April 26th, 2011 Dunn relative taking action over Facebook

Status
Not open for further replies.
Baloney!! It seems they can dish it out but they can't take it.

~jmo~

This is in MSM and you can discuss it in general.

But anything you read on FB you still need to discuss in the Parking Lot. We are not bringing that drama to the forum.

Last I looked the Parking Lot was locked. Is it open again and I cannot find it?

And Big Country is MSM? So, comments allowed?

Just trying to behave.

Good luck with that case! Slander is hard to prove, first she has to establish that her reputation was perfect and great before the comments were made, then she has to prove that she has suffered a loss as a result of those comments. Just having your feelings hurt by what someone says about you is not a case for slander. Otherwise what use would we have for the 1st Amendment?

Poor Hailey, your still missing and look at the way all of the people in your life are acting, no wonder you had no one to turn to, before you went missing, you're probably the most mature one in the whole bunch.

Good luck with that case! Slander is hard to prove, first she has to establish that her reputation was perfect and great before the comments were made, then she has to prove that she has suffered a loss as a result of those comments. Just having your feelings hurt by what someone says about you is not a case for slander. Otherwise what use would we have for the 1st Amendment?

She doesn't need to establish that her reputation "was perfect and great before the comments were made". If the allegations were false and she suffered damage, she would be entitled to restitution. The person making the allegation would have to prove that what they were claiming was true. The 1st amendment allows you to express an opinion, it does not allow you to make a false allegation with impunity.

She doesn't need to establish that her reputation "was perfect and great before the comments were made". If the allegations were false and she suffered damage, she would be entitled to restitution. The person making the allegation would have to prove that what they were claiming was true. The 1st amendment allows you to express an opinion, it does not allow you to make a false allegation with impunity.

Does that go for Desiree Young and Terri Horman, I wonder, in the event that someone unrelated is eventually charged with Kyron's abduction and/or murder? I am not sure who the burden of proof falls on...the accuser or the accused.

http://www.texas-opinions.com/law-defamation-libel-slander.html

What would PT claim as damages I wonder?

I do not believe she would be entitled to anything given that she is not without fault. Other stuff might even be true, and it is hard to say if the stuff stated on facebook was posted as speculation or not as well as alot of stuff was stated as speculation.
None of it has damaged her income or harmed her in any lasting way. If anything her choices have lead to some opinion. IMO.
The only really awful thing posted I saw was later retracted and the author admitted he didnt know if the rumor was true. I really dont think she has a case anywhere.

I think she wanted some type of reaction and she got that with WOTS being taken down. I still think there should have been other polys given...I'd almost bet that info could be gleaned from them.

Hope all things calm down now with the exception of finding Hailey and her case going forward.

:waitasec:

PT is the "mother" of Naomi, who is the "girlfriend" of CD, who is the "father" of Hailey.

I don't mean to be ugly ... but she is NOT even a "blood relative" of Hailey.

From what I remember, PT was running around calling herself Hailey's GM.

So what type of "damages" has PT suffered ?
What type of "job" did she have ?

It appears to me, she is looking for $$$$$.

Shouldn't PT (the rest of that bunch), be MORE concerned about the FACT that Hailey is still missing !!

PT is the "mother" of Naomi, who is the "girlfriend" of CD, who is the "father" of Hailey.

Shouldn't PT (the rest of that bunch), be MORE concerned about the FACT that Hailey is still missing !!

And apparently knows how to use a lawsuit to get it ... Makes me sick to my stomach.

:rocker:
Exactly.

Yeah, but you know what? Those folks on FB drag this woman into the conversation every time there's a slow news day because she is a hot topic. Dragging these people connected to Hailey through the dirt every day is tacky and is obviously now backfiring, and that's not helping Hailey either.

"Damages" are whatever a Judge or Jury are willing to give her. Nowadays, LE takes any type of threat on FB very seriously.

I have to say that my son has a daughter with a woman who later had another child by someone else. Both girls are my grandaughters. Even though I am not 'blood related', the second child is as much my grandaughter as the first. I can understand if Naomi and Clint have been in a relationship for some time, that PT considers herself grandma...there are many people in my small town that probably think I am really her grandma...

I have to say that my son has a daughter with a woman who later had another child by someone else. Both girls are my grandaughters. Even though I am not 'blood related', the second child is as much my grandaughter as the first. I can understand if Naomi and Clint have been in a relationship for some time, that PT considers herself grandma...there are many people in my small town that probably think I am really her grandma...

Um....no....she isn't. You have no claim on her.

I think PT is going to have a hard time. There are thousands trying to get to the truth, and libel in this case is going to be very hard to prove, and quite costly if she's trying to prove libel against a person in another jurisdictions. In a case I'm familiar with (family) said family member had to go to that person's local LE and file documents. You can't just do it from the comfort of your couch.

WIKI:

How to prove libel
There are several ways a person must go about proving that libel has taken place. For example, in the United States, the person first must prove that the statement was false. Second, that person must prove that the statement caused harm. And, third, they must prove that the statement was made without adequate research into the truthfulness of the statement. These steps are for an ordinary citizen. In the case of a celebrity or public official trying to prove libel, they must prove the first three steps, and must (in the United States) prove the statement was made with the intent to do harm, or with reckless disregard for the truth.

MOO

Mel

Um....no....she isn't. You have no claim on her.

I disagree. It is not a matter of 'blood' relations. It is a matter of emotional connectedness. If your family dynamics are such that you can 'act' like a grandparent, and are around for important events and holidays,then you may be more of one than the blood relative who is not around.

My stepfather was much more of a grandfather to my kids than my father was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23