1148 users online (289 members and 859 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

PA - Off Duty Police Officer Critically Shoots 23 Year Old

An off duty police officer critically wounded a 23 year old man after he shot him outside a Frankford home.

The Officer said he saw the man walk into a home carrying a firearm and announced he was a Police Officer.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/pe...120681954.html

So far in the news they are saying this was actually caused by a fight over a parking space. The off duty Officer was helping to move a friend into a new home on the same street as the young man.

Josh Taylor is in a medically induced coma. He faces several surgeries.

According to Taylor's fiancee Taylor ran into his own home as if someone was chasing him. The off duty officer then entered the house. He looked at Taylor's fiancee and shot him in front of his own children.

Internal Affairs is investigating.

Taylor admittedly had a firearm which is registered. It was unloaded when he went to show a friend/neighbor. They were to go to the range later in the day.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/120714619.html

Quote Originally Posted by Filly View Post
    Josh Taylor is in a medically induced coma. He faces several surgeries.

According to Taylor's fiancee Taylor ran into his own home as if someone was chasing him. The off duty officer then entered the house. He looked at Taylor's fiancee and shot him in front of his own children.

Internal Affairs is investigating.

Taylor admittedly had a firearm which is registered. It was unloaded when he went to show a friend/neighbor. They were to go to the range later in the day.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/120714619.html

17 years of experience as an officer. I am going to give the officer a little grace, at least until and unless we find out his record is riddled with problems.

However, it seems like a drastic over reaction on the officer's part to me. I also find it difficult to believe that the 23 year old would point an unloaded gun at the officer-----unless he saw a person in street clothes rushing at him and pointing a gun at HIM---and did not hear the man identify himself as an officer of the law.

Tragic situation. Those poor children! To see their daddy shot... Many prayers for them and the others involved.

Whoops. Just read the second article, and I am inclined to be less supportive of the officer. The fact that no on e heard him identify himself is troublesome, but the statements are from people who were behind closed doors, so that by itself is not a deal breaker for me.

Combined with the statement of the fiancé, however, it becomes more troublesome. If this officer truly came through the door of this man's door and shot him in the chest without speaking a word, he has lost my support. If he turned and ran into another home after the shooting, that REALLY smacks of wrong-doing. That is not at all how an officer should react if he has justifiably shot someone.