AL - Bonnie Pogue, 79, dies after eyes gouged out, Prichard, 18 April 2011 *Arrest*

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Horrific attack as man 'takes out uncle's eyeballs with a SPOON and leaves them in trash can'
A man plucked out his uncle’s eyeballs with a spoon and left them in the trash, police say.

Timayo Knight, 31, allegedly took out the eyes of his uncle, Bonnie Pogue, 79, and left a bloody spoon on the kitchen table in Prichard, Alabama.

Mr Pogue, a disabled U.S. Air Force veteran, survived the attack but is now in a serious condition in a local hospital’s intensive care unit, police said.
Mr. Knight seems to have a history of "unusual" behavior:
MOBILE, Alabama -- The Prichard man accused of gouging out his uncle's eyeballs this week has a previous history of bizarre behavior, including stalking a family and running through traffic, a prosecutor told a judge this morning.

http://blog.al.com/live/2011/04/eye_gouging_suspect_bizarre.html

More at links above.

"A husband whose wife rejected his sexual advances pounced on her, dragged her by the hair and gouged out her eyes with his fingers, a Florida court heard.
Eugene Roman, 50, gouged out his own eyes while in a Miami jail for beating her up and later did the same to her in a horrific attack that left the 48-year-old partially blind.
The ex-construction worker cried in court as he was sentenced to 25 years in prison after pleading guilty to aggravated battery and kidnapping in the May 2006 attack."

When we lived in London a mentally ill man in the next street killed his mother and aunt and removed their eyes.

*shudders*

In Shakespeare's greatest tragedy King Lear, Gloucester's eyes are plucked out:

CORNWALL
Lest it see more, prevent it. Out, vile jelly!
Where is thy lustre now?

GLOUCESTER
All dark and comfortless.

Indeed, indeed.

At a college at which I taught, a distraught student removed his eyes from their sockets and flushed them down the toilet.

Incredibly, he was granted bond yesterday, of $250,000. He is still in jail, though.

http://www.fox10tv.com/dpp/news/mobile_county/man-who-attacked-uncles-eyes-gets-bond

The uncle may not survive.

excerpt:
Timayo's uncle, 79-year-old Bonnie Pogue, is in serious condition and it is not known whether or not he will live.

"He is not talking. He is not conscious. He is on life support, a very grave situation," said Asst. District Attorney Jo Beth Murphree.

A valiant Veteran and he gets his eyes plucked out?

God Bless this poor man.

The only instance I can think of where someone gouged someone's eyeballs out is the convict/murderer of a beautiful young peaceful artist gouges out murderer of police men. Crazy *advertiser censored*s Ambrose Harris gouged out the eyes and murdered Robert "Mudman" Simon. That cheapens this poor brave man's story.

:eek: How horrible!!!!
My gosh. Don't know what to say.

Someone has to be really sick to do something like that or on major drugs.. PCP or something...

Severe mental illness can make someone do that, I nursed a girl who cut her hand off as she thought the devil was in it. She was an intelligent girl but tormented

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!1!!

God Bless this poor man.

The only instance I can think of where someone gouged someone's eyeballs out is the convict/murderer of a beautiful young peaceful artist gouges out murderer of police men. Crazy *advertiser censored*s Ambrose Harris gouged out the eyes and murdered Robert "Mudman" Simon. That cheapens this poor brave man's story.

I feel for this man.

Filly, I'm sure you're as familiar with the Mudman as I am... I have no sympathy for him, his eyes or the loss of his life...

God Bless this poor man.

I looked up this case, as I had not heard of it before. Harris was acquitted of the prison murder of Simon. The jury said he acted in self-defense. He was already on death row for the murder of young Kristin Huggins in Trenton in 1992. Of course, New Jersey did away with the death penalty a few years ago, so he's going to spend the rest of his life in prison. I would keep him away from other inmates, for their own safety.

Prichard eyeball gouging victim dies; nephew to be charged with murder

MOBILE, Alabama -- Bonnie Pogue, the Prichard man whose eyeballs were gouged out with a spoon, died Saturday afternoon.
---
Prichard police were called Monday to the 79-year-old Pogue’s Bronner Street home, and found Pogue bleeding from his face.

Later, investigators discovered Pogue’s eyeballs in a trashcan and a bloody spoon on a kitchen counter, according to police. Knight was still inside the house.

And, not surprisingly, given Timayo Knight's history of odd behavior,
From 2003 to 2006, family members filed several petitions asking the Mobile County Probate Court to involuntarily commit Knight to Searcy Hospital, a psychiatric facility in Mount Vernon.

Knight stayed at the facility twice, and was treated for suffering from paranoid and depressive symptoms.
Much more at link above.

Like I really need to add to the horror here, but...

I remember two other eye-out incidents:

One, not so long ago, where a man bit his tiny son's eyeballs out. Oh, god, I can't even stand thinking about it again. The father was paralyzed, I believe, and crawled away to try and cut off his leg or something? I may have some of this wrong, but I know the eyeball part is right.

The other is a murky memory from, like, Reader's Digest or something, in the 60s-70s. They had a short series of Reefer Madness type stories where drugs led to these horrific and bizarre outcomes. I don't know if they were true or not. Now they smack of urban legend. The one I recall now is about a guy named Charlie or Charles, who was in a jail cell and plucked his own eyes out.

Well, if I think of any more....

Before this sad thread slides entirely from view, here are a couple of cultural "eyeball" references - perhaps the first case in literature being that of Oedipus, who, in Sophocles's Oedipus Rex, blinds himself upon learning that the Delphic Oracle's words have proven true - that he would kill his father and marry his mother. Thus, the theme of auto-enucleation - of blinding oneself - entered Western culture.

But two from just last century are also interesting. The first is a short (extremely short) story by the Mexican writer and poet Octavio Paz, a tale of near-horror from a genre one might label "assaultive eye-gouging." It's here, in its entirety, a very short, uncomfortable-but-excellent, read: The Blue Boquet.

And I couldn't lay this grim topic to rest without linking to the Adverts's great late-'70s single "Gary Gilmore's Eyes," a song as clever as it is slightly sick (and capped with the great line, "Gary don't need his eyes to see, / Gary and his eyes have parted company"), based on the true premise that multiple-murderer Gilmore wished to donate his eyes to science after he was executed (and an honorable mention in this category to the Pixies's song "Gouge Away"):
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKG2rG-s29M[/ame]

http://www.wkrg.com/alabama/article/accused-eye-gouger-charged-with-murder/1206443/Apr-26-2011_4-17-pm/

MOBILE, Alabama - The man accused of gouging out his elderly uncle's eyeballs is now charged with murder.

Investigators upgraded the charge against Timayo Knight, 30, this morning, three days after Bonnie Pogue died in a Mobile hospital.

http://blog.al.com/live/2011/04/judge_sets_500000_cash_bail_fo.html

Eye-gouging case: Judge sets $500,000 cash bail for Prichard suspect

District Judge Bob Sherling said while he believes that no bail is appropriate in this case, he by law must set a bail.

Then their was Andre Thomas...

Guy kills his wife and two kids, cuts out their hearts, puts them in his pocket and turns himself into the local police department.

Before his trial he plucks out one of his eyes and eats it (back in 2004, pretty good move for an insanity defense). Then later in prison (2009) he plucks out the OTHER eye and swallows that one too.

Article with a photo when he still had ONE eye:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/01/09/andre-thomas-texas-death-_n_156765.html

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back