NV NV - White Pine Co, WhtMale 40-60, UP7428, note signed 'J', golf shoes, dental work, glasses, Jan'84

Ambercat

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Unidentified White Male
Washoe County Coroner Case #0079-84
White Pine S.O Case Number: C-84-042
Doe Network Hot Case 710

Date Found: January 25, 1984
Estimated Date of Death: January 24, 1984 (according to the Doe Network)

I think the Washoe County Coroner must contract for many of the other counties in Nevada because the deceased was found in White Pine County, Nevada, 45 miles 45 miles east of Ely.

Washoe County Coroner described the decedent’s hair as being red/auburn hair color - graying on the sides. The Doe Network describes his hair as blond.
Estimated age(Doe Network): 40-46 years old
Approximate Height and Weight (Doe Network): 5'11; 170 lbs

Cause of Death: Carbon monoxide poisoning/Suicide. Hose connection from automobile exhaust into automobile interior.
Agency: White Pine County Sheriff

The condition of his remains is described as “decomposed.” This seems a little strange since the Doe Network estimated his date of death as the previous day. Washoe Coroner did not make an estimate of his date of death.

He was found inside parked automobile (1968 Chevrolet, faded grey/green in color, two-door hard top, no license plates, vin #155118T240844) 45 miles east of Ely, Willow Patch Rest Stop, White Pine County, Nevada. The decedent was wearing a thin blue jacket with hood, yellow button up sweater, white long sleeved shirt and green trousers. Additional clothing located included a black medium windbreaker, blue medium shirt, beige medium windbreaker, blue and red checkered shirt, brown wallet containing $201.40, and black golf shoes with the spikes removed. According to the Doe Network, all of the tags were removed from clothing prior to death

Suicide note signed "J" was found with a P.S. requesting that the $201.40 be donated to the Mormon Church.

http://doenetwork.org/hot/hotcase710.html
http://www.co.washoe.nv.us/coroner/unidentifiedremains.htm

I came across the listing for Glenn Patrick Carroll http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1249dmnv.html and thought that there might be a match because he disappeared from Ely, but his vital statistics and time period don't match at all. A while back, I looked through all the people missing from Utah on the Doe Network, but couldn't find anyone who this could be. Does anyone have any ideas where he might of come from?

Does anyone have more information about the Willow Patch Rest Stop?

at the risk of stating the obvious, clue #1 to his identity was the car. they had the VIN. I find it hard to believe that LE could not trace the car to its owner, whoever that might have been.

from that starting point they could have at least pinpointed a date when the UID obtained the vehicle.

at the risk of stating the obvious, clue #1 to his identity was the car. they had the VIN. I find it hard to believe that LE could not trace the car to its owner, whoever that might have been.

from that starting point they could have at least pinpointed a date when the UID obtained the vehicle.

Its my understanding that this is prior to these things being computerized and they were unwilling or unable to look through them manually. The car also might not have been registered to him.

Its my understanding that this is prior to these things being computerized and they were unwilling or unable to look through them manually. The car also might not have been registered to him.

when I said 'whoever that might have been', I figured it could have been stolen. at least they'd have a place and date of a theft.

when I said 'whoever that might have been', I figured it could have been stolen. at least they'd have a place and date of a theft.
I didn't occur to me that the car might be stolen. That would definitely be helpful information to have and worth checking. Its unfortunate that they didn't check.

EDited: Sorry, just saw the years noted that they can research.

I am surprised they did not contact (or maybe they did) GM with the VIN number. We have some collector cars and when we buy one, we get the build sheet and the window sticker info from GM at a cost of about $50. I am sure they would search the microfilm for LE for free.

http://www.gmmediaarchive.com

It would contain the dealer information, and maybe from there they would have an area.

I'm not LE, but I e-mail Mike Golinski at Chevrolet anyway with the VIN number and the limited vehicle information that I had from the Washoe County Coroner.

I received an e-mail from GM today, the car was a 1968 Chevrolet Bel Air. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Bel_Air

The e-mail is as follows:
Kathryn,

155118T240844
1=Chevrolet
55=BelAir 6 cylinder
11=2 door sedan
8=1968
T-Tarrytown, NY assembly plant
240844=Sequential build number

That is all I know. Build records no longer exist for Chevrolets built prior to 1977.

General Motors Heritage Center
6400 Center Drive
Sterling Heights, MI 48312
(586) 276-0693
gmhc@gm.com

Thanks for trying Ambercat

You're welcome. At least we know a little more about the car.

I am really unfamiliar with the LDS faith and was wondering about the note leaving the money to the Mormon Church, signed J. Originally, I assumed that this meant that the man in the Chevrolet Bel Air was LDS (and excluded people of other faiths when comparing missing persons cases). Is this a good idea?

After quite a lot of searching, I think I finally found where the "Willow Patch Rest Stop" is. It is off of Highway 50 and not far from the White Pine County, Nevada and Millard County, Utah state line.

http://www.nevadadot.com/uploadedFiles/NDOT/Traveler_Info/Maps/quad0601.pdf The map takes a while to load.

I wonder why he would pick this location. Because there are not that many people around or if it had a more personal significance?

You're welcome. At least we know a little more about the car.

I am really unfamiliar with the LDS faith and was wondering about the note leaving the money to the Mormon Church, signed J. Originally, I assumed that this meant that the man in the Chevrolet Bel Air was LDS (and excluded people of other faiths when comparing missing persons cases). Is this a good idea?

I don't know anything about LDS either, but I just wonder, if the man was a Mormon would he refer to the church as such? Or would a Mormon refer to it as the church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints? Do they refer to themselves as Mormons at all?

I guess what I'm wondering is whether the wording of the note is significant, and I'm trying to be PC about it but I think I'm failing :waitasec:

I don't know anything about LDS either, but I just wonder, if the man was a Mormon would he refer to the church as such? Or would a Mormon refer to it as the church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints? Do they refer to themselves as Mormons at all?

I guess what I'm wondering is whether the wording of the note is significant, and I'm trying to be PC about it but I think I'm failing :waitasec:

I am not sure. Those are good questions. I think that the wording of the note is significant (I am just not exactly sure how), I would like to be able to read it in its entirety. At one point, I thought that he might be from the Hilldale, UT/Colorado City, AZ and that he was never reported missing.

If he isn't Mormon, I wonder what his reasons to want to donate the money to the Mormon Church?

the note is not quoted verbatim as far as I know. it was a suicide note so I can only imagine what else was in the note. the Mormon reference could have been just shorthand from LE.

Without giving a whole lot of personal history, I can clear up the LDS/Mormon thing :)

Members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints will refer to themselves as either "LDS" or "Mormon", mostly depending on local customs. In an area where the Church has many members, you'll hear "LDS" more (Utah, Idaho, etc.) In areas where the Church population isn't in the majority, they usually will use "Mormon" as it is more recognized.

Also, doesn't the skin change color with carbon monoxide poisoning? That may be why there is no picture and the variance between the 1 day and "decomposed".

I wonder if anyone distributed this information to the LDS churches in the area to see if any of the Wards had knowledge of this guy? Mormons are really *good* about fellowshipping and helping people out - day work, letting strangers stay in their homes, etc. It's been 25 years, but there might still be some of the older members that might remember.

Also, if the Mormons had helped him out in the past, he might have been inclined to donate his remaining money to them as thanks....

Without giving a whole lot of personal history, I can clear up the LDS/Mormon thing :)

Members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints will refer to themselves as either "LDS" or "Mormon", mostly depending on local customs. In an area where the Church has many members, you'll hear "LDS" more (Utah, Idaho, etc.) In areas where the Church population isn't in the majority, they usually will use "Mormon" as it is more recognized.

Also, doesn't the skin change color with carbon monoxide poisoning? That may be why there is no picture and the variance between the 1 day and "decomposed".

I wonder if anyone distributed this information to the LDS churches in the area to see if any of the Wards had knowledge of this guy? Mormons are really *good* about fellowshipping and helping people out - day work, letting strangers stay in their homes, etc. It's been 25 years, but there might still be some of the older members that might remember.

Also, if the Mormons had helped him out in the past, he might have been inclined to donate his remaining money to them as thanks....

Thanks for clearing the terminology issue up for me.

I am not sure if skin changes color or not with carbon monoxide poisoning, I tried looking it up on Wikipedia and didn’t really find an answer. I noticed that there aren’t photos of the unidentified people on the Washoe County Coroner website (they seem to cover all the Nevada county except for Clark County (which covers their own unidentified persons and possibly those from Lincoln County and provides photos (which is really graphic, but I guess it really helps to reunite decedents with their families)). There are some discrepancies between the Washoe County and Doe Network listings (the decomposed v.s. he died one day prior and the differences in hair color).

I am not sure if anyone at the distributed his information to LDS churches in the area where he was found. I would like to get in touch with them now, to ask, even though it has been so long. I hope this is ok.

When I did the post, I couldn't find the listing for this man on NamUs. Today, I found it https://identifyus.org/cases/7428

It includes some more information, estimating that he had been dead for a week. It also says that he was found on US Hwy 6, 45 miles east of Ely, Nevada and his age cannot be determined (I wonder how the Doe Network estimated his age as between 40 and 46?). This is the first time I have heard that he wore eyeglasses, described as prescription glasses, and apparent "military non-prescription glasses."

NamUs described the circumstances of his death as
Found in vehicle on 01/25/1984 at 1017 hours, (1968 Chevrolet, faded grey/green in color, two-door hard top, no license plates, vin # 155118T240844) at the Willow Patch rest stop located approximately 45 miles east of Ely, Nevada in rural White Pine County, Nevada. There was a rubber hose affixed to the exhaust which travelled into the partially opened passenger window into the passenger compartment. The decedent had no identification on him.

To update about something else, I am continuing to attempt to contact LDS churches in the Ely, NV and Delta, UT area to see if anyone remembers this man but am having a difficult time finding e-mail contact information. Does anyone have any suggestions? Maybe I should just contact them via postal mail?

To update about something else, I am continuing to attempt to contact LDS churches in the Ely, NV and Delta, UT area to see if anyone remembers this man but am having a difficult time finding e-mail contact information. Does anyone have any suggestions? Maybe I should just contact them via postal mail?

Without a good image of the person, it's pretty difficult to get someone to know who you are talking about based on a description. Even if they do know the guy.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rainydaze17
Back