor ending at the door which is soiled with bloody hand and finger prints. He surmised that the assassin wiped his hands on the door.
    Does LE have a viable fingerprint from the killer? Has it ever been run for identification?

According to the article, there is a lack of motive and suspects, but --
    No e x t r a patrol is planned for west Garden Grove because detectives feel it's a "unique case for that neighborhood," Burnett said, referring to the fact that Richmond Avenue has been a peaceful, single family residential area with few serious problems.
    Something about that doesn't sound quite right.

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ambercat For This Useful Post:

Snufamonbobball is offline But O for the touch of the vanished hand & the sound of the voice that is still.
    I just watched the Sensing Murder Episode about Ms. Neufield a couple of weeks ago- I wondered if she was an early ONS victim, but I don't think there were any documented attacks by him during the daylight (not that she wasn't just a victim of opportunity).
    Do you know when Parker's preferred hours of operation were? She was located in the heart of his geographical preference.
    The more I get to know some people, the more I like my cats!

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snufamonbobball For This Useful Post:

MADELINE ANNA BABCOCK HAS BEEN MISSING FROM VENIICE CALIFORNIA FOR 44 Years

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Just Pat 22 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ambercat View Post
    I found an article from the November 28, 1978 from the Santa Ana Orange County Register about Patricia Neufeld's murder. It has some information which is new to me.

Cleanup Of Bludgeon Scene Stalled http://newspaperarchive.com/santa-an...avance&ref=fbc

Does LE have a viable fingerprint from the killer? Has it ever been run for identification?

According to the article, there is a lack of motive and suspects, but --

Something about that doesn't sound quite right.
    I agree, it's as if they know or suspect who's responsible.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Robin Hood For This Useful Post:

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Robin Hood For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Snufamonbobball View Post
    I just watched the Sensing Murder Episode about Ms. Neufield a couple of weeks ago- I wondered if she was an early ONS victim, but I don't think there were any documented attacks by him during the daylight (not that she wasn't just a victim of opportunity).
    Do you know when Parker's preferred hours of operation were? She was located in the heart of his geographical preference.
    I always wondered/suspected that she might be a victim of EAR-ONS, too. I checked the EAR-ONS timeline at http://www.ear-ons.com/crimes.html to see if there were any known EAR-ONS crimes at the time that would have made it unlikely that he murdered Mrs. Neufeld. To my surprise there was an attack on a woman alone at 3:30 am on November 4, 1978 in San Jose, CA then on December 2, 1978 he attacked a couple in San Jose, CA at 4:30 am. There are no attacks listed on the timeline between those two. Where was EAR-ONS for most of November 1978? I noticed in the timeline that a few of EAR-ONS known attacks [in Northern California] took place later in the morning than I thought; for example, on Tuesday October 5, 1976, he assaulted a woman in Citrus Heights at 6:45 am and on Monday February 7, 1977 also at 6:45 am, he assaulted another woman in Citrus Heights.

It is my understanding that Gerald Parker also attacked during the nighttime. According to the Casebook of the Bedroom Killer website https://sites.google.com/site/jjmcgr/bedroombasher, Gerald Parkerís MO is described as
    The Basher's MO was to invade a home or apartment where a single woman was sleeping. The BB blitz attacked the vicitm, bludgeoning her with a plywood plank, raping her, then finishing her off with the plank. In several cases, his victim survived.
    An LA Times article says this about Gerald Parker http://articles.latimes.com/1996-09-..._death-penalty
    Investigators said a new system of genetic testing linked him to attacks on young Orange County women who were raped and bashed in their ground-floor apartments during 1978 and 1979. Parker, who was in prison on a parole violation at the time of his arrest, confessed to attacking the women--usually with 2x4 boards. He told detectives he would cruise the county in a drunken stupor looking for open windows or unlocked doors, according to grand jury transcripts.
    I canít really find anything that specifically identifies the times that Gerald Parker committed his crimes, but I will keep looking. I would have the tendency to assume that it was night because he usually attacked his victims when they were sleeping.

Before Patricia Neufeldís case was on the Garden Grove Police Departmentís website, I spoke with a policeman from Garden Grove who was familiar with Mrs. Neufeldís murder asking him to include her case on the Cold Case page. He told me that they (the GGPD) did not believe that Gerald Parker was her killer Ė the way that he said this (and some of the other things that he said during our conversation) lead me to believe that there was someone who they suspected but he wasnít going to tell me who it was other than just it wasnít Mr. Parker.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ambercat For This Useful Post:

Hi,

just jumping in on this:

1.) Don't hang on the attack-time. Even if an SR/SK acts normally at night, there is always a possibility, he considers in one special case another time as better. ONS scouted and entered the places of his attacks sometimes weeks before. So if he found, prenoon was in this special case a good time because the majority of people in this area are off to work at this time, why not?

2.) I haven't looked up Gerald Parker yet in detail, but it appears as if he had a similar signature?

3.) The Neufeld-murder falls between the Maggiores, who were shot and the Offerman/Manning murders, who were bludgeoned to death. Over this time, the EAR rapes went on. So if the bludgeoning attacks ALL happened between the Maggiores and Offerman/Manning, this looks like the phase in which ONS developed to his final signature.

So ... questions:

1.) Was Parker's signature in the time of those bludegeoning attacks already fully developed?

2.) Which timespan was covered by those bludgeoning attacks?

3.) Where there in this time frame and in Orange Co. also stabbing, strangling or shooting attacks/murders of women, ages like 20-35?

Can be, you have here a developing SK and then this developing phase would be, at least as far as the timeline goes, consistent with ONS.
    Sometimes, being a squirrel can be a real nutjob!

30. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Peter Brendt For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast