733 users online (123 members and 610 guests)  

Websleuths News

Oh Captain, My Captain

The Titanic's Unknown Child Identified at last

"Five days after the passenger ship the Titanic sank, the crew of the rescue ship Mackay-Bennett pulled the body of a fair-haired, roughly 2-year-old boy out of the Atlantic Ocean on April 21, 1912. Along with many other victims, his body went to a cemetery in Halifax, Nova Scotia, where the crew of the Mackay-Bennett had a headstone dedicated to the "unknown child" placed over his grave."

Thanks to the remarkable devotion of Ryan Parr, an adjunct professor at Lakehead University in Ontario who has worked with DNA extracted from anchient human remains, this boy has now been identified within a 98% certainty. AFDIL opened up their databases for this project and a combination of Mitochondrial DNA and other forensic experts led to the conclusion that the little boy was Sidney Goodwin. Sidney was traveling with his parents and 5 siblings when the ship sank.

RIP little man.
    Last edited by OkieGranny; 02-16-2016 at 10:29 AM. Reason: fixed link
    email me

Long Lost Love: The Bob Harrod Story Disappeared/ID Network
    Amazon: Purchase Long Lost Love $1.99

Bob Harrod SAR

“The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them.”
    ― Maya Angelou

I've been to Sidney's grave - it's good to have a name, now. Though, his grave has always been a wonderful way to memorialize all the lost children from the disaster, many of whom were likely not recovered. I'm glad the family decided to leave the grave as it is.

Isn't that something? A very cool use for this technology, imo.

Hopeful One is offline Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones who let in the light
    Nerd Town Central
    Wow, pretty cool! And good for him for sticking with it for so long!

Justice for Travis

Sometimes the first step towards forgiveness is understanding that the other person is a complete idiot.

Penn's woods
    Rest in peace Sidney. It's nice to finally know the name your Mother and Father chose for you the day you were born.